Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to UK - Visa Query

• 24-07-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So myself and my partner want to move to the UK. I'm irish, so this isn't about me, but she's Canadian, so we need to sort out a visa for her.

I'm just wondering what the best visa would be for her to apply for. We just need something basic (like the 1 year working holiday visas for Canada and Aus). But she turns 30 in 6 weeks, so not sure if this is an issue.

I'm just starting to research this, but would appreciate if someone could point me in the best direction!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you can establish that you hae been in a durable relationship for more than two years, she can come live in the UK visa free although better to apply for the relevant EEA partner card.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-family/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Can Commonwealth nationals not migrate to the UK quite easily? It's not as simple as EU nationals but it's definately much easier for a Canadian or Australian to move to the UK than for an American for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

A bit of an obvious question I suppose, but would she qualify for an EU passport by descent e.g. Irish parent or grandparent, French or British parent?

If Markusm's suggestion isn't an option, or if you don't plan to marry before you move, you could check out the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) which is based on allocation numbers for different countries each year, of which Canada is one. You have to be under 31 years of age to apply, you have to apply from outside UK & 50 points have to be scored. All info in above link, though there were/are only 5,000 places available for Canadian citizens for 2012, so it might be the case that she would have to wait until 2013 if she'd still be under 31 to apply.

It's worth looking into anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

If I recall correctly a Non EU Spouse of EU citizen can get a Family permit card to join their family provided that the EU member of the family has an address and is working in that country. First you have to go and get a job and address set up. Then she applies for visa to join family. When she arrives she is given a stamp to remain for a few weeks. In this time she must go to the home office where she will apply for and get an EU family member residency card.

As a family member of an EU citizen she will have full rights to work and access services while she is there. In UK a family member (where immigration is concerned) is considered the spouse, direct parents, Parents in law and direct children under 18 of the EU citizen and his/her non EU spouse.

You may be able to go together initially but i am unsure how this works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement