Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is moving to London or the UK really emigrating?

• 24-07-2012 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I know I'll get a few West Brit jibes for this one, but my point here is if you move from Ireland to the UK you may be moving to a different state or jurisdiction but in my opinion I don't really believe it's full on ''emigration'', like it would be going to Canada, the US in terms of distance or mainland Europe where you'd have to learn another language.

Do you feel like your in a foreign country when you step off at Holyhead or Heathrow ], I for one, don't.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

of course it's emigrating ffs......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yes, yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Have you left Ireland to live/work in the UK? I have and it feels like emigration to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No, my sister moved over to London last year and its practically Ireland. Takes her no time to come home every couple of months and with Skype and whatnot its not too bad.

Also, not everyone emigrating is a hard luck story who just can't catch a break in Ireland. My sister left a well paid permanent job here to take up a better opportunity in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yes it is emigrating, you are moving to a police state and a different world. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's certainly less disruptive than heading to the like of the US or Australia. There's also a case whereby it could take you less time to travel home to Dublin from England than it would to travel home to Cork from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Technically yes. But you wouldn't call a trip to Liverpool a foreign holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

No, it's commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I still don't see it as emigrating in it's fullest sense, I see an Irish person moving to England as being not much different to a Scot moving to England or a Flemish person moving to the Netherlands or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

They use funny munny and drink warm beer. How foreign can you get?

Are the National in Kilburn & the Galtymore in Cricklewood still going?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I left Ireland to work in Britain (for an Irish company initially). It is emigrating. All the Irish lads I know over here consider it emigrating. Good things are we enjoy the work and make enough money to support ourselves and make regular trips home. I'd imagine most of us will return home within a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Move to Wales, live in one of the Welsh speaking areas, there's your new language
    Or go to Scotland and learn some Scots gaelic.

Or just move to fúcking brummyland, the brummy accent is like another language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

dd972 wrote: »
    I still don't see it as emigrating in it's fullest sense, I see an Irish person moving to England as being not much different to a Scot moving to England or a Flemish person moving to the Netherlands or vice versa.
    Are you an Irish person who's moved to England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Yes it is emigrating, you are moving to a police state and a different world. :p
    a thousand a week are doing it,one day you will be by yourself talking to rabbits and things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

emigrate - 'to leave one country or region to settle in another'

so yes of course it is, unless your one of those mad raving unionists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If I put it this way...

It further from Cork or Galway to London than from Dublin, not only in distance.

biko wrote: »
    If I put it this way...

It further from Cork or Galway to London than from Dublin, not only in distance.

In fairness, anywhere outside of Dublin is another country to me. Went to Meath one day, sounded like another language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is this going to be the new bragging bull**** to replace the "My house is sooo expensive" nonsense of the Tiger?

"London? Pssh! Sure, I moved all the way to Wellington, but I went via Nome, Alaska. London? Sure you'd walk home from there."

Emigrating = taking up residence in another country. In big places like the US, I would consider moving state to be emigrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Or just move to fúcking brummyland, the brummy accent is like another language.

Oi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

yes since you are moving to a foreign country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

brummytom wrote: »
    Oi!

I was wondering how long it would take you to see that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Oi!

He does have a point Tom.

Oi!
    we think that in manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    They use funny munny and drink warm beer. How foreign can you get?

Are the National in Kilburn & the Galtymore in Cricklewood still going?

National is some type of Church and galtymore is demolished

Oi!

Hey now, I have relatives born there.

You speak a different language.

Or as we say in the native Dublin tongue: Yis are bleedin' mad with yises weird fookin' languge. Ours is deadly lioke.

If I haven't emigrated why can't I vote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I know I'll get a few West Brit jibes for this one, but my point here is if you move from Ireland to the UK you may be moving to a different state or jurisdiction but in my opinion I don't really believe it's full on ''emigration'', like it would be going to Canada, the US in terms of distance or mainland Europe where you'd have to learn another language.

Do you feel like your in a foreign country when you step off at Holyhead or Heathrow ], I for one, don't.

I moved to London and yeah it certainly doesn’t feel like home. Its emigration in every sense. Its true England is very easy to adapt to but there is a distinct identity over there. I don’t think you need to wait to Union Jack waving Jubilee celebrations to notice it either.

Moving to many parts of the EU these days is a very easy process. Thats what I have leant since moving to Germany. There are lots of people who move to mainland Europe with little else than English. Maybe its just that globalisation is simply moving faster than your conception of what the term means.

a lot of english people consider london foreign as well,i notice this week in the news,that two schools in the area of the tower hamlets are teaching children cockney rhyming slang in hope to preserve local culture,good luck to them,but children with bangladeshi accents speaking in the cockney rhyming slang does not quite do it for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

getz wrote: »
    a lot of english people consider london foreign as well,i notice this week in the news,that two schools in the area of the tower hamlets are teaching children cockney rhyming slang in hope to preserve local culture,good luck to them,but children with bangladeshi accents speaking in the cockney rhyming slang does not quite do it for me .

With all of the nationalities living in London, it would be like emigrating to at least 100 countries at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You're dead right OP, you're still in the British Isles :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's emigration lite. London is lovely. You'll never want to go home once you settle in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Dublin is practically the same as any major UK city, im sure any Dub west Brit wouldn't notice a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Of course it's emigration.. been in London just over two years and now and it does feel like it. I would like to go home but there's genuinely no work for me or partner in our professions back in Ireland. Does feel like a necessity to be here more than anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

flash1080 wrote: »
    I left Ireland to work in Britain (for an Irish company initially). It is emigrating. All the Irish lads I know over here consider it emigrating. Good things are we enjoy the work and make enough money to support ourselves and make regular trips home. I'd imagine most of us will return home within a few years.

That's not really emigrating then IMO. If that was the case, a few hundred thousand of the people living around Benelux are emigrating every day and then immigrating back.

Emigration in my opinion is when you are definitely not returning. What about a businessman working in Dubai for a few years? Emigrant? 6 months work experience in New York = emigrant?

Full of drama TBH. That Generation Emigration piece in the IT is painful to read. Why is it so important that people have that label when at the same time people from loads of countries move around all the time.

An Australian in London for 12 months or 2-3 years? An emigrant?

So why from Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I agree with you 100% but people like me and you are in the tiny minority here on boards.ie.

Technically speaking; Moving from the ROI to the UK just involves crossing the border into NI, or sailing across the Irish sea to the neighbouring island (just 12 miles away), I dont see emigration to Britain as full emigration at all, these islands are sooo intertwined as to be deeply related to the very core. To go and live in France, the USA, Germany, or Switzerland for example would be proper emigration, but the UK? Technically yes, but not really, the same applies to the UK being foreign, Technically yes, but no not really . . .

I speak from experience, having lived and worked in Britain for many years.

PS: its also a frame of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

LordSutch wrote: »
    I agree with you 100% but people like me and you are in the tiny minority here on boards.ie.

Technically speaking; Moving from the ROI to the UK just involves crossing the border into NI, or sailing across the Irish sea to the neighbouring island (just 12 miles away), I dont see emigration to Britain as full emigration at all, these islands are sooo intertwined as to be deeply related to the very core. To go and live in France, the USA, Germany, or Switzerland for example would be proper emigration, but the UK? Technically yes, but not really, the same applies to the UK being foreign, Technically yes, but no not really . . .

Your totally right. Absolutely everything about the UK and Ireland is completely and inextricably intertwined. From our culture, lifestyle and values to even simple things like shops, clothes, food and tv and so on and so forth.

I've just moved to Brisbane for the year and it's a weird experience. They speak English and have the heritage but it stops there :) Everything is similar but totally different. The UK is emigration only by definition alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

interesting question this when you consider the North, would moving up there be considered emigrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

interesting question this when you consider the North, would moving up there be considered emigrating?

The level of cultural difference would vary a lot depending on where you moved to. Living in a village in Fermanagh wouldn't be all that different to me, but living in east Belfast would be like travelling to mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Rather silly question by the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Irish Citizens are also able to vote in UK elections. The only non-commonwealth citizens able to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Living in county Clapham doesn't count as emigrating at all. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd prefer to live in London to Cork. It wouldn't be as much of a culture shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Emigration for you LordSuch would be moving down to where I live.
    If you feel there would be no difference between where you live and say Seven Oaks in Kent then living in Castletownbere* Co Cork would be quite foreign to you.

One reason I find this attitude quite interesting is that it only ever comes from Irish people, I have never ever in my life heard an English person living or holidaying here in Cork (and there are quite a few of them) say, "this is just like living in England", quite the opposite in fact, often those that have just arrived here for the first time comment about how very different it is, not to mention those that have been here for a while and love it (and sometimes hate it) because of the differences.

*Not where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Oi!

This post requires subtitles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I would consider moving from Ireland to mainland UK as emigrating, but I don't consider someone on a one year Working Holiday visa for Australia or Canada as emigrating.

You can stay as long as you want in the UK ......but when the visa runs out in Oz or Canada the holiday is over..... one way or the other.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-26/irish-backpackers-detained/4157306

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

One reason I find this attitude quite interesting is that it only ever comes from Irish people, I have never ever in my life heard an English person living or holidaying here in Cork (and there are quite a few of them) say, "this is just like living in England", quite the opposite in fact, often those that have just arrived here for the first time comment about how very different it is, not to mention those that have been here for a while and love it (and sometimes hate it) because of the differences.

*Not where I live.

But the OP asks is moving to London or the UK really emigrating? of course parts of England are totally foreign to Cork or Dublin, and parts of Scotland are totally alien to the South of England for example (A Londoner moving up North or to Scotland might also comment on the slower pace of life), but that still doesnt alter my own personal point that "the UK" in all it varied regions can be very similar to Ireland, as would be expected with the two islands being so close and so intertwined.

PS: I love Cork too . . .

But the OP asks is moving to London or the UK really emigrating? of course parts of England are totally foreign to Cork or Dublin, and parts of Scotland are totally alien to the South of England for example (A Londoner moving up North or to Scotland might also comment on the slower pace of life), but that still doesnt alter my own personal point that "the UK" in all it varied regions can be very similar to Ireland, as would be expected with the two islands being so intertwined.

PS: I love Cork too . . .
    that little known cork man roy keane compared manchester people very much to cork people,

this may interest a few people,irish world heritage centre is in manchester. http :www.iwhc.com

that little known cork man roy keane compared manchester people very much to cork people,

Given that Roy is from the city a bit of a back handed compliment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

a thousand a week are doing it,one day you will be by yourself talking to rabbits and things

Has he not been talking to himself already for years? I didnt know we were supposed to treat him as someone actually interacting with the rest of us.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement