Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC price increase - DONT PAY IT!

• 24-07-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I got a letter to say that UPC will be increasing the price of my service. The letter justified this by stating 4 major improvements in service that UPC have implemented over the last year:
    1. Increase in broadband speed
    2. Introduction of HD TV
    3. Increased range of channels
    4. Remote record app for smartphones
    It said that my price increase would be 1.59/month (after querying this I've been told it's actually 1.99/month!).

At first I took exception to this as I only have broadband with UPC, and therefore only one of these is relevant to me. Not only that but I already pay over 7 euro a month for the privilidge of NOT having their TV service.

I then find out that my colleague who only has the TV service, but has the full TV package, is only getting a 46 cent increase in charges!

Why are UPC making their Broadband customers subsidise the cost of their TV packages?

I called their customer loyalty department and was told that this is because they have performed upgrades in the last year. This is bollox, because when that upgrade were performed I was texted to say that it was a FREE upgrade. They're effectively retrospecively charging for something they claim to be free.

I personally am not prepared to pay this increase. Are you?

Are you willing to pay this increase? 31 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 31 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So, are you going to cancel? I don't think it's an optional increase. You either pay, or terminate your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

MarkR wrote: »
    So, are you going to cancel? I don't think it's an optional increase. You either pay, or terminate your service.

They never mentioned anything to me about being able to cancel. They said "This charge will be applied automatically and we cannot prevent this".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If you're not happy with it then don't pay it,you're only other option is Eircom's shoddy service though.You would be sacrificing a lot of speed to avoid paying UPC an extra €1.99 or whatever.

The €7 standalone BB charge is there because if you have BB coming into the house you also have the standard 20 or so analogue channels for free.The reason you get them is that its' impossible for UPC to supply you with broadband via cable and not also supply you with their analogue television service, because the analogue TV service is unencrypted and viewable by anyone who has a UPC connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I'm amazingly pissed off at this, but you're right, I suspect I'm going to have to cave in the end. There's nothing even close to UPC at the moment in my area.

About the extra 7 euro, does this mean they won't charge this after the switch to digital o Oct 24th? I think not!

The digital switchover doesn't apply to cable,only to Ireland's terrestrial UHF analogue transmissions.UPC will still be supplying analogue cable for a good while yet.

I wouldn't really begrudge UPC this small increase tbh,they have invested massively in the upgrade of their network over the past few years in fairness,unlike Eircom etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

kevpatts wrote: »
    They never mentioned anything to me about being able to cancel. They said "This charge will be applied automatically and we cannot prevent this".

You can give notice of cancellation from one month of receipt of the letter. Might be no harm to call to cancel because of this. You never know, you may get a discount as a customer retention thing. Let us know how you get on! (I'm on broadband and telephone only)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

wait... its 2 EUR for an upgrade from 100mb to 120mb? or 50 to 60mb? or getting HD channels (which sky charge about 15 eur for)? or extra channels (which sky also charge you for)? and your complaining? Did i miss something? it is per month, right? not per MB or extra pixel in the HD stream, or extra channel on the digital? anyway, is it not in-line with inflation increases anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not only that but I already pay over 7 euro a month for the privilidge of NOT having their TV service.
    Why are you paying that anyway? You can get a bundle of BB and phone (which you don't have to actually use if you don't want/need it) for less than BB alone plus the standalone charge.

For example ...

25Mb = €37 + €7.88 = €44.88 pm

25Mb + phone bundle = €42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I got a letter to say that UPC will be increasing the price of my service. The letter justified this by stating 4 major improvements in service that UPC have implemented over the last year:
    1. Increase in broadband speed
    2. Introduction of HD TV
    3. Increased range of channels
    4. Remote record app for smartphones
    It said that my price increase would be 1.59/month (after querying this I've been told it's actually 1.99/month!).

At first I took exception to this as I only have broadband with UPC, and therefore only one of these is relevant to me. Not only that but I already pay over 7 euro a month for the privilidge of NOT having their TV service.

I then find out that my colleague who only has the TV service, but has the full TV package, is only getting a 46 cent increase in charges!

Why are UPC making their Broadband customers subsidise the cost of their TV packages?

I called their customer loyalty department and was told that this is because they have performed upgrades in the last year. This is bollox, because when that upgrade were performed I was texted to say that it was a FREE upgrade. They're effectively retrospecively charging for something they claim to be free.

I personally am not prepared to pay this increase. Are you?

OP, what does it say in the terms and conditions of UPC's service? I do recall a similar price increase back in 2010 I think, and the conclusion of the thread was that UPC had something along the lines of "we reserve the right to hike up the price at any time as we see fit" in the T's & C's.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

OP, what does it say in the terms and conditions of UPC's service? I do recall a similar price increase back in 2010 I think, and the conclusion of the thread was that UPC had something along the lines of "we reserve the right to hike up the price at any time as we see fit" in the T's & C's.

As mentioned previously in the thread you can cancel without penalty within 30 days of being notified of the price increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

If you're not happy with it then don't pay it,you're only other option is Eircom's shoddy service though.You would be sacrificing a lot of speed to avoid paying UPC an extra €1.99 or whatever.

The €7 standalone BB charge is there because if you have BB coming into the house you also have the standard 20 or so analogue channels for free.The reason you get them is that its' impossible for UPC to supply you with broadband via cable and not also supply you with their analogue television service, because the analogue TV service is unencrypted and viewable by anyone who has a UPC connection.

I rang them regarding the stand alone charge and they cancelled it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Apogee

The €7 standalone BB charge is there because if you have BB coming into the house you also have the standard 20 or so analogue channels for free.

Have UPC told you that this is the reason for the standalone charge, or did you come to this conclusion yourself?

The reason I ask is that analogue TV hasn't been available on UPC cable in Cork for quite a while.

Was told that was the reason when we ordered a few years back,analogue is still available in Dublin anyways.

Advertisement