Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

net making supplies

Options
  • 24-07-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anyone know where I can get net making supplies for Making purse nets in Ireland. Any info at all would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Any decent RFD will get them for you from deben.

Just so you know, I make my own nets, and to be honest, you wont save a whole lot on them- plus its fairly time consuming.

EDIT: Dont let the dealer tell you he cant get it either, if he buys off deben then he *can* get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

Drop down around fishing boats they always have scraps of nets to small for them but be loads for what you need..or go to a garden center and get nets for covering vegetables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Only a few weeks ago someone put a link up with all nets for catching hare/rabbit. Some crowd in England specialize in them and every net going. Someone on this forum knows. Haven't time at the min to go looking for the site. Keep an eye on this thread. I will try have a look for you later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

huntmark wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get net making supplies for Making purse nets in Ireland. Any info at all would be great thanks

jim halpin listowel i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Mike87 wrote: »

Just so you know, I make my own nets, and to be honest, you wont save a whole lot on them- plus its fairly time consuming.

EDIT: Dont let the dealer tell you he cant get it either, if he buys off deben then he *can* get it.

You can order off Deben yourself you don't have to go through a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 huntmark

Mike87 wrote: »

would prefer to make my own. I know a few places where I can get deben ones. Where do you get your supplies from

shooter88 wrote: »
    Drop down around fishing boats they always have scraps of nets to small for them but be loads for what you need..or go to a garden center and get nets for covering vegetables
    most fishing net is to heavy or not strong enough. Vegetable netting would be no use for catching rabbits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

huntmark wrote: »
    would prefer to make my own. I know a few places where I can get deben ones. Where do you get your supplies from

Well for the needle- just get yourself some wood and a jigsaw, that way you can make it to suit yourself- and it wont take long until you have 8 or 9 needles all for different jobs. Something like this will be perfect to get you started. Make it say 8-10 inches long.

img-mn-sym90.jpg

Then I get my dealer to order a roll of this from deben:

http://www.deben.com/ferret-finder/nylon-braid-270m-1kg-spool.html

THen I go to any shops that sell curtains and buy my rings there. Definietly price around and avoid the big names like Harry Corry etc... Some of the smaller shops have buckets of mixed rings which is what I use myself. I get them 5 rings for a euro. Or 50 for 8 euro.

Like I said, making nets its fairly time consuming. I spent countless hours making them when I was younger but these days Id only make 1 or 2 nets a month just because its so time consuming and the fact I can buy them nearly as cheap in the shop. The only net work I'd really do now is with long nets. Im sure you know yourself, the long net could be up to 100 meters long and if it gets snagged or ripped Id just cut out the square, knit up a new sqaure and then stitch it in.

But goodluck with your nets anyway. And if you need any help, send me a message. Ive been messing around with nets for nearly 20 years at this stage and have done everything from longnets to foxnets to lobsterpots.

Great thanks for the information appreciate it. I have some normal nylon nets but just like to make things myself especially in different colours. Will hope to pick up some twine at birr this year, which will keep me going and give me something to do on those long winter nights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Gundrys in killibegs or Castletownbere. They supply all things nets and net making equipment. They will post you just about anything you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement