Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying mobile phone on Adverts.ie

Options
  • 24-07-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Currently have 18 months left on my billpay contract with 3 but lost my phone last week. Looking to buy a samsung s3 on Adverts.ie - lots of them for sale. Some of these are unopened and locked to various networks - What precautions should I take before buying - what about a guarantee if problems later. If the seller is on a contract and stops paying the bill can the phone be shut down by the network:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Get someone with good feedback. Try and pick it up from their house or place of work if possible, that way you can kick in their front door when it stops working :p Or at least have some kind of comeback. Try and get one with a receipt, although in reality, I've never understood why people look for the receipt, it doesn't really make much difference if the phone is reported stolen or used as an insurance scam. Knowing where somebody lives makes a big difference though. Warranty will be done through Samsung, and they know when the phone was bought so you don't need a receipt in that respect. Don't pay extra for an unlocked S3, you can do it yourself in about 90 seconds. Try to pay around 420 maximum, anymore is too much. Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jakefouro

Sound Griffdaddy - €420 is what I had in mind - You have reassured me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Get someone with good feedback. Try and pick it up from their house or place of work if possible, that way you can kick in their front door when it stops working :p Or at least have some kind of comeback. Try and get one with a receipt, although in reality, I've never understood why people look for the receipt, it doesn't really make much difference if the phone is reported stolen or used as an insurance scam. Knowing where somebody lives makes a big difference though. Warranty will be done through Samsung, and they know when the phone was bought so you don't need a receipt in that respect. Don't pay extra for an unlocked S3, you can do it yourself in about 90 seconds. Try to pay around 420 maximum, anymore is too much. Good Luck!!

Just to point out that, joking aside, there is no warranty given in a private second-hand sale. It's very much "buyer beware" so I'd recommend only buying from someone with good feedback - same as on eBay - and check it out (it boots, no screen damage, seems as described etc) before you hand over the cash

You may want to read this: http://www.nca.ie/nca/second-hand

Also, I've bought and sold loads on Adverts and never met anyone at my house/work and don't think I would. Most deals are done in public places like car parks and shopping centres in my experience and (maybe I've been lucky) I've never had a problem but I've read some of the horror stories and wouldn't risk having some crazy dude turning up at my door because he dropped it on his way home or something and wanted a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Just to point out that, joking aside, there is no warranty given in a private second-hand sale. It's very much "buyer beware" so I'd recommend only buying from someone with good feedback - same as on eBay - and check it out (it boots, no screen damage, seems as described etc) before you hand over the cash

I've never had a problem sending anything back under warranty that I bought 2nd hand? It works off the imei and once they see that it's still in the 2 year period they generally fix it.

I don't usually meet people at my house either, but if they really want to and don't seem like a mentalist I don't have much of a problem with it. If they drop it and break it on the way home that's their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I've never had a problem sending anything back under warranty that I bought 2nd hand? It works off the imei and once they see that it's still in the 2 year period they generally fix it.

Sorry, me being clear as mud :o - I meant warranty by the seller (in response to your - hopefully joking! :p - "go bang their door down" approach). Manufacturer warranty should be unaffected as you say.

So no matter what the bill payer does the company cannot shut down the phone. I suppose if I got the seller to sign a declaration stating that
    he sold the phone to me would be proof that the phone was not stolen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jakefouro wrote: »
    So no matter what the bill payer does the company cannot shut down the phone. I suppose if I got the seller to sign a declaration stating that
    he sold the phone to me would be proof that the phone was not stolen.

The networks WILL shut down the phone if it is subsidised by them....i.e. the original owner got it on contract or upgrade and stopped paying the bill. They won't just shut down the number, they will blacklist the IMEI as well.

And that "declaration' is worthless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What would be the point to that? They are losing money on a subsidised phone, yet they would allow the customer to get a Prepay sim and continue using their service?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure. I was surprised myself tbh. Like I said in the end I ended up buying it in the shop for peace of mind.

Thats my main worry..buying a phone that is on contract and the company shutting it down. What if a phone is unlocked?

jakefouro wrote: »
    Thats my main worry..buying a phone that is on contract and the company shutting it down. What if a phone is unlocked?

It won't matter. If the carrier supplies the phone, they'll have the IMEI number, even if they unlock it. They'll then blacklist the phone itself.

whiterebel wrote: »
    What would be the point to that? They are losing money on a subsidised phone, yet they would allow the customer to get a Prepay sim and continue using their service?

Yes, while also attempting to extract payment from the customer with debt collectors, court appearances etc. They still make the customer honour the contract and pay for it. The only time they'll cut it off is if it's used to claim insurance or reported stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭kirving

That defeats the whole purpose of the IMEI though. The SIM can be easily blocked.
    Also, once someone(who as registered their details when buying/setting up a SIM) insters a SIM into the phone, the operator would be albe to link the stolen phone to that SIM.

That is bonkers. They are looking to get done by defaulters at that rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

None of the Irish networks black list phones because of defaulters. Just does not happen.
    Also, once someone(who as registered their details when buying/setting up a SIM) insters a SIM into the phone, the operator would be albe to link the stolen phone to that SIM.
    And? They can do SFA.

None of the Irish networks black list phones because of defaulters. Just does not happen.

And? They can do SFA.

3 definitely do. For O2 I'm sure I've seen posts from people that have bought upgrades and because the owner stopped paying, the phone is blacklisted.

Advertisement