Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate training... advantages and disadvantages

• 24-07-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey,

Ive been reading on the net about crate training. Were thinking of starting it with our 10 month old puppy.

So just want to know what are other peoples experiences of them and tips please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

In my experiance this was one of those things that just worked, with no problems.

Once the puppy is old enough not to be in discomfort holding it in for the night, then the crate is just brill.

Only used it for about 10 weeks, and then there was no more need, dog 100% housetrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

Great thanks. what did you use it for in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Lambo28 wrote: »
    Great thanks. what did you use it for in particular?

Just to train him not to poo/wee in the house so he could sleep indoors.

Leaving him on his pillow in the kitchen he would tend to toilet in the corner of the kitchen furthest from him. He couldn't do this when he was in the crate and so waited till the morning.

It probably had some ancillary benefits as well though, such as teaching him commands like wait / in / out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Would definitely recommend it!

We had a springer who did not want to be toilet trained. You could let her out, see her do her business and she'd come straight in and wee straight away!

Crate trained her and never had an issue with any accidents again!

Our other dogs would also run into the crate at night to have a cosy bed and to feel nice and secure in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

OP, can I ask why you're only thinking about doing it now. When your pup is ten months I mean, seems very late.

It works wonders for house training as the other posters said. I was lucky in that regard as my terrier basically housetrained my GSD but the GSD did need to be crate trained for chewing issues at night. It worked wonders for that too as she only really needed to be put in the crate at night for a few months while she got over that chewing everything stage. Have no need for the crate anymore but we leave the door open and the dogs sleep in there occassionally. Definitely recommend doing it if your dog has either of those issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

**Vai** wrote: »
    OP, can I ask why you're only thinking about doing it now. When your pup is ten months I mean, seems very late.

It works wonders for house training as the other posters said. I was lucky in that regard as my terrier basically housetrained my GSD but the GSD did need to be crate trained for chewing issues at night. It worked wonders for that too as she only really needed to be put in the crate at night for a few months while she got over that chewing everything stage. Have no need for the crate anymore but we leave the door open and the dogs sleep in there occassionally. Definitely recommend doing it if your dog has either of those issues.

We rescused her a bout 3 months ago when he 8/9months old and she was great for the first while but the last month she has been acting up. She was been chewing everything and weeing a lot in the house even though sometimes just straight after she has been out for a walk.

Advertisement