Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to

Options
  • 24-07-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Still looking at houses and really starting to zone in on where we want to be.

Looked at this house in Ballinteer. Like the area, love the size and road of the house. But it's a stretch for us and it needs work. My guess is that it's a rental house for the last few years. Allot of stuff has been done but it's been done randomly and on the cheap.

Have a family friend who is in the building game and he has offered to take a look at one or two houses and help us. But it would be a 4 hour drive (each way) to Dublin, so we can only do this once or twice (being reasonable). So I want to see if this is first a ballpark possibility (before bringing in a site visit and obviously a proper survey later down the line).

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-the-drive-woodpark-ballinteer-dublin-16/1979411

It's got a miserable G BER :eek: which concerns me. Took a look in the attic and it's got crap insulation and the windows are single glazed. Would these alone contribute to the crap rating or could we be looking at having to redo insulation in the walls? Oh, forgot to mention - the exterior side door into the alleyway is just a crappy old internal door painted. So that's gotta be pissing out heat as well.

Electrics look like the original setup so it's a total rewire. Bathroom is relatively recent - new enough basic shower, new enough tiling/sink/toilet. Could live with that for a few years but the piping, boiler and gas burner look as old as the hills.

In ball park figures what would you figure for:

Change out windows to double glazing: Large double window at sitting room, single window plus double window upstairs front, one double window, single kitchen window, small half window and double balcony door at the back.

Rewire: new enough fuse box but would guess it needs to be redone. Redo sockets in every room: approximately 15

Replumb: could live with existing bathroom. Existing rads seem sound but would love to redo piping cos it's been done sloppily. Would need new boiler, tank and piping. Perhaps set the system up to have solar connected at some point down the line.

Thanks again guys. Really appreciate it.

Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I live 10mins from that house nice area:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks,

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-the-drive-woodpark-ballinteer-dublin-16/1979411

It's got a miserable G BER :eek: which concerns me. Took a look in the attic and it's got crap insulation and the windows are single glazed. Would these alone contribute to the crap rating or could we be looking at having to redo insulation in the walls? Oh, forgot to mention - the exterior side door into the alleyway is just a crappy old internal door painted. So that's gotta be pissing out heat as well.

Electrics look like the original setup so it's a total rewire. Bathroom is relatively recent - new enough basic shower, new enough tiling/sink/toilet. Could live with that for a few years but the piping, boiler and gas burner look as old as the hills.

In ball park figures what would you figure for:

Change out windows to double glazing: Large double window at sitting room, single window plus double window upstairs front, one double window, single kitchen window, small half window and double balcony door at the back.

Rewire: new enough fuse box but would guess it needs to be redone. Redo sockets in every room: approximately 15

Replumb: could live with existing bathroom. Existing rads seem sound but would love to redo piping cos it's been done sloppily. Would need new boiler, tank and piping. Perhaps set the system up to have solar connected at some point down the line.

Quad

BER
    these are the primary causes of heat loss - fabric of building / windows and doors. - Up grades to these should help pull you up a couple of notches on your BER - then beyond that its changing the heating system to higher efficiency boiler / burner & putting trv's on rads & upgrading your hotwater storage cylinder to insulated type - (twin coil if you wish to upgrade to solar thermal down the line )
    WINDOWS & DOORS
    Upvc frames / double glazed approx. - 6500 - 9500€ depending on your fitter / spec. etc.
    ELECTRICS
    If its a distribution board - new type board with 'trips' as opposed to fuses - then its likely your wiring is up to modern standards. I'd go for a periodical check from a RECI registered electrician to point out any actual issues with the existing set up & cert. the wiring for your own peace of mind. (nb - this is with out having seen the set up at the property) Not sure what you mean by 15 x sockets to be redone ? - 15 x socket plates ? -
    HEATING
    upgrades to heating system including insulating pipes, insulated tank - all will go towards increasing your energy losses and help your ber rating, as well as high ef. boiler. Difficult to cost with out no. of rads and type of rads, I'd hazard your somewhere between 5 - 10K depending on whats to be done & the system installed.

mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

engineermike please read section 1.6 of the forum charter please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Carpenter wrote: »
    I live 10mins from that house nice area:D

You in a similar house? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks Mike, really appreciate it.

Was referring to sockets in the electrical question (presumed it was important as the wire would be traced to them). It does have a fuse board with trip switches. But it's very much 'thrown in' and looks like a patch job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

Upvc frames / double glazed approx. - 6500 - 9500€ depending on your fitter / spec. etc.
    Just got the quote for windows/doors from global home improvement and its atonishingly 32k withouht discount and then sales rep said we give you 31% summer discount and if you confirm right now further 10% that came to around 20k for 7 windows and 2 doors (front & french Patio door).

Still cant believe it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    Just got the quote for windows/doors from global home improvement and its atonishingly 32k withouht discount and then sales rep said we give you 31% summer discount and if you confirm right now further 10% that came to around 20k for 7 windows and 2 doors (front & french Patio door).

Thats insane!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

zulfikarMD wrote: »

Beware of companies selling like " summer discount " & " 10% if you confirm rite now "
    Its pressure selling technique that larger companies employ.
    I might have been under in my estimate - but taking into account striping the old frames out, and waste removed & making good internally & externally - your still way, way ,way over with that price. I'd be shopping around a bit more before making any choices.
    mikef

Advertisement