Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem re secondary school

Options
  • 24-07-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

We've new neighbours, really lovely people. Both hard-working and really nice. Anyway they've kids. They spoke to my parents lastnight and were bothered. Seemingly some of the schools have new admissions policies and it's impossible to get in for this year. So my Mom convinced them to get the eldest lad to repeat 6th class but what's the situation with people who won't. He's not keen on the idea himself. Are schools actually that bulging at the seams? He wants more practical subjects so there's really only two places for him to go. His English is good but not perfect, it's an awful situation to be in and I'm rather shocked at how little help or sympathy there seem to be in schools for them. I'd have thought places needed numbers? Or am I wrong?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What new admission policies?
    Did you verify this yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The population of Galway city has increased every year since the early 80's but there aren't any new secondary schools. I suspect therein lies the problem.

It's a terrible situation.

What part of the city do you live in? I suggest that your neighbour contacts a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

No but my mother rang one of the schools, they had it up online too. I'm only 19 so wouldn't have a clue to be honest but I'm surprised schools aren't biting off their hand to get them in but my mother said they needed to be registered months ago.

We're in Claregalway. We go to a Gaelscoil so that's not a runner as they're Polish and that's the only school my parents know anyone in really. The policies all have dates ages ago as the final date, it makes for an interesting read to look at the school websites and read the small print! I think a politician might help but they finish up today in the Dáil so I'd imagine will be hard to find one. I'm e-mailing for them now.

That's always been the case.
    Schools have entrance exams in February/March for admission in September.
    Surely the national school made the parents aware?

Either way, there'll be a place for him in some school as you pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There was something in one of the papers a while back: secondary schools in the city are bulging at the seams, ones in the country are desperate for enrolments.

So one option is to travel out rather than in. Sorry, but I have no idea what the options might be looking outward from Claregalway. (And whether they are any good - maybe ask in the County forum?)

The national schools would be making parents aware, but as the OP said, the neighbours are new, maybe they didn't pay attention 'cos they knew they were moving.

The Dad got a transfer in June from Poland. They couldn't have done an entrance exam in March as didn't know they'd be moving. Sucks! He wants a school with all the practical subjects, from googling with his Mom and mine earlier I can see slim pickings even for next year.

Here's another thought:

If the Dad was transferred, he's clearly valuable to the company.

They should see if anyone in the company can help pull some strings to get the kids into a school. Either officially thru HR, or unofficially thru the colleagues.

A new secondary school is proposed for Claregalway:
    http://www.claregalwaynewschool.com/
    It is scheduled to open next year but a site or patron haven't been selected yet...

Alternatives to Galway are Athenry (not sure how they would get out there), Tuam (Burkes Buses would cover the commute), Oranmore and most distant would be Headford.

Schools%20Map.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bigger problem for boys than for girls. Surely Marys ain't full....till Claregalway opens, also look at Athenry which seems to have lots of schools.???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

can't verify at the moment but I have relatives in Lackagh that go to school in Athenry and get the bus, so there is a service. Also, Athenrys a good school so would do him no harm going there. However, an extra year in primary might be a good idea. He'd improve his English in an environment that wouldn't be as pressurized as secondary and have a better idea where to go next year.

Depends how old he is and how good at languages. 1st year secondary is not too heavy and he could catch up rapid and anyway he may be too old to repeat.

OP says the student's mind is set on two schools only..and appears upset that demand exceeds supply. There'll be a place for him in a school - it may not be his first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

first year is 10 times better than 6th class. makes a huge difference as 6th class your treated as a child and in 1st year your more a young adult.

we all cant get what we want after coming in at the last min.

Well the reason he chose the two schools he did was based on the practical subjects which he has an interest in. He doesn't want the language load of Geography, History etc and wants to do the 3T subjects. I can't get over how narrow the subject choices are in the boys schools. It's far harder for boys as was said here. They're not taking names for the new school yet either and personally I can't see it being built in a year! The new one in Doughiska is getting priority over the one in Claregalway anyway so that'd be more of a chance I suppose.
    The idea to get HR on the case is an excellent one. My parents are working late but when they get in I'll pass all this on, they know the parents next door much better than I do. Thanks all and any other ideas welcome too!
    Does Athenry have 3T, by the way, I can't find that online?

The VEC school
    http://www.countygalwayvec.com/english/services/schools-and-colleges/athenry-vocational-school.html
    The Pres in Athenry:
    http://www.presathenry.ie/curriculum.htm?

I'm not sure if there is a school bus to Athenry - Claregalway is in the city catchment area. Lackagh would be in the Athenry area I think.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

theres irish kids on the waiting list ahead of him it seems,should get place first ahead of him,be no different with irish kid going to poland

Does it go on who is on the list first or who does better in the entrance exams?

Does it go on who is on the list first or who does better in the entrance exams?

No evidence, but I suspect that there are official and unofficial answers to that question, and also to how the polices are applied.

At least some schools say that the exam doesn't affect who gets in, it's just to help work out what teaching they will need.

JustMary wrote: »
    At least some schools say that the exam doesn't affect who gets in, it's just to help work out what teaching they will need.

True in some cases.

If the kid has shortlisted Moneenageisha based on subject choices then they are in for an awful shock in September if you lot let him go there OP!!!!!

Get them to look at either Athenry Tech or Athenry Pres or failing that Calasanctius or Endas . All should have decent subject choices.

If their English does not come along get them to consider repeating first or second year secondary to help. The family may consider doing so in a new and frankly vapourific Claregalway secondary school in future but that school will not have a great subject choice until it is well established perhaps as much as 6 or 7 years hence.

• Advertisement

I've a friend in Galway Community College. If you get in the highest stream you're in a tiny, tiny class with all higher level students. It's one of the best schools for subject choices too from what he says. I'm not in Galway long but have never heard it called that, asked my Mom there and she said it used to be known as that.
    He looked at The Bish too but they don't do many/any practical subjects other than ones you pay extra for and do in your own time. I'd also say it's damn tough to get into there. Marys has very few practical subjects. The Jes impossible to get into. Endas is just a bit too far.
    It's looking unlikely that he'll go anywhere next year and to do 6th class again which sucks cos it's like a step back at his age I'd think.

As for entrance exams...we moved here not long ago, my sister tried to get into a school that was supposed to be impossible to get into last minute. She did an extrance exam and got called for it. However, neighbours kids were on the list ages, years, and did not get in. So I suspect a lot is on ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Hi All

I was under the impression that all schools had a "catchment" area where if a child was within it, the school had no choice but to take them over a student from another schools catchment area.

I know its been a long time since i was in first year but I was turned down by several due to this policy and had to go to the school who's catchment area I was in.

(Which sucked at the time coz my best friend had the same problem but even though he was a half mile down the road fell into a different school's area.)

Anyway, If this still the policy, they should find out which schools catchment area they are in and get on to that school to sort it out. If that school is not one of the ones he want's, well to be blunt, hard luck, coz I don't think any other school is obliged to take him.

But at least he won't be repeating 6th class

I don't think the catchment area is as important as it is in the UK (other than for school buses)

Speaking of the patronage of the new Claregalway school - the Minister for education announced that Galway County VEC will be the patron for the new school today.

It is still scheduled to open in September 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Which, depending on when the amalgamation of the VECs occurs, means teachers from the county and city will be used for that school. Doubt there will be any new jobs considering the first year it's only first years they're taking on.

I could be wrong, but AFAIK in the Republic:

Individual schools are free to set their own catchment area, as part of their enrolment policy, but

There is no government policy / overview / whatever to ensure that all part of the country are covered by some school's catchment area.

Similarly, parents are legally required to ensure that their children go to school. But the Irish government is not legally required to make sure that there is a school place within reasonable travelling distance for any child in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

JustMary wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but AFAIK in the Republic:

Individual schools are free to set their own catchment area, as part of their enrolment policy, but

There is no government policy / overview / whatever to ensure that all part of the country are covered by some school's catchment area.

Similarly, parents are legally required to ensure that their children go to school. But the Irish government is not legally required to make sure that there is a school place within reasonable travelling distance for any child in the country.

I stand corrected

Schools, mainly Catholic schools, still have a catchment area which is contiguous with the parish boundary. This is still part of the enrollment criteria along with other family members having attended the school, certain feeder primary schools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Contact the Education Welfare Board: http://www.newb.ie/. It's their job to sort out problems like this. Everyone is entitled to a place in a school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

That's an excellent idea. Surprised it wasn't said before now.

Advertisement