Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Thomas - Exchanging goods

Options
  • 24-07-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi, 6 weeks ago my girlfriend bought 2 items from Brown Thomas as a birthday present. When she gave them to me last night they were too small and would not fit. They were medium size and I needed a large. She brought them back to Brown Thomas today asking could she get them in a bigger size and she was told no. I understand that there is a 14 day refund or exchange policy but now she its left with €300 worth of clothes that are of no use. The clothes were obvioulsy never worn, still had all tags in the bag with a receipt. Is there anything that can be done or has she a leg to stand on?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

No Legally speaking as the items are not faulty and it is simply a change of mind because they are too small there is no comeback.

Technically she could pay for the items and instantly ask for a refund and they could refuse as its a change of mind. However most if not all retailers have a voluntary policy of a 14-28 day exchange period.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

No Legally speaking as the items are not faulty and it is simply a change of mind because they are too small there is no comeback.

Technically she could pay for the items and instantly ask for a refund and they could refuse as its a change of mind. However most if not all retailers have a voluntary policy of a 14-28 day exchange period.

Thanks, i called BT's and the manager is off today but was told to call back tomorrow and they might be able to do something. The two items would be very easy sell again so fingers crossed I get some good news tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wow it's unfortunate about how long ago they were bought. Staff are never able to get around policies, asking the department manager is generally the way to go. If they have the sizes you want they might allow it, they don't lose anything that way. It's more difficult from their point of view if they don't stock the clothes you have anymore, as it's very hard to shift clothes when they're out on their own like 'last chance to buy!' that you see in some shops. Hopefully the manager can oblige you or give you a credit note.

Advertisement