Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropbox

Options
  • 24-07-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

Hello, not sure if this the right place, but anyway:

I need to send some files to someone, but they're pretty big (the total will probably be about 10gb), so a friend recommended Dropbox as a solution.

Just wanted to know (before I use it) if it is indeed a good service, and if it's secure etc.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I haven't used dropbox, but their free version only allows you 2gb of memory at the start. (They give you 500mb for each referral you get to join the site)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Sinfonia wrote: »

I need to send some files to someone, but they're pretty big (the total will probably be about 10gb), so a friend recommended Dropbox as a solution.

Just wanted to know (before I use it) if it is indeed a good service, and if it's secure etc.

Any advice appreciated

we use it in work, not surely about the safety of it but i wouldnt worry unless its bank ac nums, you need a username and pwd to transfer files.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I haven't used dropbox, but their free version only allows you 2gb of memory at the start. (They give you 500mb for each referral you get to join the site)

Dang, just saw that now.

Any other free suggestions? (Don't have a credit card)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Dang, just saw that now.

Any other free suggestions? (Don't have a credit card)

Ubuntu One (also available for Windows and Android) offers 5 GB for free.

I'm using Dropbox alright, but I did not install their software. I can live with the "inconvenience" of uploading/downloading my files through the web browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any advice appreciated

What's your upload speed? You may be quicker posting a few disks/usb key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You could try mediafire, not sure about security or if it's free for a 10gb file.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

For 10gigs it would probably be more cost effective to get a 16gb USB key/burn a Dual Layer and single layer DVD instead, alot of these file hosts limit the amount you can upload, or may have a ridiculously slow download the other end unless your a "premium" member

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Instead of you uploading it to a third party host and then your friend downloading it from there, you could just set up a torrent and let him download it directly from you. Assuming your friends' download speed is greater than your upload speed it should be the fastest way to transfer. Although it might be slightly inconvenient since you'll both have to be online at the same time to make any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Right, I put one of the files (video file, 2.14gb) into a .rar, and it compressed to 375mb, so that might solve the problem!

Thanks for y'all's replies btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Google Drive gives you 5Gb. If you've already got a google account then you're ready to go.
    https://drive.google.com/start#home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It might be a bit late or you may not need it anymore, but I stumbled across this. Its got a free 14 day trial, and unlimited cloud storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Right, I put one of the files (video file, 2.14gb) into a .rar, and it compressed to 375mb, so that might solve the problem!

Thanks for y'all's replies btw :)
    just to follow on from this, you can secure the .rar too by encrypting it or a simple password if youre worried about safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Look up log me in hamachi - it will allow you to set up a network between the two of you and you can then transfer the files as if you were on the same network.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sabahm

professore wrote: »
    Look up log me in hamachi - it will allow you to set up a network between the two of you and you can then transfer the files as if you were on the same network.

Yes, but will that work as an online storage option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

sabahm wrote: »
    Yes indeed! Dropbox is among the paramount players of the industry and you can trust and rely on them to store and manage your confidential data on the cloud.

No you can't.
    Dropbox were hacked and they took their time about responding to it and dealing with it.

News Link

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you had a Hotmail account and used(or just lurked around) Microsoft's Skydrive, you could be eligible for 25GB free or something. Okay it's not the best online storage solution but it's still 25GB..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

No you can't.
    Dropbox were hacked and they took their time about responding to it and dealing with it.

News Link
    Servers are in the US aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I use Dropbox and Google docs..quick move around with the folders and a relocation, now means that anything syncing to google docs will upload to dropbox..

All pretty handy.

Advertisement