Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on lecturing

• 24-07-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I am a newly qualified accountant. I am looking into lecturing! I hear that it is really difficult to get into . I am wondering if anyone has any experience of going down that route as I am currently employed and have a secure job. I have always wanted to do lecturing but I don't have a masters and I would be open to doing one part time. I know that you need a phd for lecturing in university so I am looking more into ITs. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

hi,

You need to get your Masters first. Even with the Masters ideally you would need teaching qualification (for third level) and/or several years working in industry. At that, you will be competing for some jobs with people with phds and previous teaching experience. There is little jobs in the area like the other educational sectors.

If its something you really want to get into you should try and teach a nightcourse somewhere first as you get some experience and can keep you day job going.

trihead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I don't think you need a masters, as your acca qualification is at masters level. However, did you get an under graduate degree before you qualified as an acca?

The reason being that you will be lecturing students in the IT iector and that's likely to be different to how you studied for your acca exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Claire877

Thanks for your replies! Yeah I have done a degree in accounting lasting 3 years. I know it is hard to get into lecturing but I want to give it my best shot.
    Yeah I don't think a masters would help as I have the aca qualifictaion and there would be no point in doing a masters in accounting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You don't need a Masters to lecture in an Institute of Technology. The job descriptions state a Bachelors degree plus three years post grad experience are necessary.

However, in reality, you would most likely need a masters to be considered.

I created a thread a long time back on how I got into lecturing. Briefly, I did as others are suggesting - night classes (I already had industry experience as a technical trainer, which stood to me). I've looked around a number of IT websites over the past few weeks and have noticed a lot of such jobs being advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Claire877 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies! Yeah I have done a degree in accounting lasting 3 years. I know it is hard to get into lecturing but I want to give it my best shot.
    Yeah I don't think a masters would help as I have the aca qualifictaion and there would be no point in doing a masters in accounting now.

You've the qualifications - now go for it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement