Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem re secondary school

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Schools, mainly Catholic schools, still have a catchment area which is contiguous with the parish boundary. This is still part of the enrollment criteria along with other family members having attended the school, certain feeder primary schools etc.

I could maybe imagine that as true for primary schools - except that it doesn't quite work for new parishes that are established. Eg Doughiska became a parish in 2004, but didn't get a school 'til 2011.

But most of the parishes in the east of Galway city don't have a secondary school within miles, much less within their boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

For a child presently living in Claregalway, where is the catchment secondary school? Surely there isn't one. I know we had students in all three city schools I taught in from this area. They seem to go where they can get in. Bring on the new school is all I can say!

They apply to whichever they fancy - Moneen, Marys, Bish would probably be the favourites for the lads.

If they don't get their preference I think Moneen is the one that would have to take them.

Depending on what side of the parish they are on, family connections, commuting some will apply for Jarlaths in Tuam or the Pres in Athenry.

In my class most of the lads went to Moneen or Marys, a few went to the Bish and a few went to Jarlaths.

Advertisement