Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomato trusses

Options
  • 24-07-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

hi, i have a few moneymaker tomato plants that have well developed trusses. i notice that the outer most part of the truss has kept growing and leaves have appeared. i let it grow and now flowers are appearing. is this ok or should i cut the truss back or why does this happen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

nokiatom wrote: »
    hi, i have a few moneymaker tomato plants that have well developed trusses. i notice that the outer most part of the truss has kept growing and leaves have appeared. i let it grow and now flowers are appearing. is this ok or should i cut the truss back or why does this happen

Pics help but its common enough to see in garden varieties like Moneymaker, just pinch out the head of the shoot on the end of the truss. You should never have to use a knife when shooting or deleafing a tomato plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

the flowers will develop into fruit so don't remove them unless you already have enough on the plant and want to concentrate the energy into those. as previous poster mentioned if you pinch the head off the end of the truss (the top most bit in between the fork of the leaves, it will prevent it from growing further). you should do this at the very top of the plant after it has developed about 4 or 5 trusses, and of course pinch out the shoots in between developed trusses and the main stem of the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Have been reading that this is happening a lot this year. Certainly I've seen it on my plants. With the year that's in it I've been taking them off, also those mini trusses that develop at the end of some trusses. The plants are struggling enough with these poor weather conditions without giving them more growth and fruit to deal with I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭nokiatom

redser7 wrote: »
    Have been reading that this is happening a lot this year. Certainly I've seen it on my plants. With the year that's in it I've been taking them off, also those mini trusses that develop at the end of some trusses. The plants are struggling enough with these poor weather conditions without giving them more growth and fruit to deal with I reckon.
    i do agree what you say about the weather, sunshine is lacking so much. ive decided to cut them off and let the energy go to the rest of the plant. funny thing it has only happened to one plant

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lasvegas100

Flowers on the truss naturally drop off after pollination. The fruit can't develop until the flower falls away. When the plant's flowers drop prematurely, the truss doesn't have an opportunity to set and the young tomatoes never develop. When the plant is subjected to hot daytime temperatures or conditions with low light levels, the flowers can drop early. Moisture fluctuations surrounding the roots, especially lack of water, stress the truss and cause flower drop. Finally, mineral imbalance and lack of pollination contribute to the condition.

• Advertisement

Flowers on the truss naturally drop off after pollination. The fruit can't develop until the flower falls away. When the plant's flowers drop prematurely, the truss doesn't have an opportunity to set and the young tomatoes never develop. When the plant is subjected to hot daytime temperatures or conditions with low light levels, the flowers can drop early. Moisture fluctuations surrounding the roots, especially lack of water, stress the truss and cause flower drop. Finally, mineral imbalance and lack of pollination contribute to the condition.

yes im aware of that....thanks anyway. its just that one plant out of eight plants have these extended trusses. i was curious about that

Pics help but its common enough to see in garden varieties like Moneymaker, just pinch out the head of the shoot on the end of the trust. You should never have to use a knife when shooting or deleafing a tomato plant.
    this is the only truss remaining...i had shortened the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All 5 of mine are doing this this year, with 3 different varieties. I've never seen it before.

Alun wrote: »
    All 5 of mine are doing this this year, with 3 different varieties. I've never seen it before.
    i tried many varieties last year. 8 were indoors in pots and 20 outdoors in pots. had a nice crop. photo attached

Nice, did you find a favourite?

• Advertisement

Nice, did you find a favourite?
    they all tasted good but ararat flame and forest fire were nice as i never grew them before

gotto love the names :) Thanks

gotto love the names :) Thanks
    got the seeds from a crowd in skibbereen. they do all their own organic seeds.

http://www.brownenvelopeseeds.com/

Advertisement