Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help advice needed

• 24-07-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

ok here it goes ... new to this site today,im in a bit of bother i have been helping my uncle out on his farm all my life apart from my early 20s when i got the itch to travel..
    he im sorry to say has passed to pastures greener and now i find myself in the middle of a cyclone.... [caused by family blowing hot air and looking for their slice of the pie...not that there was much]......
    anyway get to the point his land was sold as he lay sick by a greedy brother who he had signed the land to so he could draw his pension when i was traveling.. this only surfaced when the signs went up..when this happened he realised the mistake he had made and made sure the house,yard,and sheds were left to me ... im now tryin to start from scratch apart from 5 sucklers , 5 acres of ground i bought thats beside the yard and around 35-40 acres of rented land im in the process of getting
    im also in the process of getting my uncles herd no transfered to my name but after this im in a grey area ...im not going into this to try and make a packet just to do something i love
    all advice from here on would be gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭butt1

youre mad,but i understand,get a good local agri adviser,he,l point u in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 19 farmer x

your not the first to say that . its just I don't want to give up as I have all the kit 4wd tractor machinery etc . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Sorry to hear about all the hassle , but at least your trying to get things back on track. I am currently trying to expand the suckler herd. really hearing great reports on limo heifers out of british Friesan, so bought 15 buctet feed heifers direct off farmers at reasonable money bought a ten bf bull calves too, just to have something extra to sell next year. will hold on to any of our own suckled heifers and basicaly just cover costs for the next year. have a shed and few bits to do aswell.
    Im finding the calves are a consitent cost but a small amount regularly so it still gives me a bit of a life.
    I was buying in calf heifers and bulling heifers, but found the cost at the outset was making things a lot harder to cope with. I know i will be getting a faster return but it really sets back your enthusiasm if you are struggling being broke. I have a bit of ground taken long term which i was hoping to get but just wasnt ready to take but couldnt afford to miss out on. This really threw a cat amongst the pigeons and drained more finances.
    I dont know whether you have any machinery, but their will be another capital cost. keep a simple tractor fertilizer spreader and bale spike or grab, everything else would be great but stick with the essentials.
    Iits up to you what you want to take from my experience of it as im still not finished yet but if i can help with the very limited experience i have, i will.
    Have set my goals on 70 sucklers for 2014. This may change. i think with any farming you will never be finished expanding or changing, just ask anyone on here, they are all at it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

mayb pedigree route+ few commerical cows.. as said before-buy in bucket fed calves.. start from scratch
    its good to have a interest--never be a millionaire...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 farmer x

i will be trying to buy a few heifer calves to rear for sucklers its the paper work end of things i havent a clue about...
    As my uncle was a small easy going farmer who loved the land and thought of his 15 or so cows as pets he never got into any schemes or never claimed sfp i have just no clue now what to apply for or even if i can apply for anything.as for the tax end of it aaarrrrrggggghhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

contact your local department of ag office/ or teasgac, could be Das on the land, as for SPS, who knows what arounds the corner-ie new scheme/rules etc.. so get claiming it on the system anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Defo get in touch with a local Agri advisor regards paperwork.

First starting point would be start making annual SPS applications. Most department schemes require that ya have your lands declared in SPS.

No real schemes open at the mo, hard to know what the story is with AEOS 3 which may or may not open in September but will prob be linked to having SAC land.

I would imagine that your uncle would have been keeping his herd register up to date anyways.

Advertisement