Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Butcher

Options
  • 24-07-2012 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Thinking of getting trying to order some meat (Pork,beef and lamb) through an online butchers shop.
    Want to improve the quality of what I am eating so would like to try and get some of the lesser cuts which you sometimes have to request in a butchers shop.
    I would also prefer to avoid the mass producers too i.e. The Premium Butchers/Dawn meats (they are close enough to home if i want to go there)
    Can anyone recommend a good online butcher and links to websites etc. m based in south east, so something in the region would be ideal, somehwere I could maybe go and see the animals and ensure good raring and animal welfare etc
    Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Excellent Butcher shop http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Miaireland wrote: »
    Exactly the one that I would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Melendez wrote: »
    I have tried a fair few at this stage and have settled on Michael Twomey as my best fit. I've got aboy €1000 worth of meat of him this year and I haven't been disappointed with anything. Stars of the show have been the 16oz T-bones.

http://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie/about-us-page.html

Never knew he had a website. I have often bought from the shop. Always good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Thanks all, had seen those sites alright, except the bane farm one.. if anyone knows others please do let me know..

Good to get opinions on their produce regardless, think Twomeys or McCarthy's will get a visit soon.

I think there's a wicklow lamb place where ye can buy half an organic
    lamb butchered for 80 quid so might try that out, and saw an adopt a pig site and they offer 90 quid for a quarter hog and 340 for full hog butchered and delivered. Anyone used these??

• Advertisement

Also does anyone know if its possible to buy Veal online.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

brinty wrote: »
    I think there's a wicklow lamb place where ye can buy half an organic lamb butchered for 80 quid so might try that out,
    I'm not sure it's strictly organic, but is this what you mean?

http://www.killruddery.com/shop/

thanks Alun, thats the one i was thinking off

The pork one is http://www.adopt-a-pig.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

After reading this thread and looking some of the links, if there's one thing I'll be making sure of when (or rather if!) I get my kitchen done it's to get a (much) bigger freezer!

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    After reading this thread and looking some of the links, if there's one thing I'll be making sure of when (or rather if!) I get my kitchen done it's to get a (much) bigger freezer!

I hear ye on this Alun....have a small 3 drawer freezer and half a lamb would fill 2 of them so need more space to have pork, beef and lamb in there...as well as having the normal veg, bread, ice cream(for my better half) etc in it

thats some selection Melendez..love a shoulder of lamb though, so have to throw in a few of them too, but my local butcher sells them for about 7 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

brinty wrote: »
    Also does anyone know if its possible to buy Veal online.

James Whelan have Rose Veal steaks on their website.

Cheers mmcn90, got veal chops in a restaurant a few years ago, they were gorgeous, and remember having veal as a young fella, al;ways gorgeous and a treat, at 12 quid for 2 steaks might just be buying them ;)

Yeah I love veal as well. It's a shame so many people refuse to eat rose veal due to the misconceptions regarding welfare of the animal. It would be much more readily available if the general public were better informed on high welfare veal.

I agree 100% what that, veal is beautiful so long as the calves are well reared and properly bred..as you say the general public don't see past the misconceptions...yet the majority will buy crap meat/poultry etc in the supermarket which is even more intensively farmed

Thats why I'm changing over to this kind off purchasing of meat... buy from people who know what they are doing

Thats a great offer Melendez..
    Might get some of that??

Melendez wrote: »

I really wish I had enough room in my freezer to buy that offer :(

Venison is really nice, a haunch makes a loevly roasting joint so long as ye don't over cook it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

http://www.yourfieldmyfork.com/ is good for finding local farmers who sell meat & farm produce directly although not sure what the set up for payment & delivery is because you deal with each farmer directly.

http://www.hellfirepigs.net sells free range, organic pork by the pig, half pig or box of piggy goodness

Cheers Melendez,

Will give that a go so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I dont know if they have veal - I never use it myself - but McGeoughs in Oughterard now have online sales and delivery

Advertisement