Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rsa rcg bar and cocktail courses in Sydney

Options
  • 24-07-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey
    I found a place that offers all 4 of he above courses for $399. Just wondering if this was good value? Also if I complete all of them would I have any chance of getting bar work even though I wouldn't really have bar experience. I do have customer service exp as well as organising events for my last job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

debs1 wrote: »
    Hey
    I found a place that offers all 4 of he above courses for $399. Just wondering if this was good value? Also if I complete all of them would I have any chance of getting bar work even though I wouldn't really have bar experience. I do have customer service exp as well as organising events for my last job.

If you a woman you have a better chance of getting a job in a bar (in Melbourne anyway). If you have experience you'll find bar work no problem.

Since you have no experience you might find it tricky to get work. Doing these courses might help, but If you do them I'd forge a bit of bar experience on your CV as well. Working in a bar is a piece of piss. If you can pull a pint, work fast and tidy, make the odd cocktail and come in on time no body will care what your past bar experience is.

In my experience in hospitality I've seen people with 20 years experience in the industry who have been absolutely rubbish and I've seen people with no experience be $hit hot. If you are a good quick worker, are organised and have people skills prior experience isn't really that important. But you'll still need to have experience on your CV to get your foot in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 35 debs1

debs1 wrote: »
    Hey

If you a woman you have a better chance of getting a job in a bar (in Melbourne anyway). If you have experience you'll find bar work no problem.

Since you have no experience you might find it tricky to get work. Doing these courses might help, but If you do them I'd forge a bit of bar experience on your CV as well. Working in a bar is a piece of piss. If you can pull a pint, work fast and tidy, make the odd cocktail and come in on time no body will care what your past bar experience is.

In my experience in hospitality I've seen people with 20 years experience in the industry who have been absolutely rubbish and I've seen people with no experience be $hit hot. If you are a good quick worker, are organised and have people skills prior experience isn't really that important. But you'll still need to have experience on your CV to get your foot in the door

Thanks a mill. I did used to work in a bar collecting glasses ( was only 15) so was 13 years ago and the place has since closed down so wouldn't even be able to put anyone down for a reference. Would you reckon that would be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Collecting glass 13 years ago will stand to you about as much as washing your plate after your dinner each night.
    If you put down some recent bar work at home, they aren't going to be trying to ring for a reference.

Advertisement