Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom ceiling repair (insulation & plaster/paint)

Options
  • 24-07-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi there, I hope some of you guys can help a novice...

I have black mould due to dampness around an extractor fan in a bathroom. I think this is due to the pipe going into attic not being insulated so the moisture is running back down the pipe to the ceiling. I hope to wrap the pipe in some sort of insulation to fix the problem...any suggestions on how to insulate. The pipe is flexible/soft.

My other question relates to repairing the ceiling as some of the plaster immediately around the fan has gone bad so I've chipped it off in the worst spots a couple of inches around where the fan sits in the ceiling. Can I fill this with something like ready mixed polyfilla (which I happen to have) as it's only a small section...or is this a bad idea/unsuitable? If so, what's best?

Also I plan to apply some sort of stain stopper - should this be applied before the plaster or after it dries before painting?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your problem is bigger than you think and will need to be looked at. That pipe does not need to be insulated.

If the plaster is flaking away its most likely the pipe was not fit right of not at all.

Have you got up to look

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah it's fitted alright, just checked it there again. One thing I did notice is that all the attic insulation was all moved away in the section of ceiling where the pipe connects to the vent in the attic...I think the builder had a look a few years back after I first noticed the damp spot. I guess he never put the insulation back as he was meant to follow it up and I hadn't noticed it until now as it's in a corner behind the water tank.

Do you think the connection is not secure based on the symptoms I've described?

Someone told me that pipe ought to be insulated and I notice the one from another extractor fan in the ensuite has been insulated albeit in a make-do manner (attic insulation wrapped around it using duct tape!).

You dont need to insulate it. all you need to do is ensure that if it goes straight up then it literally goes staight so the condensate falls back to the bathroom. If it goes out through the eves or gutters then make sure the fall goes out so the condensate goes out.

To be honest these are bullit proof.

I am guessing yours goes straigh up and is connected to the attic tiles and here might be your problem. The water is comeing in down the pipe and effecting your plaster.

All this is really guess work without seeing and a lot of photos.

The pipe doesn't go straight up vertically to the roof but diagonally up from the fan and gradually up to the roof...I can try to send a photo in a while...

gandroid wrote: »
    The pipe doesn't go straight up vertically to the roof but diagonally up from the fan and gradually up to the roof...I can try to send a photo in a while...

Is the outside of the pipe near the roof wet. You will need to check when its raining. If so its the seal where it meets the tiles.

• Advertisement

Photos attached. Hope this helps.

Is the outside of the pipe near the roof wet. You will need to check when its raining. If so its the seal where it meets the tiles.

No. It's raining now (Galway!) and I just checked it.

I probably should have said that it's when someone has a bath that the problem seems to get worse. Bathroom steams up and the odd drop of water drips back down from the fan. So I think this is the condensation not escaping and turning back into water and running back down the pipe. Hope this makes sense...

Joey (or anyone else!) any further advice based on my questions and attached photos?

Do I need to insulate the pipe from the fan in the attic?

Would pre-mixed polyfilla be suitable to plastering the section around the fan itself where the old plaster had to be flaked away?

Thanks,

G

I am sorry. I got distracted with other problems. The pictures are fine tbh. There is only 2 things i can think of.

1. The fan is not used all the time when bathing.

2. The capacity of the fan to extract the air is not strong and i doubt this.

To be honest insulating the pipe will do nothing for your problem

The only thing i would so is polyfilla and sand it and paint it and see if it re occurs.

I honestly cannot tell what the problem is and there is nothing wrong with your photos/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

One question, is the hose fully connected to the extractor?

Best thing to do is plaster the part where the plaster came off and get a mould resistant undercoat.

Polyfilla would work but would be a pain in the back side to get it as smooth before it dries and to sand it after drying.

Use the dettol mould remover to get rid of the mould first, it's in a green bottle and works wonders. Can get it in Tesco etc..

After the undercoat get a good tin of ceiling paint, and paint over.

What I noticed was the plasterboard in the attic has no evidence of a leak so if the hose isn't fully connected to the extractor the condensation is escaping and travelling along your ceiling through the plasterboard.

Can you confirm the extractor has a secure grip to the hose?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. The thought had occurred to me to check the pipe connection with the fan also so I am going to have a look at it to be sure. It's in an awkward pokey place to get at so haven't had a chance yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Use pva bond first where the paint has pealed. I had peeling paint due to insulation having been moved and when I painted over it peeled again on second coat with roller and destroyed the job.

Advertisement