Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland / Irish Squad (apologies in advance)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

noodler wrote: »
    I reject this assertion anyway.

Trap has spent far too much time talking about Ireland for me to believe he didn't want him at one stage at the very least.

True in a way. Certainly at the start he was very vocal about wanting him in the squad. IIRC he gave him until our second competitive to declare himself available before saying that he would no longer be allowed to jump on board.

Another problem is, however, that he is still sticking to his loyalty guns. If S Ireland was, say, unavailable for Traps first year due to injury, and gradually started to come back into form, there is no guarantee given Traps loyalty policy that he would have even made the team.

Certainly after what happened at the Euros, this is the first time that he would be welcomed back and forgiven by most fans- we truly are that desperate now.

True in a way. Certainly at the start he was very vocal about wanting him in the squad. IIRC he gave him until our second competitive to declare himself available before saying that he would no longer be allowed to jump on board.

Another problem is, however, that he is still sticking to his loyalty guns. If S Ireland was, say, unavailable for Traps first year due to injury, and gradually started to come back into form, there is no guarantee given Traps loyalty policy that he would have even made the team.

Certainly after what happened at the Euros, this is the first time that he would be welcomed back and forgiven by most fans- we truly are that desperate now.

Dont think we are that desperate. There are players who are available who would do as good a job as him. Mc Carthy will hopefully come into the side so dont see where Ireland would fit in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Dont think we are that desperate. There are players who are available who would do as good a job as him. Mc Carthy will hopefully come into the side so dont see where Ireland would fit in.

He'd fit in very well in a 3rd man mid imo

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In terms of ability, I'd definitely have him back. Easily superior to what we currently play in centre mid.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll never be that desperate. I don't want to watch players who think they deserve special treatment, or might decide to pack it in halfway through a campaign for whatever reason. Until he has demonstrated a clear change in his attitude to playing for his country we'll happily make do without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    My position on Stephen Ireland has never changed - he should not be allowed back into any Irish squad (friendly or no) until he has publically apologised and kissed the ring. If he isn't willing to do that he can piss off - no matter how lacking the options provided by those currently interested in playing for the country amount to.

Real simple stuff.

I don't think he should play again even if he performed the requisite amount of contrition.

A little bit of constructive vindictiveness for the sake of principle is acceptable in these cases. And what is playing for your country if not a rapidly-fading principle?

Fair enough, I'm not that pushed about the international team these days but surely then that should mean that people that are should be even more enamored of the principle of representing your country rather than accepting any indignity if it means fielding certain players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't think he should play again even if he performed the requisite amount of contrition.

A little bit of constructive vindictiveness for the sake of principle is acceptable in these cases. And what is playing for your country if not a rapidly-fading principle?

Fair enough, I'm not that pushed about the international team these days but surely then that should mean that people that are should be even more enamored of the principle of representing your country rather than accepting any indignity if it means fielding certain players.

I don't disagree with any of this tbh. We do have players on the team at the moment who would be in the stands if they weren't on the pitch. But when they fall short like they did in June (not for any lack of effort) they are pillioried by so called Irish "fans".

There SHOULD be a difference between International and club football. Participation in the former should require a certain degree of national pride and fervour. So many people apply club based logic to the Irish team - i.e. just pick the most inform bunch of players eligible for selection every time.

Stephen Ireland's ability and potential has never been in question imo. But that really is not the issue here at all. Playing for Ireland doesn't seem of any great value or importance to him. So he can **** off. And yes, you are most likely correct - there probably should be no turning back now. Words are cheap anyway, very easy to prepare the right statement or say the right sentences on the phone to Trapp or his successor two years hence...

Advertisement