Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So.. I have paid 100 euro for property tax

• 24-07-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭

I have paid 100 euro for property tax. Now almost half a year later 500.000 households still didn't pay it. What is government doing to get these money? is there any justice, or am I just stupid and officials won't bother to collect rest of money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Probably the latter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    I have paid 100 euro for property tax. Now almost half a year later 500.000 households still didn't pay it. What is government doing to get these money? is there any justice, or am I just stupid and officials won't bother to collect rest of money?

Try asking here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056592766

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

We need three threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Op I didn't pay mine if that makes you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Enjoy paying 300-1000e every year to be allowed stay in your own house from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The Govt need money because of fu*k ups made by their fellow politicians and because of greedy and possibly illegal self serving crap by bankers. They want each of us to give them 100 so they tag a name onto it..."The Household Charge" but essentially its 'Give us 100 because we now need you to'. I built my own house on land belonging to my wife and the only service i get is a grassy road. Renters get much much more and dont have to pay squat.
    If the "House Hold" charge doesnt work perhaps a "People With Heads Charge' will replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I $itting here $urrounded by 10,000 1 cent coin$

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Well done op. now they have you forever. They will now tax you out of existence. I have not paid it nor will I ever.

I haven't even got one of those letters either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I know no one that will admit to paying it...

As my granddad said, If you aren't happy with a service/product would you pay for it? Apply the same to the country...

Being charged to live in your house. Not a fear of it. I will live in a tent if i have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

As my granddad said, If you aren't happy with a service/product would you pay for it?
    Apply the same to the country...

Being charged to live in your house. Not a fear of it. I will live in a tent if i have to

Didn't know big Phil had grand kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

As my granddad said, If you aren't happy with a service/product would you pay for it? Apply the same to the country...

Is your Granddad Phil Hogan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm in two mind what to do with my €100, on one hand i do want to help my country, on the other hand there's a very nice man for Nigeria that been emailing me a lot. I think both equally deserve the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Senna wrote: »
    I'm in two mind what to do with my €100, on one hand i do want to help my country, on the other hand there's a very nice man for Nigeria that been emailing me a lot. I think both equally deserve the money.

You're a good man Senna, always were and will be.
    Myself ... I drank and ate my 100 euro, brought herself out had a skinfull and got the finest takeaway known to man.

I have paid 100 euro for property tax. Now almost half a year later 800.000 households still didn't pay it. What is government doing to get these money? is there any justice, or am I just stupid and officials won't bother to collect rest of money?

FYP Marcin.

And even that figures a conservative one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I bought a kennel for my pets with 100 euro.

Enda kenny will probably come up with a kennel and pet house tax yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Pay €100 to have your name and address entered into a database of residential property, because that's what the initial charge is all about: setting up the structures for future council taxes. Watch out for a nasty shock down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

So the majority of posters here are in favour of breaking the law by not paying charge that was brought into law.:confused: I suppose if you felt you might get away with it you would try to avoid paying car tax, income tax ext

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe this thread will answer your question

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056710215

billyhead wrote: »
    So the majority of posters here are in favour of breaking the law by not paying charge that was brought into law.:confused: I suppose if you felt you might get away with it you would try to avoid paying car tax, income tax ext
    The council didn't pay for my electricity to be connected, they didn't pay for the sewerage, they didn't pay for the water.
    I built a house & paid for everything to do with it so I don't avail of any so called services.
    I generally don't go around paying for things I don't use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I built my own house on land belonging to my wife and the only service i get is a grassy road. Renters get much much more and dont have to pay squat.
    That's what happens when you build your house in the arse end of nowhere. If you want services build in a town.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's what happens when you build your house in the arse end of nowhere. If you want services build in a town.

Yea but im a country boy ;) and always will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

* I am giving you the finger *

Sellout.

Enda can come and collect my 100 euros in person so I can kick him in the balls when he comes to the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yea but im a country boy ;) and always will be
    So am I, but I live in a small town.

To be honest I think one off housing should be banned and there should be proper town limits on building houses. It's the only way to provide proper services to people at a reasonable cost. I know many won't like that but I do think it's the only way to go forward.

Sellout.

Enda can come and collect my 100 euros in person so I can kick him in the balls when he comes to the door
    Except you wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Sellout.

you'd have some job finding those..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

In fairness.... We did tell you not to pay it and honestly...when is the last time you listened to what phill hogan had to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Except you wouldn't.

Is this where we all start singing?

Noonan has only got one ball
    Gilmore has got two but small
    Etc......

squod wrote: »
    Except you wouldn't.

Is this where we all start singing?

Noonan has only got one ball
    Gilmore has got two but small
    Etc......
    Wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Wha?

That's the trouble with young people now.
    They're too young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sellout.

Except you wouldn't.

metaphorically my good woman metaphorically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

I have paid 100 euro for property tax. Now almost half a year later and nobody knows how many households still didn't pay it. What is government doing to get these money? is there any justice, or am I just stupid and officials won't bother to collect rest of money?

FYP.

Al would be so proud of me, it almost brings a tear.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I still haven't received the warning letter about non-payment. Were they actually sent out or is that all pie in the sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We still haven't heard anything about non-payment yet and neither have anyone else we know who didn't pay.

When the letter eventually does arrive it will be going straight in the bin.

staker wrote: »
    I still haven't received the warning letter about non-payment. Were they actually sent out or is that all pie in the sky?

Its pie in the sky. (like the excuses as to where the money will be going)

Btw, I met my second person who admitted to paying the HHC today.
    Had to avail of a breakdown service today, and the tow truck guy (a nice elder guy prob in his mid to late sixties) and me got talking about the charge.

He told me he paid it, he said he had to in order to get a tax clearance cert.

I told him I didn't think that was 100% accurate (for starters a charge its not a tax) he rubbished my advice though as 'Kildare county council told him that on the phone'. And he said a county council official wouldn't be allowed to lie.

I pray for our future.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Its pie in the sky. (like the excuses as to where the money will be going)

Btw, I met my second person who admitted to paying the HHC today.
    Had to avail of a breakdown service today, and the tow truck guy (a nice elder guy prob in his mid to late sixties) and me got talking about the charge.

He told me he paid it, he said he had to in order to get a tax clearance cert.

I told him I didn't think that was 100% accurate (for starters a charge its not a tax) he rubbished my advice though as 'Kildare county council told him that on the phone'. And he said a county council official wouldn't be allowed to lie.

I pray for our future.

Someone in Kildare county council is telling porky's.

That's what your €100 pays for, liars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

staker wrote: »

55c to post a letter but lets say there is a special "bulk post" rate for local authorities etc. 800,000 x 0.30c = €200,000. Dude.... we're broke!!!

Your reminder letter will be sent out by psychic mail soon, you will be compelled to go in and pay out of the goodness of your heart.

kr7 wrote: »

My sentiments exactly.

So, almost four whole months since the deadline passed I've met two people who've paid this charge.

I strongly suspect figures have been massaged.

Didn't Ghandee relate the story of the guy he met today to us last week?

Plazaman wrote: »
    55c to post a letter but lets say there is a special "bulk post" rate for local authorities etc. 800,000 x 0.30c = €200,000. Dude.... we're broke!!!

Your reminder letter will be sent out by psychic mail soon, you will be compelled to go in and pay out of the goodness of your heart.

They'll be able to E-mail all the suckers who've registered already for next year, should save a few quid:D

dvpower wrote: »

He said it was the second person he's met who paid it....

I know 4....

• Advertisement

I know 4....
    My deepest condolances to them.

No, the guy I 'related' to last week was the FIRST person.
    His reason being he was trying to sell the house.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79798881&postcount=5018

Good attempt DV.

More Hyperbole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

OP,

Have you paid the late payment fees yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dmmnnba

The local authorities are just waiting for the penalties to mount up to make it worthwhile pursuing those who haven't paid.
    Just as they are doing now with the NPPR.

My deepest condolances to them.

That's what I said..

dmmnnba wrote: »
    The local authorities are just waiting for the penalties to mount up to make it worthwhile pursuing those who haven't paid.
    Just as they are doing now with the NPPR.

Newsflash.

People who haven't paid, won't pay.
    This includes 'penalties'.

If they need money, they should start at the top (with their concurrent pension schemes, overinflated salaries, over generous expense entitlements) then work their way down.

They backed the wrong horse when they backed the property tax one.

800,000 can't be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

We still haven't heard anything about non-payment yet and neither have anyone else we know who didn't pay.

When the letter eventually does arrive it will be going straight in the bin.

Don't be too hasty. If it's printed on a nice soft parchment, I'll wipe my arse with it first. Waste not want not.

ScumLord wrote: »
    So am I, but I live in a small town.

To be honest I think one off housing should be banned and there should be proper town limits on building houses. It's the only way to provide proper services to people at a reasonable cost. I know many won't like that but I do think it's the only way to go forward.

I see where you are coming from but at the same time i do not want a city/town life. Simple as. If that means i dont get the same quality of services from the goverment well then fair enough (not that they give that much service anyway). That is part and parcle with country life. I cant stand citys. They are ugly, noisy and messy. The people are meaner (no offense intended), there is no fresh air. No trees. People dont say hello when you pass them on the road. I would proberly cost the tax-payer my weight in gold living in the city becouse of the depression i would likly develope. I sound like an advert so will shut up. :o
    But that is a debate not ment for household charge tread. oops

Back on topic

Not paying. How can they expect people to pay for living in there house when they are just going to shovel it all into the hole that they have made by giving the banks billions of euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You are in the majority, more than half of the target of €161 million has been collected. I read a week ago that 10,000 had paid following the first set of reminder letters being sent out. This would have generated and extra €140,000 in revenue because of the late payment penalty. The outstanding charge remains attached to the title of the property and will have to be discharged before the property can change hands so it will be collected eventually. Some people are saying that the charge will be abolished after the next election but for this to happen the law will have to be removed from statute books. I cannot see any combination of parties which will do that and deny themselves in government of an income stream which is the norm in all other developed countries.

So I think you did the right thing by not breaking the law and loading up penalties and legal difficulties for yourself or others in the future. There is evidence already that conveyancing solicitors are insisting that the charge is discharged in full (as they are legally obliged to do) before title can change hands. Every house will have to change hands eventually.

All of this was pointed out extensively in the other threads but maybe new people are reading this one and being misled by the "Dont Register, Dont Pay" campaign. It would be worthwhile for anyone concerned to read the actual legislation.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2011/7411/b7411s.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Raise income tax.

Very fair with regards to actual income.

No brainer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement