Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork Chess Clubs?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

I'm enquiring for a friend of mine. Does anyone know of any Chess clubs in West Cork (I know there are some in Cork City, but it's too far). Ideally in Clonakility, Skibberreen or any other local areas.

Cheers.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Not much help but...
    A year ago I was up in cork for the weekend and decided to go play some live chess as opposed to internet chess, in the chess club at Patricks quay,
    Any way they were telling me that they used to have a club that met in O'Donovans(iirc) hotel in Clonakilty a few years back but that it had died out.
    If you do find a club around the west cork region I would be very interested in joining it as chess is a passion of mine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

AutumnDays wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm enquiring for a friend of mine. Does anyone know of any Chess clubs in West Cork (I know there are some in Cork City, but it's too far). Ideally in Clonakility, Skibberreen or any other local areas.

The secondary schools have chess clubs,there office is open all year round call in and ask them,if they know of any clubs outside of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AutumnDays

Thanks for the response guys.

housetypeb: Are you living in West Cork? The friend of mine who wants to play is - now I think he's fairly good, won quite a few tournaments (I know nothing about it myself :o). Suppose if there is nothing set up, could always think about starting one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I am west cork based, I am a widower with two kids so I really don't have a lot of free time on my hands hence the online playing, but it would be nice if there was a west cork chess club,I do know a few others that would be interested,maybe not every week but maybe two/three times a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 casual chess

Hello. there is a group that meets for chess in the bar in O'Donovans Hotel Clonakilty on wednesday nights at 8.30. On the first wed.of the month we meet in the Maxol garage. A small group of intermediate players ,always looking for new members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 AutumnDays

Thanks, he found his way to the Clon chess club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 casual chess

Thats great AutumnDays as the more the merrier.:) We are now playing chess only in O'Donovans hotel every Wed at 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

AutumnDays wrote: »
    Hi,

Would you consider entering a team in the Munster chess league?

Advertisement