Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drunk guys throws Wheelie bin at car, gets knocked down [VIDEO]

• 24-07-2012 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

CCTV footage catches moment hit-and-run lunatic hurls drunk through air in Ayrshire town
    A DRUNK hurls a wheelie bin into the path of a car – then is thrown 20ft after the driver swerves and slams into him.

A shocking CCTV video shows the sickening impact as Jeffrey Rodger’s car strikes Liam McLaughlin.

McLaughlin is sent flying and lands in a heap, but he miraculously escapes with cuts and bruises.

Rodger, who sped away after the impact, was charged with attempted murder.

But he walked free after admitting a reduced charge of dangerous driving, with a sentence of 300 hours of community service.

The terrifying confrontation between Rodger and his boozed-up pals happened in the early hours of the morning in a street in Largs, Ayrshire.

Rodger was “driving about” after going to a music festival with partner Amy Valentine.

She was in the front seat next to him and three other people were in the back.

A source said: “There were some verbals between Rodger and the men as the car was passing the ferry terminal.

“It was something and nothing – just an exchange of words.”

After Rodger sped past the men in his Honda Civic, one of them threw a bin into the road.

Rodger drove on, but then turned and headed back towards the men.

McLaughlin moved out into the road, dragging a wheelie bin behind him, and hurled it into the path of Rodger’s car.

Rodger swerved to his right and hit McLaughlin, sending him crashing to the pavement.

The source said: “The folk with McLaughlin dialled 999 and he was taken to hospital.

“But to everyone’s astonishment, he was found only to have grazes and bruising. He must be made of strong stuff – it’s a miracle escape, without a doubt.”

Rodger’s car was found later, in a car park on a back road between Fairlie and Dalry in Ayrshire. It had been torched.

Valentine, 28, called police the day after the hit and run to report the car stolen.

But she was charged with trying to pervert justice by making a false report, and was sentenced to 225 hours of community service after pleading guilty.

Rodger admitted driving dangerously, and driving at and colliding with McLaughlin to his injury.

A line alleging that the offence was committed “to the danger of Mr McLaughlin’s life” was deleted from the charge.

Kilmarnock sheriff Elizabeth McFarlane sentenced Rodger last Monday to community service.

She also banned him from driving for two years and ordered him to resit an extended driving test.

Court papers gave Rodger and Valentine’s address as Waltham Abbey, Essex, but it’s understood they were living in Fairlie at the time of the incident.
    Link

Who was in the right, who was in the wrong... Did they deserve it etc?

Comments

Throw a bin at a car in motion, and then have the neck to complain about it?

What do some people expect? A few broken bones and having to pay for any damage to the car would have do no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

It was interesting to note that even though the article suggests he swerved intentionally at the wheelie bin thrower, the footage showed he hit the brakes before impact. I suspect he thought the guy would jump clear and not get bounced off it.

Of course that was a stupid assumption to make, but I do wonder why the guys attacking passing cars are painted as victims, they (driver and bin thrower) were both aggressors and most likely both $hitfaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

He threw a wheelie bin into oncoming traffic creating a dangerous hazard, got what he derserved IMO, what's the problem here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Throw a bin at a car in motion, and then have the neck to complain about it?

What do some people expect? A few broken bones and having to pay for any damage to the car would have do no harm.
    Did you read the quote though?

The guy had words with the drunk guy then drove past him, twice. Then fled the scene, torched the car, and said it was stolen

I also love how they noted it was a honda civic... Like that has anything to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

No one deserves to get hit by a car and get thrown into the air and it can't be condoned.this doesn't make what he did i.e throwing wheelie bins into their path right either. We seem to live in a society where a wrong to right another wrong is acceptable? :confused:

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    Did you read the quote though?

The guy had words with the drunk guy then drove past him, twice. Then fled the scene, torched the car, and said it was stolen

I also love how they noted it was a honda civic... Like that has anything to do with it

I don't see them driving past twice in there. Maybe I read it wrong, but it seems that they had an argument, he drove past (which is when the bin was thrown) and then he left the scene, but returned (eventually).

Burning out the car or making false claims is all good and well, but the core of the issue here, in my view, is that he threw a wheelie bin at a moving car, got hit by said car, and now the person who was driving the car is being punished.

The car could have swerved in any direction and potentially killed any of it's occupants or could have collided with any other person on the street* and killed them. Maybe I'm alone, but I'd class throwing an object at a moving vehicle as attempted murder.

If he didn't throw the bin, there'd be no need for the car to swerve.

Also, if he didn't throw the bin, but the driver still hit him anyway, then that'd also be attempted murder for me (regardless of the severity of the injuries).

(*I'm aware that, this happened at a time when there's not likely to be many pedestrians or other traffic around, but the point still stands, I feel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

No harm, deserves getting hit with the car.

He will think twice about throwing bins at cars in the future.
    People must remember; if this man was at home or having a normal night this would not have happened. He still deserved it even if the driver went back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Theanswers wrote: »
    He will think twice about throwing bins at cars in the future.
    Eh not at all?!

He learned that as the victim he can instigate confrontations of nearly any measure and as long as he looks worse off, he "wins".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Motors>>AH

Nowt to do with motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Motors>>AH

Nowt to do with motors.
    What? It has everything to do with cars! The guy ran someone over, drove off, and set fire to his car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

What a fool, your man throwing the bin deserved what he got. Good reflexes from the driver.

I don't understand why the driver would get ALL the blame although i understand he did go back to confront him in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

After Rodger sped past the men in his Honda Civic, one of them threw a bin into the road.

Rodger drove on, but then turned and headed back towards the men.
    He was a fool to turn back. If he had an iota of common sense, he would've rang the Gardai, and reported the bin been thrown on the road when he was driving by.

I'd wonder how many drinks the driver had on him at the time of the accident?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Who was in the right, who was in the wrong... Did they deserve it etc?

It looks like he swerved to avoid the wheelie bin appearing in front of him, then slams on the brakes, then see's the drunk guy, and end's up hitting him.

He panicked and fled and the rest of what he and his girlfriend did was stupid.

If he had stopped I think the drunk guy would have been done and he would have been clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

He threw a wheelie bin into oncoming traffic creating a dangerous hazard, got what he derserved IMO, what's the problem here?

The driver turned around to get a second go. That was dumb. Then he burned the car and reported it stolen. He should have got some sort of sentence other than community service, but meh. Both are idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Nice hit, I have seen cases where the driver would reverse to make sure the job was completed, the guy was a complete tool, plus a serious danger, what if he did it to a car with kids in it and the driver panicked and drove into car coming the other way,

he should be locked up for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Then he burned the car and reported it stolen.
    Hope he gets blacklisted by the insurance companies for a decade or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Boards in general, and AH in particular, has a horrendously right wing love of vigilante justice. Shouldn't surprise anyone. This is the same forum which defends police brutality on the grounds that "scumbag probably deserved it"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Don't think anybody was in the right there in fairness.
    Sounds like scumbags messin with scumbags that went further than planned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If this was a firearms related story, no matter whether it was a machine gun, shotgun, or hunting rifle, the firearm would be a "Glock".

So it's a car story it has to be a civic.

That's the meeja and their ****e reporting for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. What an idiot. Throwing a plastic wheelie bin at a moving vehicle. Pity it didn't drive him a bit further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Both men in the wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Can we move this back to the motors forum please? Not because it belongs there but just to piss them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

One weighs about 10kg, is made of plastic and is striking a car.

The other is a car, that I would imagine weighs over a tonne, made of metal, striking a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Do they make CCTV camera's out of potatoes or what?

Seriously, its the same on Crimewatch, they get the footage of the crime but still have to use an artist impression because the video looks like something from an Atari 2600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

ouch ! that looked like it hurt :eek:

sympathy ?

I think you'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis ;)

Moral of the story ?

Don't throw stuff at passing cars, it's dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

tossy wrote: »
    No one deserves to get hit by a car and get thrown into the air and it can't be condoned.this doesn't make what he did i.e throwing wheelie bins into their path right either. We seem to live in a society where a wrong to right another wrong is acceptable? :confused:

As Kenny Rogers one said

"sometimes ya gotta fight to be a man"

A lesson has to be learned sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

tbh it looked like the car swerved to avoid the bin and it was just a brucey bonus that he clattered that fool too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sounds like two skangers having a disagreement, one is as bad as the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

You really have to have a fairly warped view of things if you think smacking someone with your car is a reasonable and proportional response here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No.

Don't fancy another ban then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

mistook a Civic for a Dustcart, easy mistake to make...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

By right,the driver should of killed him,or at least crushed him to another car thus paralyzing him for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

It's a pity the scumbag hurling bins at traffic wasn't injured. Still, it makes for funny viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Fcuk your honda civic I've a bin outside:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

The driver should be allowed to use the fcuker's skull as a hood ornament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

That will teach him.

Good on the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

You really have to have a fairly warped view of things if you think smacking someone with your car is a reasonable and proportional response here.

I think he's a sack of **** for doing something like that and to be perfectly honest if he was left in a wheelchair after that I'd still laugh and think piece of ****.

Maybe I do have a warped view... or maybe I've just encountered to many scumbags in my time.

The guy driving was an idiot for going back and an even bigger idiot for burning the car and reporting the car stolen. He should have stopped there and called the police and then said the guy threw a wheelie bin at him and he panicked and swerved in his direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement