Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on switching handle bars on Tri-Bike

Options
  • 24-07-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Pretty new to the triathlon scene. I finished my first one in early July in a wet and windy Kilkee (Hell of the West).

I bought the Trek Speed Concept 7.0 for the cycle, during the cycle I found that I did not use the Tri-Bars on the bike unless I was changing the gears.

What I am trying to find out is, would it be possible to change the handlebars to regualr Road Bike handle bars with the Gear shifters integrated into the break levers like a usual bike.

At the moment, the Gears are on the top of the tri-bars and are really awkward to change.

I am planning to training in a group for a cycle next year in France and with funds been tight I won't be able to afford a new Road bike and wouldn't be able to use the trek with the tri-bars cycling in a group.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

To be honest it sounds alot like you have the wrong bike for your needs.

a steep angled tri bike will not ride "right" with road bars. The conversion will also be expensive as the most expensive part of a groupset is the shifters.

I suppose you really need to ask yourself what you want from a bike?

Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Bought the bike in the Bike Shop in Limerick. Used it maybe once or twice for training before the triathlon and then on the day. Had it up on adverts but decided to hold onto it.

New to the whole cycling scene in general. Training for a cycle in France at the moment by myself on teh bike but will be going out in a group soon so cant be using the bars.

Thought changing the bars might be an option but that may be the wrong option.

Might have to talk to herself and tell her I need a new bike. She controls the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wackoy2k wrote: »
    Bought the bike in the Bike Shop in Limerick. Used it maybe once or twice for training before the triathlon and then on the day. Had it up on adverts but decided to hold onto it.

New to the whole cycling scene in general. Training for a cycle in France at the moment by myself on teh bike but will be going out in a group soon so cant be using the bars.

Thought changing the bars might be an option but that may be the wrong option.

Might have to talk to herself and tell her I need a new bike. She controls the funds.

They always do!

Advertisement