Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

02 Are holding my new phone hostage! HELP!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whyteoktober

No, it wouldn't. Apple don't do anything about stolen phones, thats entirely the network's responsibility.

Youre probably right, Im just quoting what 02 have told me, Ive been speaking with them in person & online since about 3pm this afternoon.
    What I mean to say is according to the 02 representative, Apple are actively refusing to comply with an unlock request for a reason other than a stolen phone or one involved in some sort of illegal activity. She went on to say that it was a combination of 02 & Apple but she couldn't tell me anything further.
    The chap in the 02 store told me something similar, that its not "flagged" or "blocked"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Youre probably right, Im just quoting what 02 have told me, Ive been speaking with them in person & online since about 3pm this afternoon.
    What I mean to say is according to the 02 representative, Apple are actively refusing to comply with an unlock request for a reason other than a stolen phone or one involved in some sort of illegal activity. She went on to say that it was a combination of 02 & Apple but she couldn't tell me anything further.
    The chap in the 02 store told me something similar, that its not "flagged" or "blocked"

The carrier requests an unlock from Apple, nobody else.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The carrier requests an unlock from Apple, nobody else.

I know. Thats why Im talking to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

When I spoke to Applecare recently about my own iPhone and that it required replacing as it could not be fixed, they used to send out a replacement automatically with a UPS tracking bag and you had 5 days to return the damaged phone problem was that people where not returning the broken phone and now if you want an automatic replacement they will take your credit card number and take the value of the handset and as soon as the broken phone is returned and logged in to their system they refund the money, maybe this is one of the phones that was supposed to be returned or the replacement one that was sent and that's why apple are refusing to unlock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

IMO You've 4 options if you don't want to change network

1.sell it as locked to o2 and buy an unlocked one or one locked to 3.
    2.use a gevey ultra sim or similar (Not the most reliable method)
    3.pay a third party company like cutyoursim.com to request the unlock from apple (Cost:$69.99)
    4.give it back to the seller for a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Agent_99 wrote: »
    When I spoke to Applecare recently about my own iPhone and that it required replacing as it could not be fixed, they used to send out a replacement automatically with a UPS tracking bag and you had 5 days to return the damaged phone problem was that people where not returning the broken phone and now if you want an automatic replacement they will take your credit card number and take the value of the handset and as soon as the broken phone is returned and logged in to their system they refund the money, maybe this is one of the phones that was supposed to be returned or the replacement one that was sent and that's why apple are refusing to unlock it.
    it's being that way a while. In 2010 I was gonna send back a 3GS. I had 2 options, wait on a box and ups bag and send it bag and wait for the replacement or else give a cc number that they could put a hold of €500 on and give a replacment staright away. The hold was removed when they got your phone back

IMO You've 4 options if you don't want to change network

1.sell it as locked to o2 and buy an unlocked one or one locked to 3.
    2.use a gevey ultra sim or similar (Not the most reliable method)
    3.pay a third party company like cutyoursim.com to request the unlock from apple (Cost:$69.99)
    4.give it back to the seller for a refund

Ive looked into option 1 and am keeping my eye on the second hand market but I would prefer to keep the phone I bought. Besides It would cost me another €95 to trade in, I dont have that.
    Gevey sim no longer works, it was using a workaround called SAM unlock that has been closed by Apple.
    Im not sure how these third party companies work but Id rather not hand over my phone to some dodgy shop, I was told not to share my IEMI number (not that its much use to me).
    Giving it back to the seller isnt an option, Im pretty sure he was glad to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Ive looked into option 1 and am keeping my eye on the second hand market but I would prefer to keep the phone I bought. Besides It would cost me another €95 to trade in, I dont have that.
    I don't get €95?
    I often see iphone 4's locked to 3 for €200-€280, you'll easily get the same for yours once it works fine on o2, will cost you nothing.
    Im not sure how these third party companies work but Id rather not hand over my phone to some dodgy shop, I was told not to share my IEMI number (not that its much use to me).
    Cutyoursim.com is a well known reputable company and is not dodgy in anyway, its 100% safe and has been around a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

guil wrote: »
    it's being that way a while. In 2010 I was gonna send back a 3GS. I had 2 options, wait on a box and ups bag and send it bag and wait for the replacement or else give a cc number that they could put a hold of €500 on and give a replacment staright away. The hold was removed when they got your phone back
    40 posts and still going, jeez:rolleyes:

Sell the thing (on adverts) as Cathal suggested. Buy unlocked or 3 locked replacement. Job done.

dodzy wrote: »
    40 posts and still going, jeez:rolleyes:

Sell the thing (on adverts) as Cathal suggested. Buy unlocked or 3 locked replacement. Job done.
    Why did you quote my post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Giving it back to the seller isnt an option, Im pretty sure he was glad to get rid of it.

And here ladies and gentlemen, is the most important piece of info in the whole thread.

why do you reckon he's glad to get rid of it, if thats the impression you got from him, did you ask?

And here ladies and gentlemen, is the most important piece of info in the whole thread.

why do you reckon he's glad to get rid of it, if thats the impression you got from him, did you ask?

Yes, I specifically asked if the phone was stolen or if it had been used for anything illegal. He said no. If it was stolen, I would happily return it to its owner. but both the seller & 02 have confirmed that it is not stolen.

Here is the kicker; The 02 moderator Daryll told me yesterday that the phone was used for "Fraud". He has yet to reply to a message I sent yesterday. Of course, he cannot tell me anything more.
    Before you go off on the "You should have.., nobody to blame but yourself etc" post, consider this;

I am an innocent party who bought a phone, not a contract or a call history. I am not the person that did "something illegal" with a phone, I can prove that. Granted, I got ****ed over & Im paying for someone elses crime. Are 02 obliged to take legal action? If I sell the phone, am I liable? Should I contact the Gardai? Should I give 02 the address of the workplace where the guy I bought this from works? Should I seek legal advice?

Why did you quote my post?

Because im an idiot?

the phone was used for "Fraud"

which could mean the original owner signed up on the contract, renaged on it, and sold on the phone for a profit. o2 are out of pocket for the revenue and have locked down the phone.

i'm gonna guess here, but until the guy makes good on his contract that phone is gonna stay locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

And, depending on the type of Fraud, the phone still probably belongs to O2.

which could mean the original owner signed up on the contract, renaged on it, and sold on the phone for a profit. o2 are out of pocket for the revenue and have locked down the phone.

i'm gonna guess here, but until the guy makes good on his contract that phone is gonna stay locked.

I guessed that, so why would 02 tell me that Apple are refusing to unlock the phone? Is not paying your bill "Fraud"? I understand that 02 are out of pocket but thats not my fault now is it? I didnt screw them over, I would happily switch over to 02 if they could give me a good deal. I asked if there was a way i could pay off this guys bill to unlock the phone & they refused. I have always been polite & courteous with all 02 reps.
    It boils down to this; I come to them with a problem that only they can solve, they refuse because someone i dont know owes them money. So now I am out of pocket and they are out of pocket. Is this good business practise?

RangeR wrote: »
    And, depending on the type of Fraud, the phone still probably belongs to O2.

They havent asked for it back. If it did, I would give it to them.

It boils down to this; I come to them with a problem that only they can solve, they refuse because someone i dont know owes them money. So now I am out of pocket and they are out of pocket. Is this good business practise?

technically in their eyes, it is not your phone.

the contract is between him and o2, and this case (i'm guessing) the ownership of the phone reverts back to o2 for non payment of bills. but i dont know the t&c's so dont quote me as gospel.

technically in their eyes, it is not your phone.

the contract is between him and o2, and this case (i'm guessing) the ownership of the phone reverts back to o2 for non payment of bills. but i dont know the t&c's so dont quote me as gospel.

Note to self: Dont quote 120_Minutes as gospel

Done. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks, & yeah I have tried downgrading. There are currently no software or hardware hacks to bypass or unlock 04.12.01 Baseband.
    What baseband did you try downgrading to?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    What baseband did you try downgrading to?
    it's impossible to downgrade the bb on an iphone 4 so i doubt they tried anything

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cheapphones

There is websites out there that can unlock your phone.. But if its blocked, well thats different to been unlocked.. Which is it? Just out of curiosity? Or is it both?

There is websites out there that can unlock your phone.. But if its blocked, well thats different to been unlocked.. Which is it? Just out of curiosity? Or is it both?
    they won't work, o2 are saying apple refuse to unlock the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Get your money back off they guy from work you bought the phone off, it's not 02's fault that someone didn't pay their bill.
    Tough sh**

Advertisement