Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Employment Rights / Law

Options
  • 24-07-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi to those readers that may be able to offer me some advice.

I was was made redundant in 2009. I was in sales and part of my income was as commission. When I was laid off I had commission outstanding, however despite several requests by me to my former employer he is insisting that his company never got paid by those clients I had sold to.
    I happen to know that the company was paid on some of the orders I had closed on but how can I prove it and if I could I cannot aford to hire a solicitor to fight him?

Any advice graciously accepted,
    Thanks,
    Frustrated Fran.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Can't be given specific legal advice, mainly because of people like me, but on a practical level how do you know they were paid? What ever method that was surely there is the proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

Firstly I'd like to thank you for your speedy reply.
    And thanks for asking the relevant question. The reasons I am confident they have been paid are as follows: 1. I have remained friends with a person in the office and they let it slip during a recent conversation. 2. Most of my clients were high profile, reputable brands and they had always maintained a prompt payment schedule. and 3. My boss was always Bull-Dog like in his pursuit of outstanding debtors! But as to hard evidence such as paper proof - I don't have any!

I'm not an accountant but perhaps if you're friends with any - I know why would anyone befriend an accountant :P - perhaps they might be able to steer one in the direction of finding out such information if it's some sort of record that must be reported.

Uugh Accountants - they're almost as infamous as Lawyers !!! But seriously, it's not a bad idea to follow that angle re company recors etc, but perhaps thats a long way down the line if the company persist in saying that they haven't been paid, then those records could be subpoenaed.
    Meanwhile, how much do you reckon a solicitor would charge for a series of correspondence that may ensue once I open legal concourse twixed myself and my former employers?
    Thanx.

Now we venture in to territory I know nothing about (which doesn't normally stop me) and potentially gets me told off.

Solicitors are like plumbers - phone a few and get quotes, go with the second cheapest. You'll get an idea if this has legs simply by running it buy a few people over the phone.

• Advertisement

OK Dude. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom with me and for adding a squeeze of good humour into the mix. Good luck with your studies!
    Enlightened.

Advertisement