Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is moving to London or the UK really emigrating?

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Yep it is because the food in the UK is shíte and they all talk funny.

But i can get home for less than €60 return thanks to ryanair so it's not too bad.
    Agree with all that. Although now that I'm flying from London rather than Manchester & Liverpool it's more like €100, plus a day off work. The food is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Personally, I find the UK much more similar to Ireland than Spain is. Sense of humour is a big thing - I get on with people very well here and they 'get' my personality whereas in Spain, I find I have to change myself a lot. The food in the UK is almost the same as in Ireland, as is the weather etc....I always find walking out of the house into 30+ degree heat a massive shock in Spain for the first few days. A nice shock, but it takes some getting used to.
    That's interesting, I found the complete opposite. Now in truth, the only part of the E.U. where I felt genuine culture shock is Germany. However I found the Spanish had a similar sense of humour and I had to change myself far less than the U.K. The climate in the U.K. is, of course, more similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Mention of the Galtymore reminded me of the three years I lived and worked in London in the late 80s and early 90s. The Galtymore and a lot of the County Kilburn scene was some hole even then, with the exception of McGoverns on the High Road. The best Irish pub that I went to was the Archway Tavern - the back bar had Stocktons' Wing type music on Friday nights. I avoided the dancehall scene because I never liked Country and Irish at home and I wasn't going to acquire tone deafness for the sake of meeting someone. London then as now was cosmopolitan and my brother and me were always welcome and made friends with anyone and everyone.

The best way to experience London is to create your own mixture. By all means do the GAA and the Irish pubs but break away from that a bit and be open to new experiences and enjoy them. Don't believe all the stereotypes - you might even like real ale if you don't close your mind down first.

Eight million people in London means that all sorts of possibilities can happen, good and bad. That's living. Good luck to everyone experiencing London for the first time and for many of us, we need to come back and catch up every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Mention of the Galtymore reminded me of the three years I lived and worked in London in the late 80s and early 90s. The Galtymore and a lot of the County Kilburn scene was some hole even then, with the exception of McGoverns on the High Road. The best Irish pub that I went to was the Archway Tavern - the back bar had Stocktons' Wing type music on Friday nights..
    Ahhh ..... cashing the cheque in the Archway every Friday :D If you were in the Archway in the late 80's there is a fair chance I vomited on you, quite a habit of mine then. :o
    Did you ever go to the Coal Pits bar on Kilburn high road dodgy as fuck but great fun.

The more I think about those days the more I remember how it really was emigrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ahhh ..... cashing the cheque in the Archway every Friday :D If you were in the Archway in the late 80's there is a fair chance I vomited on you, quite a habit of mine then. :o
    Did you ever go to the Coal Pits bar on Kilburn high road dodgy as fuck but great fun.

The more I think about those days the more I remember how it really was emigrating.

**** me, the coal pits now that was some boozer, anyone walk into the Crown in cricklewood and stay longer than 10 minutes

• Advertisement

**** me, the coal pits now that was some boozer, anyone walk into the Crown in cricklewood and stay longer than 10 minutes
    Me, I lived not far from there, my locals were The Spotted Dog, The Crown, and The Coal Pits. Yes, I was/am a druggie piss head, but I'm harmless. :)
    It really is rare I come across people who remember "the pits" nice one who the fug that's really made me smile. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Me, I lived not far from there, my locals were The Spotted Dog, The Crown, and The Coal Pits. Yes, I was/am a druggie piss head, but I'm harmless. :)
    It really is rare I come across people who remember "the pits" nice one who the fug that's really made me smile. :cool:

A quick quiet pint in that place resulted in waking up in west London , with flash backs of being thrown out of the National. No clue how we got from Kilburn to South West London or whose flat I woke up in

No cash so jumped the over ground back to wilsden junction and crossed the tracks and over the fence

A pillar of the community I be

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Oh wow. There are people who genuinely believe Spain and Ireland are more similar than Ireland and the UK.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You lived in England?

****in hell.

Oh wow. There are people who genuinely believe Spain and Ireland are more similar than Ireland and the UK.

:D
    Well it felt that way to me. Once I knew enough of the language I felt more at home in the Spanish "take the piss out of everything" style of humour, e.t.c. Of course others may see things differently. There doesn't need to be one answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Chances are we were around the same Friday nights..my old boss who was from Cork did occasional "Public Relations" on the door and I well remember the cheque hatch..think it was a condition of cashing cheques there that the lads had to have a meal, usually chops spuds and veg. I really learned how to drink bottled Guinness there so it was a rite of passage place all right :)

I remember the Coal Pits - put my head in the door once and decided I would have needed company with me to be sure of it!

You lived in England?

****in hell.
    I told you before Freddy, I have great time for the English, many English friends and enjoyed living in and visiting the country.
    Just to give you an idea of where I come from, I think the Nazi regeime of mid 20th century Europe was despicable, but I love the Germans and Germany, enough to have learned their language. Get it?

What I hate are certain attitudes from some people irrespective of where they come from. You never even noticed in all the discussions we had that I never said a bad word about the English people.
    We are very different you and me.

Chances are we were around the same Friday nights..my old boss who was from Cork did occasional "Public Relations" on the door and I well remember the cheque hatch..think it was a condition of cashing cheques there that the lads had to have a meal, usually chops spuds and veg. I really learned how to drink bottled Guinness there so it was a rite of passage place all right :)

I remember the Coal Pits - put my head in the door once and decided I would have needed company with me to be sure of it!
    I'd say I might have pissed off your friend a few times :D
    Friday nights, feed up, drink till drop and black cab back to Willesden Green, happy days.
    I must say The Idyll Race I've spent all evening thinking about those days and having a good old reminisce thanks to you, I hereby raise my glass to you, Sláinte Mhaith a chara. o/

What I hate are certain attitudes from some people irrespective of where they come from. You never even noticed in all the discussions we had that I never said a bad word about the English people.

Other than we are responsible for ll of Ireland's problems.
    We are very different you and me.

well, I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I don't pre judge people, so yes, I guess we are.

• Enkidu wrote: »
    Well it felt that way to me. Once I knew enough of the language I felt more at home in the Spanish "take the piss out of everything" style of humour, e.t.c. Of course others may see things differently. There doesn't need to be one answer.

I speak Spanish fluently and think the humour is extremely different to anything I'd previously experienced. I often find it quite silly, immature and I'm not a fan of the casual racism (and no, I'm not overly PC at all). I like Spanish people and I'm actually moving back to Spain soon, but I definitely have to change myself much more than I do here in the UK.

Other than we are responsible for ll of Ireland's problems.

well, I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I don't pre judge people, so yes, I guess we are.
    Says a man who is so fond of sweeping generalisations about people. :rolleyes:

You know Fred, you actually remind me of George Bush being interviewed by Carol Coleman, when he couldn't understand how someone being against American foreign policy was not being anti-American.

Even your Queen admitted "things could have been done differently", too bad some of her subjects refuse to see what is right in front of their eyes because it hurts too much.

Says a man who is so fond of sweeping generalisations about people. :rolleyes:

You know Fred, you actually remind me of George Bush being interviewed by Carol Coleman, when he couldn't understand how someone being against American foreign policy was not being anti-American.

Even your Queen admitted "things could have been done differently", too bad some of her subjects refuse to see what is right in front of their eyes because it hurts too much.

If I ever meet any of her subjects I'll be sure to raise it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thelastguyleft

Of course it is. Obviously it is not like before and emigration to the UK is a different kettle of fish than in years gone by, but the person is no longer down the road or able to share in the minute and everyday of their loved ones lives. They won't be on hand as they experience ups and downs or whatever else

If I ever meet any of her subjects I'll be sure to raise it with them.
    Though technically citizens aren't subjects any more, I'm sure she'd be quite disappointed to find out you don't consider yourself one.

I speak Spanish fluently and think the humour is extremely different to anything I'd previously experienced. I often find it quite silly, immature and I'm not a fan of the casual racism (and no, I'm not overly PC at all). I like Spanish people and I'm actually moving back to Spain soon, but I definitely have to change myself much more than I do here in the UK.
    Could be the area of Spain. I was in Madrid and Catalonia (mostly Catalonia). I do agree with you about the racism (I also think sexism is unusually strong there for a European country).

All I can say is that I find English humour to be (on the whole) quite dry. How did you find the humour silly and immature? (Genuinely interested:))

I just find it interesting as your experience is the reverse of mine. Of course you have been in Spain longer, so maybe if I had stayed there as long as you have I'd have a different perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So I guess if Scotland leaves the UK (unlikely) then a scottish person going to live in England NI or Wales would be emigrating?

LordSutch wrote: »
    So I guess if Scotland leaves the UK (unlikely) then a scottish person going to live in England NI or Wales would be emigrating?
    Yep.
    Things change, have a little look at political maps of the world from 1900, 1950 and 2000, note the changes.
    How things were in the past does not mean things are set in stone and the question posed here is not invalidated worldwide just because many of those countries were once constructed differently.

As I mentioned before, moving from the Baltic to Mongolia was movement within a Union in 1980 and Riga to Ulaanbaatar certainly is emigration today, serious fucking emigration :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thanks for that Cú Giobach, and I agree with you, so it looks like we are now getting to the nub of the question. Technically you do emigrate across borders, (but in the case of these islands), might moving from one jurisdiction to another be a watered down version of emigration? (questionmark)

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thanks for that Cú Giobach, and I agree with you, so it looks like we are now getting to the nub of the question. Technically you do emigrate across borders, (but in the case of these islands), might moving from one jurisdiction to another be a watered down version of emigration? (questionmark)
    It's not a simple yes or no answer, for example would moving from Occupied France to Vichy in '43 be emigration?

In my above example your average Mongolian could consider moving to Riga emigration in 1980, but a staunch Soviet would have said it certainly wasn't.

Regarding NI, a staunch loyalist would consider moving to Dunquin in Kerry as emigration, but not many people from Lifford moving to Strabane would see it as such.

Things like this can get tricky trying to give definitive answers, for example people would flee from N to S Korea, but would move from S to N Korea, unless you ask Kim JU who would say the opposite. :pac:

You must remember NI is different because of the "situation", mixed communities, there is no such issue in Scotland or Wales, British Welsh people still consider themselves Welsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as a child growing up in south manchester i was often told[ tongue in cheek ]that manchester was more irish than ireland,the irish world heritage center has been open for 25 years in manchester,now a new one about to open it is on a 25 acre complex,telling the story of irish people worldwide,you can walk down a name walk featuring every irish surname, the centre in cheetham hill is unique in celebrating the history and contribution of irish communities around the world,i think those people in ireland who believe england has not got a rich irish culture,are living in a bubble. pop...pop...pop

getz wrote: »
    as a child growing up in south manchester i was often told[ tongue in cheek ]that manchester was more irish than ireland,the irish world heritage center has been open for 25 years in manchester,now a new one about to open it is on a 25 acre complex,telling the story of irish people worldwide,you can walk down a name walk featuring every irish surname, the centre in cheetham hill is unique in celebrating the history and contribution of irish communities around the world,i think those people in ireland who believe england has not got a rich irish culture,are living in a bubble. pop...pop...pop
    Anyone who believes Irish people are unaware of the influence Irish immigration has had on Britain, doesn't know very much about the Irish people.

Anyone who believes Irish people are unaware of the influence Irish immigration has had on Britain, doesn't know very much about the Irish people.
    everything and anything that was built in manchester since the turn of the 19th century,has had a irish involvement,one in every three native citizens of manchester have irish blood, irish clubs pubs bars are in every part of the city, and unlike london the irish community is fully intergrated,

getz wrote: »
    everything and anything that was built in manchester since the turn of the 19th century,has had a irish involvement,one in every three native citizens of manchester have irish blood, irish clubs pubs bars are in every part of the city, and unlike london the irish community is fully intergrated,
    The sky is blue and grass is green.

Have you any more of "the bleedin' obvious" to add to this thread??

The sky is blue and grass is green.

Have you any more of "the bleedin' obvious" to add to this thread??
    may be obvious to you and me,but there are a couple of bubble people posting differently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement