Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Food ???

Options
  • 24-07-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I will be having my daughter christened at the end of Aug and I am considering catering at home for it.

There will be 15 adults and 3 kids that need feeding.

At first I was thinking of doing a Xmas dinner as such but if the weather was nice I don't think this would work, then I was thinking of doing lasange and salads but not sure what kind of salads would hold best all day as ceremony is at 4.30.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice for me, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I was just talking to my younger sister and she reminded me that my brother hates lasange :rolleyes:and also I don't think that my grandmother will eat it either.

I was only thinking of something that I'd like to eat, need to get the thinking hat on again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

would BBQ be an option Fitz??
    Or maybe try and do a chilli..longer it cooks better it tatses..rice can be done in batches, or in advance, bowl of chilli, rice and tortilla chips, blue cheese dip and bob is the job ;)
    if it was me i'd get a couple of shoulders of pork and do pulled pork sandwiches!! if your in the city Molloys butchers in Ardkeen will get ye in a few shoulders for the pulled pork

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to have to get my thinking cap and shopping list in order and see what happens.

I have another few weeks to make up my mind so plenty of recipe books to be looked at:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I know someone who did this and all the guests said it was fantastic.

The parents did lasagne, curries, soups, salads, sandwiches, chicken, sausages, pasta (hot/cold) etc. There was also cakes/buns/ice cream etc.

Cottage/shepards pie is delicious, this one is delicious. You also get a lot of servings, I usually get about 12 from it and you can freeze any leftovers too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775643/cottage-pie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Think I would get some good sandwich bread make some chicken salad sandwiches and some ham salad ones. Maybe pimento cheese spread ones.Have chips and some nice potato salad and barbeque beans. Cookies, Cup cakes and some pink lemonade. All that sounds good to me, put paper towel between sandwich layers and then wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap- keep in the fridge. Everything else keeps in the fridge too. It may be that this sounds appealing to me as we are having a heat wave here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

Been to a confirmation and 2 christenins for my niece and nephews in the last year, for all my mum cooked a ham and a chicken and made potato salad. I made a chicken curry and lasange and the kids mum did salads and layed all the cold salad out. Everyone helped themselves and seemed to be somethin for everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Cold meats - Ham, Beef, Chicken and cheese (rolled up retro stylee!)
    Lettuce - big bowl
    Tomatoes - lots sliced
    Slaw - big bowl of carrot and onion grated with parsley
    Eggs plenty of them halved and topped with mayo sprinkled with parsley
    Scallions - chopped in a bowl
    Potato salad - new potatoes boiled, scallion, mayo, s&p, mayo
    Home made brown bread and Soda Bread sliced
    Small bread rolls

Lay it all out, stack the plates, leave cutlery and let people serve themselves :)

Buns/cupcakes/Cake/Cheesecake/Ice cream/Jelly/Trifle/Fruit Salad for sweet. Beer, wine, fizzy drinks, juice, tea and coffee and surely everyone will get a decent feed!

Beauty of this is you can make it all before hand hand have it in the fridge no cooking or heating up, it looks good all and if you have lots nobody will go hungry.

Advertisement