Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting an fcu to an existing socket

Options
  • 24-07-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi lads,

Tryin to do this. I've no knowledge of it really. Can i just take an e, n and l wire from the existing socket and feed it in to the appropriate terminals in the fcu? If so it sounds fairly handy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi lads,

Tryin to do this. I've no knowledge of it really. Can i just take an e, n and l wire from the existing socket and feed it in to the appropriate terminals in the fcu? If so it sounds fairly handy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an FCU? I tried Google, but it was not much.

To answer this we would also need to know:
    Also what size is the load?
    How many points are already on the socket circuit?
    What size cable is the socket circuit?
    What size and type of protective devices is the socket circuit fed from?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

2011 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

To answer this we would also need to know:

FCU= fused connection unit. A spur switched fuse connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A fuse controlled unit (fused spur) Id say.

Unless he is installing a fan coil unit:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

LostInLM wrote: »
    FCU= fused connection unit. A spur switched fuse connection?
    Perhaps.

Or a Fan Coil Unit as Google suggested.

Either way confirmation is required and the other questions still stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

2011 wrote: »

A FCU is a Fused Connection Unit. Otherwise known as a fused spur unit.

Hi lads,

In theory the live, neutral and earth can come from the back of another socket to the FCU but as 2011 mentioned the current draw of the load, cable size (more than likely 2.5 square on your socket circuit but yo never know what some people might have put in). Also you should take a look at the back of the socket you were intending on taking the spur off as the might not be any room left in that socket if others have already tapped off it. Turn off all electricity to the socket circuit and confirm loss of voltage with a multimeter before removing the socket face. If in any doubt call an electrician to take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi lads,

Tryin to do this. I've no knowledge of it really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

my advice would be to let the professionals at it

electricity kills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think the OP should leave it alone. Connecting into existing sockets seems so simple, but is often done very badly by diy persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Burrito Maniac

Yea it's a fused connection unit. I'm tryin to put a radio up on the wall so I have to run it through the fcu first?? Then I loop that onto the original socket, which is a single socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Yea it's a fused connection unit. I'm tryin to put a radio up on the wall so I have to run it through the fcu first?? Then I loop that onto the original socket, which is a single socket.

Why not just plug the radio into the socket?

Because i put the wire from the radio behind the wall..

• Advertisement

You will still need to answer / consider the following to be able to do this properly:

What load?

Just one single socket

2.5mm2 maybe. Standard house wiring.

No idea what this means

Thanks for your time 2011, it's much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you mean you want to fit a 13amp fcu at low level adjacent to an existing socket and connect the radio into a outlet plate or joint at high level(as a fixed appliance)

i wouldn't fit an outlet plate for a radio unless absolutely neccessary -i would fit a 13amp socket(needs spur if wired in 2.5 off ring cct)

afaik a dedicated 13amp socket is ok outside of normal height restrictions

if you need to isolate the power to socket you can fit a dp switch on a 16/20amp radial or a 13amp FCU off a ring cct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

domestic appliances should be connected to 13amp sockets where possible imo

for maintenance,cleaning,testing of fixed wiring and any warranty issues etc. imo

any isolation of sockets is mostly with DP switch now as there's less ring ccts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

sure why not.
    we only spend 4 years training to become sparks.

does anyone know anything about open heart surgery,,can't be too hard can it?

You obviously didn't train that hard because you haven't given me a solution yet!!

You obviously didn't train that hard because you haven't given me a solution yet!!

I think that meercat gave the best advice when he said:
    my advice would be to let the professionals at it

No offense intended, but I think this is beyond you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

Obviously.

Advertisement