Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Help

Options
  • 24-07-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi i have a 1 year old Dell Inspiron 620 desktop

i3 2100
    4g ram
    amd radeon 6450
    i think the power supply is only 300w (atleast thats the only marking i can make out)

im looking to upgrade those 4 in my system to be able to run gw2 better.
    (afaik it will run it ok on low to medium settings as it is)

other then that im not sure what i can upgrade too if at all ,any help would be great.

Edit forgot to mention in on a budget of 450 euro :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Meh, not really going to be able to do much, the i3 is a good chip, so I'd just upgrade the graphics card.

Item|Price
    XFX 450 Watt Core Edition Single Rail PSU w/ Full Wired Cables|€46.58
    XFX ATI Radeon 7770 HD 1GHz 1GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Core|€116.30
    Shipping|Free!
    Total|€162.88

You didn't specify a budget...

EDIT: What resolution are you playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StormyAndBored

Sorry 450 euro of a budget, at the moment i still have a crap monitor so usually 1200x900.

Sorry 450 euro of a budget, at the moment i still have a crap monitor so usually 1200x900.

Then go with the parts I mentioned, no point spending any more. If you wanted, you could take a few components out of your Dell build and get a new rig.

If you were to spend €450 on your computer, you could get:

Item|Price
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€90.77
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    MSI R6850-PMD1GD5, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€122.99
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€67.76
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.57
    BenQ G2255|€100.98
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€474.05

Then take your RAM, HDD and DVD drive out of the Dell.

That's a great GPU, new PSU an SSD (which boots up your computer in seconds), a brilliant motherboard and a new 1920x1080 monitor! Just a thought :D.

Just a few question's

Would MSI R6850-PMD1GD5, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express work in my current system (with new power supply)

and its it possible to upgrade my i3 to an i5 (fairly easy)

taking everything you said in im just not up to taking the dell all apart its only a year old after all :)

thx for your time btw

deffo getting the monitor you linked and the ssd if not a bigger 1

Just a few question's

Would MSI R6850-PMD1GD5, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express work in my current system (with new power supply)

and its it possible to upgrade my i3 to an i5 (fairly easy)

taking everything you said in im just not up to taking the dell all apart its only a year old after all :)

thx for your time btw

deffo getting the monitor you linked and the ssd if not a bigger 1

Yeah you could, but I wouldn't see an i5 making a massive difference. So this is your revised build?

Item|Price
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€102.55
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    MSI R6850-PMD1GD5, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€122.99
    BenQ G2255|€100.98
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€386.50

• Advertisement

Pretty much just needed to know what would work in the case i have etc been trying to shop around for a prebuilt but price just keeps climbing. :P

So upgrading was the only way sadly from what i have read dell dont leave much room to upgrade which is why i think you said there wouldnt be much i could do

Edit would that card be the best i could possibly put in it ?

also thx again

Pretty much just needed to know what would work in the case i have etc been trying to shop around for a prebuilt but price just keeps climbing. :P

So upgrading was the only way sadly from what i have read dell dont leave much room to upgrade which is why i think you said there wouldnt be much i could do

Edit would that card be the best i could possibly put in it ?

also thx again

I couldn't imagine the case being very good, but in theory I'd say you could put in a GTX 670. They're about €360-€400. No point though, your case is pretty poor. It'd be starved of air.

By the way, pre-builts are pretty poor quality and price wise. If you want bang-for-buck you need to consider self-building. Many of us here would happily build it for you if you wanted.

after looking over everything you suggested i found this on the site you used for some stuff would this card work / fit into my dell 620 case in the same slot as my 6450 <-> http://www2.hardwareversand.de/2048+MB/37514/XFX+RADEON+HD+6950+830M+2GB+DDR5+DUAL+DP+HDMI+DUAL+DVI.article

Also i know you said an upgrade from my i3 2100 to an i5 would not be much of a gain, would it be worth it if i was to muti task while gaming ie stream gw2 while i play if so which i5 would work right away in my dell 620 current is 2100 3.1 ghz.

thx again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

620MT_in.JPG

Looks like it might alright, but that'll make more noise so you know, and chances are that case will do a cr@ppy job of cooling the thing. That case has one fan pulling where gaming cases have 2 pushing 2 pulling or more.

If you measure the distance between the back of the case and the HDD caddy along the line of the current graphics card you'll find out what the max length is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Why don't you try and sell the Dell and put that plus the 450 toward a new PC. That's what I'd do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement