Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment to Rent Kilkenny?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any of you any experience of renting something like a two bed apt/house in Kilkenny?
    Looking here at the mo and am taken aback by the prices and the lack of availability to be honest. I want to rent in a decent area. Ardilea for example looks nice. As does College Square. But are pricey still.
    Trying agents, daft.ie, are there any other avenues worth exploring? Not much on the KK people either. Have people found much scope for neg on the prices? I sure as hell am going to try!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Try a wanted add in the back of the Kilkenny people, there are always people who don't want to publicise the fact they have a property to rent for whatever reason;).
    Small wanted add on supermarket notice board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There's a real old skool auctioneer there beside Tynan's bar on John's bridge.

...Actual photographs of the houses developed and stuck underneath the handwritten descriptions (no printouts, oh no), and I have never seen a sign for him, an advertisement or indeed a house up on daft. Love the place.

I bet he advertises in the London Telegraph or something. He might be able to hook you up with the inside track into some fly-ass olde worlde accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Place an ad, pay the extra for a box ad in the kilkenny People. We were in the same position a few years ago, totally uninspired by the listings but the ad worked very well for us. It took time, roughly six weeks but we got better than we expected. Plus if you have references, state that too.
    It was a real pleasure to have landlords meet our terms, viewing times that suited us and being able to say "thanks, we'll get back to you once we've viewed all the others".
    One poor delusional landlord thought that he was one in control when he said "you can move in on Friday, I can take the deposit now".
    We told him we had other offers to view and left his crummy slumhouse, he rang us again a week later but this time the cockyness was gone and all he could say was "well are you still interested?".
    I should have replied "we were never interested in the first place" but I just fobbed him off politely.
    Being able to be picky is another joy of renting.

Edit to ad: what we did get was twice the size of our previous place for 20% less, the landlady was just happy that we would be there for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Also the relative lack of availability is mad. At the mo on daft.ie for Kilkenny city (pop 25,000) there are 77 available properties...In New Ross (pop 8200) there are 79!!
    Think Kilkenny has one of the lowest property vacancy rates and this bares this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BigGayKirk

Hi mfitzy, do you have any update on how your search is going??

I'm also looking for a two bed apt in the city but there isnt anything available thats really grabbing my attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BigGayKirk wrote: »
    Hi mfitzy, do you have any update on how your search is going??

I'm also looking for a two bed apt in the city but there isnt anything available thats really grabbing my attention

Yea got sorted. Close to city centre and fairly modern and decent. Not ideally what I wanted but ticks most of the boxes.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yea got sorted. Close to city centre and fairly modern and decent. Not ideally what I wanted but ticks most of the boxes.
    Ok good stuff. Do you recommend putting an add in the paper or going to any of the auctioneers in the city?
    So far I have just searched online. I went into one office and was told everything is on daft so just keep looking online!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

BigGayKirk wrote: »
    Ok good stuff. Do you recommend putting an add in the paper or going to any of the auctioneers in the city?
    So far I have just searched online. I went into one office and was told everything is on daft so just keep looking online!!

They're useless in the offices, I had two different offices tell me that! Mental! What I'd recommend is setting up an alert on daft that sends you an email the minute a new property that matches your criteria is posted. Call the minute you see something you like because it's first come first served and 1 or 2 bed places are in high demand, there's just not enough of them around. Also make sure you have the deposit in hand! I was offered a place that I viewed because she had given the couple she offered it to 24 hours to get the deposit to her and they didn't so she called me.

I have a place now after a few weeks of looking. It's a weird place to rent though Kilkenny, the only place I've ever rented where you decide you'll take a place and they tell you they'll get back after they've had a few more viewings! Mental! :confused:

They're useless in the offices, I had two different offices tell me that! Mental! What I'd recommend is setting up an alert on daft that sends you an email the minute a new property that matches your criteria is posted. Call the minute you see something you like because it's first come first served and 1 or 2 bed places are in high demand, there's just not enough of them around. Also make sure you have the deposit in hand! I was offered a place that I viewed because she had given the couple she offered it to 24 hours to get the deposit to her and they didn't so she called me.

I have a place now after a few weeks of looking. It's a weird place to rent though Kilkenny, the only place I've ever rented where you decide you'll take a place and they tell you they'll get back after they've had a few more viewings! Mental! :confused:

Yea I know what you mean. I viewed a lovely apartment last week and was very interested but the woman was having none of it until the deposit is paid and they have written references on hand!! And I got abit of a grilling on if we were working and where!! Im suprised she didn't ask me how much I earn in a week :rolleyes:
    Im typing up the references now so hopefully no one will beat us to it!!

If I lose out I'l set up that alert on daft. Thanks for the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

fabbydabby wrote: »
    There's a real old skool auctioneer there beside Tynan's bar on John's bridge.

...Actual photographs of the houses developed and stuck underneath the handwritten descriptions (no printouts, oh no), and I have never seen a sign for him, an advertisement or indeed a house up on daft. Love the place.

I bet he advertises in the London Telegraph or something. He might be able to hook you up with the inside track into some fly-ass olde worlde accommodation.

Godfrey Greene. He even has a great name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Looking for some place to stay myself. 1 roomish would be enough. Please, pm me if something reasonable comes up. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Godfrey Greene. He even has a great name.

That he does. Godfrey T. Greene. Though I noticed lately his place is no longer painted Greene.

I bet he owns a smoking jacket. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

fabbydabby wrote: »
    That he does. Godfrey T. Greene. Though I noticed lately his place is no longer painted Greene.

I bet he owns a smoking jacket. Legend.

And wears a monocle.

Advertisement