Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marley Grange in Rathfarnham or Broadford in Ballinteer?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I´ll looking into moving to/buying in this area of Dublin. For work reasons I need to be close to the M50.
    I don´t know much about these areas so any opinions and input regarding the areas, problems, traffic etc. I´m moving with two small children from a problematic area so don´t want to make the same mistake again. I´m looking for a settled, relatively quiet estate. Are there particular estates/areas to avoid? Are there other estates in Rathfarnham or surroundings that are still close to the M50 that would be recommended? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I grew up living in Marley, its a good estate plenty of fond memories. I also went to the primary school there and it was a good school.

I've friends from Broadford and like wise its a good estate. Of the two I'd pick Marley, but then i would be slightly bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Joangon

Thanks ted1, just wondering if there are particular areas to stay clear of? I read a few things about Hillview and it looks close to Broadford and very close to the sports centre on the map. I don´t want to offend here but as I mentioned in the original post I have been badly bitten by buying in an area I didn´t know and don´t want to make the same mistake again.
    Just another thing, do you know the primary school in Marley is the feeder school for which secondary school in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I went to Terenure but most of the guys went to de la salle in churchtown or St. Bendillus. The girls went to Beaufort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Hillview was originally a council estate that had a minor reputation in the 70's and 80's but it is fairly settled now.

Ludford is probably the quietest and most mature of the estates (built during the mid 60's) and is very close to the M50 exit (though not as close as Woodpark). Ludford is also handy for Dundrum and the Luas.

The Woodpark estate is very close to the M50 ballinteer exit and is a well established housing estate (i'm originally from Woodpark myself).

Delbrook, Hilton and Kingston estates date from the late 80's - 90's and are attractive looking estates in the upper middle class income bracket. They are beside the Ballinteer road connecting to the M50 interchange.

All these estates are well established, quiet and in the case of Ludford and Woodpark well mature at this stage.

Ballinteer is a good environment to raise a family - close to the mountains (from Woodpark it is a 1.5 hour walk to the top of the three rock), Marley park, a 10-20 minute walk to Dundrum, Good public transport options and plenty of good schools in the area. But it is a bit pricey - in fact I was priced out of the area during the Celtic tiger era unfortunately.

Downsides are traffic - espicially on a wet weekend day...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How much are you looking to spend? Marley would typically be more expensive than Broadford.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, being close to places where you can get out to and walk is great.It is one of the main selling points of the area for me, after the M50 and Luas of course! It is good to hear positive feedback about the area in general and the estates.

Hi Greebo, we would be looking at spending 270K-280K and no more. Is this below or above what houses are going for in these two areas? Also is there any reason for Marley Grange being more expensive than Broadford?
    And also does anyone know anything about Llewellyn? Llewellyn is located just between Marley Grange and Broadford but looking at daft is cheaper . Is Llewellyn an ex-council estate? I don´t want to offend anyone here with my last question, anly trying to find out why is that much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont think you are going to get a house in Marley for that price tbh.
    I assume you are looking for 3bed semi-d?

In my opinion Marley would have always been a more affluent area than Ballinteer.

I've never really heard of many problems in Llewellyn, but it is a bit of a walkthrough with people crossing to the school, pitches and even Nutgrove, so you might want to look at a house that is back in a bit.

Parts of Broadford can have similar issues around the Superquinn.

That said the north of Marley (Marley Court/Dargle) have had similar issues.
    I guess anywhere is susceptible to those problems.

You could also take a look around Hermitage/Grange Manor/Park Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

We live in Llewellyn. We actually rent here now after growing out of our apartment in ballintyre. Llewellyn is nice. Certaintly no problems and it is a bit of a walk through because you can cut from grange road to Nutgrove - but that said we often walk up through Marley grange as well to get to the park or the Eden pub. I find Llewellyn lovely. Nice neighbours and nice kids out playing - all seem very friendly. Its only a 7 minute walk from the devine word school and less than 10 to Nutgrove. My husband walks to the luas every morning (straight down barton road) - takes about 20 minutes.

I personally don't know if Llewellyn is ex - council - I don't *think* so but I'm open to correction. The houses are small though. Only one bathroom and they're cosy enough. Plenty of space for us at the moment - we have 2 kids but if we had a 3rd I'd be looking to rent somewhere bigger. Just for more downstairs space. Upstairs is fine. That said, lots of Llewellyn houses have extensions. I'd recommend it anyway.

Thanks Highly1111.
    We are thinking on renting first before we buy and Llewellyn looks like a good option (200euro/month cheaper than Marley Grange or Broadford for a 3 bedroom semidetached house)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Llewelyn was built by private spec builder Abbey Homes c 1976 and were good price at the time as somewhat smaller than average semi detached of the day.... no garage. I looked at them but bought same housetype/same builder over in Dundrum (Wedgewood) where I lived happily for 5 years. It was slightly cheaper than Llewellyn at that time I think. You could take a look at this estate also. It is close to link to M50, walkable to Sandyford industrial estate, Beacon shops and hospital and very close to luas stop via pedestrian link. Mixture of house finishes here but same layout internally. I notice a lot have been improved over years with extensions, new kitchens, window etc. Walkable to Benildus boys secondary school. Primary school is beside estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The only ex-council estate is Hillview, and that should be avoided.

The rest of the area is perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

lxflyer wrote: »
    The only ex-council estate is Hillview, and that should be avoided.

The rest of the area is perfectly fine.

Agreed. While it has calmed down from what it used to be, it still isn't a great area at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4 learner1959

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a house in Llewelyn in Rathfarnham, I've seen a few and want to put in an offer tomorrow. I have one concern, how well insulated are they , noise wise, from the adjoining neighbor's house?
    I believe a lot of semi detached houses built in this era may have issues in this. Anybody living there could advice?? greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

We lived there for 10 months (renting) and never had a problem with noise levels. I don't know if we were just lucky but personally we never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 learner1959

highly1111 wrote: »
    We lived there for 10 months (renting) and never had a problem with noise levels. I don't know if we were just lucky but personally we never had a problem.

Thanks for that.. i went up there this evening and asked a couple of people,,, yes you can hear your neighbor's telly a bit but overall they very happy with the place... think i will go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dunnothisyet

Thanks for that.. i went up there this evening and asked a couple of people,,, yes you can hear your neighbor's telly a bit but overall they very happy with the place... think i will go for it

Does anyone know what brick construction was used for the walls of houses in these estates. Looking at a house in woodpark estate and the BER rating is fairly low. Are these cavity wall or cavity block walls? Cavity wall construction would be a lot cheaper to improve the insulatation if need be.

Advertisement