Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where could I live-idea's please!

Options
  • 24-07-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

As title suggests, I'm looking for idea's and suggestions on where I could possibly relocate in the short-term. Basically I'm at the tail-end of an unsettled few months and found myself with no commitments and the opportunity to locate elsewhere. I have (some) start-up funds for this. By the way, I'm male, 28.

I was briefly excited at the prospect of heading to Whistler, Canada until I realised the quota's for this years visas are filled. I suppose in some respects that's an indicator of what I'm after- somewhere sociable, with some work opportunities and a different sort of lifestyle. I'm looking for some long overdue fun and good-times basically!

I know travel may seem like an obvious option but I like the idea of being settled somewhere with new friends, if only for a year. Also, I am professionally qualified but am happy to leave that well enough alone for a year. Perhaps also worth mentioning that English is my first and only language :(

Perhaps I'm erring on naiveté with this idea but any suggestions, positive experiences greatly welcomed.

Thanks, M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

If you like the idea of Whistler you'd probably like Banff in Alberta as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hi, if you are after lots of fun, but also a little paid work, have you thought about working on one of the Medditterranean yachts as a helper? They are always looking for help in Monaco for those who like to swan around the Med for summer. If you go to the Monaco website you will find contact numbers and adds for jobs.www.riviera.angloinfo.com is the website where you will find jobs along the Cote'd Azur. There are seriously rich English speaking people in this whole region and they are always looking for help of some kind. I could not believe how much even a dog walker can earn in Monaco. You could then enjoy touring around this beautiful coast on a special reduced train ticket..beautiful Italy is just a short trip down from Monaco. Also, if you have a TEFL course under your belt, you may like to consider teaching English as a Foreign Language in a number of countries, some of which provide board and lodging by way of payment. I am probably not even near what you are seeking, but hope it just gives you an idea at the very least. I wish you lots of fun along the way and a safe return home. Oh by the way, although I doubt that you would consider taking a job in an Irish pub, even for short stints; Berlin, Dusseldorf Hamburg and Munich are full of them and this again would give you the chance to see some really interesting places and meet lots of people. You do not need to worry about speaking German for this kind of work, as it is not expected and young Germans love to go to these places to practice their already good English and to meet English speaking people. If you are either English or Irish, they will keep you talking all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Go teach english in Asia for a year.

A lot of jobs only require a degree, if you want to do a tefl before you go then you could claim more money/better job.
    I took a break from IT & lived in korea for a year teaching english.....i'd highly recommend it. I didn't want to leave!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

retalivity wrote: »
    Go teach english in Asia for a year.

A lot of jobs only require a degree, if you want to do a tefl before you go then you could claim more money/better job.
    I took a break from IT & lived in korea for a year teaching english.....i'd highly recommend it. I didn't want to leave!!!

My friend is doing this and to say she loves it over there is actually the understatement of the century. She is in Seoul. I was toying with the idea myself but I have a full-time job (that I hate but beggars and choosers and all that :) ) so going to do a 2-year distance learning course and get another more practical qualification behind me and then look into Asia or South America.

Wishing you lots of luck with your course and your eventual adventure where ever it takes you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Maire2009 wrote: »
    My friend is doing this and to say she loves it over there is actually the understatement of the century. She is in Seoul. I was toying with the idea myself but I have a full-time job (that I hate but beggars and choosers and all that :) ) so going to do a 2-year distance learning course and get another more practical qualification behind me and then look into Asia or South America.

I lived in Seoul for a year....fantastic city. I would never have left if its werent for other things happening in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Many thanks for the advice and replies guys. I'm toying with the idea of teaching. Exciting!

Great and take good care of yourself on your adventure. Wishing you lots of fun, great experiences, new friends and memories to treasure on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I suppose a precursor to this is "where can you go legally" and "are you willing to work illegally".

Also, what are your language skills.

San Francisco would be my number one pick of anywhere in the world.

New York also would be great.

But am assuming you would be working illegally there. Which is fine for a year, in a cafe or bar etc.

In Europe I would go to Berlin....
    (Spanish/ Italian cities are great, but no work afaik).

Of other cities I've been to.....Vienna is lovely, Beijing is interesting, Indian cities are fascinating but not for the faint hearted, Istanbul very nice, Mexico City is quite exciting.

Of cities I havent been to, but would consider if it was me: Tokyo would be the top of my list, and maybe also Buenes Aires.

I stayed with an amazing Italian family in Florence once and taught their children English. I was made to feel as one of the family and they gave me the most wonderful 3 months. I took off on the train at weekends to Venice, Bologna, Verona, Sienna etc etc. I was paid as well as free board and lodging. There are also language schools in every city in Germany, such as Inlingua where they always need teachers. They can all be contacted by email. The possibilities are endless if you do your homework on line and elsewhere. The idea of staying with a family may not appeal to everyone, but it is far cheaper than paying for apartments or staying in what could be a nightmare hostel type of accommodation, where you have little privacy. Staying with a family has many advantages, as they involve you in their local traditions, festivals and so on and you can learn so much more about the country you are living in than by staying with fellow countrymen, especially those who tend not to integrate and come home with very little to relate of their experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    In Europe I would go to Berlin....
    (Spanish/ Italian cities are great, but no work afaik).

Berlin has no work either (and the little work there is very, very badly paid, I'd steer well clear of Berlin tbh

I guess a lot depends on your own expectations of what to gain on your year out, so that in this instance it is difficult for other people to offer concrete advice, other than to relate of their own positive experiences.

If you are not looking to save money, but just to have enough for daily existence and a little pocket money left over, then obviously you will go to a location which offers you broad experience to take home at the end, memories to treasure of a new culture, interesting and beautiful places visited and good friends made along the way.

The problem, as I recall from wonderful Germany is that accommodation of any kind does not come cheap and would only be managable if in full time work which covers your health care. (Krankenkasse)

I worked full time in my own profession in Dusseldorf, so this was not an issue.

Most of the temporary Irish residents and other nationals tended to teach English in one of the many Language Insititutes such as Inlingua or they worked in cafes, Irish bars or in hotels and of course in many cases the money was low, as you would expect. However, many seemed to get over this by sharing rooms, living in the hotel's staff accommodation and indeed some of the Irish pubs also provided a room to some.

The best bet I guess, is to try to arrange your year out as close as possible to what you want from it by doing your homework stringently on each location considered and then finding contact details and corresponding with them before you make any huge decisions.

If you see something in Europe that you like, you could take a cheapie Ryanair early morning flight over and meet with the prospective employers and sort things out in readiness for your arrival.

I know some girls round here who did that and they not only secured jobs, but also shared accommodation.

I know of one girl who before beginning her own profession here, gave 6 months of her life to overseas voluntary work in Calcutta and says that it was the greatest experience of her life. They always need help and your accommodation is sorted for you by the voluntary agency. Hundreds of young Irish and other Europeans do this on their year out.

Some went to a Kibbutz in Israel and had a wonderful experience, but hey, we are all different and have different dreams.

You have so many options open to you and am sure you know exactly what your aspirations are by now.

As long as your plans offer you the priorities: security, safety and health care, the next part should be easier to work out.

Wishing the very best of luck with making the wisest choice.

Advertisement