Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac Level 5 and maintenance grant

Options
  • 24-07-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    I am 16 and doing a FETAC level 5 course in september at a FE college.
    SUSI says I can not get a grant at level 5 only at level 6. I am confused:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

Jamiegirl wrote: »
    Hi
    I am 16 and doing a FETAC level 5 course in september at a FE college.
    SUSI says I can not get a grant at level 5 only at level 6. I am confused:confused:

If this is a PLC course in a second level school/colege and u never did a FETAC level 5 before, you should be entitled to a grant. :rolleyes:Follow this through, it looks like a mistake. Ring susi.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

No grants for level 5. I did one last year. You have to go onto BTEA as far as I remember. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

:confused:
    There are grants for PLC course at FETAC level 5 as long as its a fulltime course and in a recognised adult education/ PLC college.
    Approved courses
    4. The following courses are prescribed as "approved courses" for the purposes of section 8(1)(c) of the Act—
    (a) full-time courses, known as "post-leaving certificate courses"—
    (i) that take not less than one year to complete;
    (ii) that are provided by an approved institution that comes within
    the terms of section 7(1)(d) of the Act and listed in Part D of
    Schedule 1;
    (iii) that are approved for funding by the Minister as post-leaving certificate courses; and
    (iv) on the successful completion of which, a student is awarded a
    major education and training award which is a recognised qualification that is not at a lower level than Level 5 in the framework of qualifications
    ;

Taken from the student support regulations 2012:
    http://ym.adnet.ie/downloads/1339418633/Student_Support_Regulations_2012.pdf

Pages 7 to 11 of this doc give the full list of PLC colleges that are recognised for the grant.

What exactly did SUSI say Jamiegirl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mc gripen

It looks as though the people in susi dont know their a**e from their elbow. They are denying people grants left right and centre for no apparent reason. I am currently in the middle of writinga very long e-mail to the taoiseach outlining what i believe is a massive problem. If people keep getting denied college grants for no reason then what will become of this country? Are we going to end up the most stupid country in the world? Now I cannot go to college and am likely to spend another year sitting at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

mc gripen wrote: »
    It looks as though the people in susi dont know their a**e from their elbow. They are denying people grants left right and centre for no apparent reason. I am currently in the middle of writinga very long e-mail to the taoiseach outlining what i believe is a massive problem. If people keep getting denied college grants for no reason then what will become of this country? Are we going to end up the most stupid country in the world? Now I cannot go to college and am likely to spend another year sitting at home.

Best to get on the phone to the Dept of Education and find out if the decision is the correct one. 05793/25317.

• Advertisement
Advertisement