Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU upgrade

Options
  • 24-07-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out here.
    I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, but not too sure where to start. The last time I was building PC's, PCI slots were for Sound and Lan cards, AGP slots were graphics only.

So the essentials:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 (Rev. 1.0)
    http://www.gigabyte.ru/products/page/mb/ga-965gm-s2_10 (google translate solves the initial issue here)
    Current GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 256MB DDR3

Doing some research I see PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible, but I am not sure which version the motherboard comes with. Also some cards require additional power source, does this board support that? I'd rather have a card that is solely powered by the PCIe slot, as the inside of the machine is a cabling adventure for the brave only.

Does the PSU play much of a role?

I am hoping to add in a new card with HDMI + VGA/DVI outputs, that can play all but the most modern games on fancy enough settings (excluding other limitations of the CPU). I think my most recent game is Dead Space, so if it can run that on pretty-vomit-ick details I would be very happy/messy.

Now heres the fun part, can this be done for around €100?

Thanks for your help in advance, if more details are required let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

What is your PSU model? This card consumes very little power so it might not matter, but it's no harm checking anyway.

Also, what's your resolution? Dead Space isn't exactly a difficult game to run, but I can't imagine a 7750 doing great at 2560x1440 or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Thanks for the reply Eboggles.

The PSU is a Jeantech JNP-700-A12C.

For what it matters, its also running a Core2 1.86Ghz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB.

I can't remember the res the game runs at, it was more not being able to enable most of the nice filters etc. Mind you that may have something to do with the older Intel too. As I said, its been years since I've looked at hardware.

Advertisement