Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

02 Are holding my new phone hostage! HELP!!

• 24-07-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

This sh** is so unfair! I bought a phone off a guy at work who bought it off someone else (dead end, basically). As of writing it is only unlockable by the 02, no jailbreak/software method works (04.12.02) so I have no option but to go through 02.

Called them today and it seems that whoever originally owned the phone did "something" that they cant discuss with me (data protection act) and they are unwilling to unlock my phone. The lady confirmed that it wasnt stolen. Even if I were to switch to 02 & put €150 as they request I still wouldnt be able to unlock it because somebody, somewhere did something to an account that isnt mine and as a result I have a €200 brick. Im with "3" because they have an all you can eat data plan for €20p/m & 02 cant match that.

Any ideas please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Phone is probably stolen. Can't see another reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whyteoktober

02 confirmed that the phone wasnt stole.

They could be just saying that to you. Go and ask in the O2 forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1479

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm guessing it's not really yours, according to O2.

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's not really yours, according to O2.
    Insurance scam, or someone signed up and never paid a bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

On Three anyway only the original owner can unlock the phone. Probably the same story here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It could be stolen laser or credit cards were used to buy credit for it.

If it was unregistered they would block it.

It is mine. I paid for it. I have it here in my hand. Can we just assume that Im not lying because its not beyond the realms of possibility that I bought a phone and its locked & someone didnt pay the bil.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

O2 will only unlock the phone for the original owner of the phone no matter what you say they wont unlock it for you. Can you get in contact with the original owner and ask them to contact o2 for you? If the phone was stolen o2 would have to report you to the guards for having stolen property. The only thing's the other person could have done is not finish their contract or have reported it lost and claim off insurance (which again o2 would have to report you having a stolen phone).

It is mine. I paid for it.

See this: "I bought a phone off a guy at work who bought it off someone else"

That doesn't really mean it's yours! There's obviously a back story here.

• Advertisement

Well they didnt report me! They confirmed that it wasnt stolen or used in a bank robbery.

I spoke to 02 they would have reported me if the phone was stolen, wouldnt they?

well you bought a locked phone off who ever sold it to you o2 have nothing to do with it they have no obligation to unlock it for you. You should have checked what you bought before handing over the cash.

Are you trolling?

Go and ask in the O2 forum!

Thank you for pointing that out. I am aware I am an idiot, ok? Pointing that out doesnt contribute to this thread.

smash wrote: »
    Are you trolling?

You need an 02 number to post in the 02 forum, we have established that I am not an 02 customer. Look people, im not an international jewel thief, or a baby puncher or a puppy kicker, I just want my phone unlocked. Im asking for some help. If you think I stole it then report me.

My point was you're saying O2 are holding your phone hostage which isnt the case. Im not defending o2 iv had my problems with them in the past but i dont see the point in blaming them. Theres a fone shop in waterford that say they will unlock any iphone (im not sure if its just a jailbreak though) im sure theres ones in most citys try them, Your no going to get a satisfactory answer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

just out of curiosity, what do you think the background for your handset is? Do you think its 100% legit?

Also, what are you expecting people here to do? o2 have been very clear to you with what they are willing to do and as you said there's no software solution to this.

Are you trolling?

T17cH wrote: »
    My point was you're saying O2 are holding your phone hostage which isnt the case. Im not defending o2 iv had my problems with them in the past but i dont see the point in blaming them. Theres a fone shop in waterford that say they will unlock any iphone (im not sure if its just a jailbreak though) im sure theres ones in most citys try them, Your no going to get a satisfactory answer here.

Thats been done, the baseband 04.12.01 cannot be unlocked by anyone but apple through 02.

MiCr0 wrote: »
    just out of curiosity, what do you think the background for your handset is? Do you think its 100% legit?

Also, what are you expecting people here to do? o2 have been very clear to you with what they are willing to do and as you said there's no software solution to this.

It probably belonged to someone who hasnt paid the bill. Im expecting ideas, options, advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Put the phone up for sale as locked to o2, take the money and buy a sim-free phone or one that's locked to 3. You might have to shell out an extra €20-40 depending on how much you get for it or depending on condition, demand whatever you might even make a couple of euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Seems people are confusing simlock and IMEI barred?

Not much you can do if you can't find the original owner except switch to O2.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Put the phone up for sale as locked to o2, take the money and buy a sim-free phone or one that's locked to 3. You might have to shell out an extra €20-40 depending on how much you get for it or depending on condition, demand whatever you might even make a couple of euro.

I might have to do that, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Probably "lost" and claimed on the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You need an 02 number to post in the 02 forum, we have established that I am not an 02 customer.
    Goto the one on boards.ie; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1479 and ask there. Someone may have had a similar problem, and know of a fix.

Have you tried downgrading the baseband it to unlock it?

the_syco wrote: »
    Goto the one on boards.ie; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1479 and ask there. Someone may have had a similar problem, and know of a fix.

Have you tried downgrading the baseband it to unlock it?

Thanks, & yeah I have tried downgrading. There are currently no software or hardware hacks to bypass or unlock 04.12.01 Baseband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

I am over at the O2 forums waiting for your message. PM me the details when you get a chance and I will tell you what I can.

O2_Daryll wrote: »
    I am over at the O2 forums waiting for your message. PM me the details when you get a chance and I will tell you what I can.

PM sent.

Phone is probably stolen. Can't see another reason.

If the phone was stolen, it would be blacklisted by Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If the phone was stolen, it would be blacklisted by Apple.
    No, it wouldn't. Apple don't do anything about stolen phones, thats entirely the network's responsibility.

Advertisement