Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So.. I have paid 100 euro for property tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    I don't understand why I need to pay 160 euro for something I don't want to use.
    Because the whole idea is to PAY. Pay for a dog, for a house you've already bought, pay for TV you've already paid for and use for PS3 gaming only, for and all that sh****. Pay once is not enough today, pay taxes of the transaction is not enough - in today's world you have to pay at least twice to satisfy them greedy f****.

In fairness I can't see this going into any good direction, and I mean Europe/World in general. This entire taxation and governance system is completely missing the point and sooner or later has to collapse, let it be war, revolution - you name it. Otherwise in the next 30 years 90% of society will be slaves working for a slice of bread and a cup of water until they're allowed to die at the age of 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

when will people learn.....

Democracy doesnt work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Am Chile wrote: »
    with todays annoucement the revenue are set to collect it next year means it will more then likely be deducted at source-they still have find the other half of people who didn't register to be able to deduct at source for them also-they can go through esb bills but someones name on a esb bill won't prove ownership of a property, so how do they plan to get the names of those who never registered to able to deduct from their incomes ?

They have your PPSN, which you would have handed over to your solicitor when you purchased your home. Should be a lot easier for Revenue to manage it, than the f**k up that Hulk Hogan has achieved to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

i didnt pay it and i wont. Its your own doing that you got sucked into their scare tatics

they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands
    .... that, or just a simple attachment on your income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

They have your PPSN, which you would have handed over to your solicitor when you purchased your home. Should be a lot easier for Revenue to manage it, than the f**k up that Hulk Hogan has achieved to date.

Doesn't matter Brendan.

As I've said, I'll ignore any letter/correspondence from them too.
    They'll not be brazen enough to attempt to take from source, the unions will have a field day for starters, the black economy will go into over drive secondly.

Unfortunately for the TD's and top level PS workers, they will have to start cutting from the top instead of stealing from the bottom.

The HHC campaign has failed, the government themselves have as much as admitted so (didn't catch his name, but one govt economic correspondent on RTE news actually said it failed last night)

This will end very badly for govt if they attempt to pursue it any further IMO.

Now look at them trying to use bully tactics, sending out 3 warnings and then its hard time for us. I think they've finally seen the resolve of the objectors and are now trying to use force.
    Sending out some letters is bully tactics and force now?

dvpower wrote: »
    .... that, or just a simple attachment on your income.

That will be the fuel the ordinary worker needs to get his ass on the streets to protest.

Even a blind man can see that.

Btw, even suggesting the above would seem the pro taxers have conceded a failure?

Ghandee wrote: »
    That will be the fuel the ordinary worker needs to get his ass on the streets to protest.

Btw, even suggesting the above would seem the pro taxers have conceded a failure?
    The Revenue use this method routinely for a range of taxes.
    Nothing new or unusual about it.

We've been promised big protests by the 'ordinary worker' before and they've never materialised.

Sending out some letters is bully tactics and force now?

Dear home owner , (Mrs Griffin, widow, 85 years old)

It appears you may not have paid your HHC as of yet.
    This charge is necessary to ensure continuing vital services remain..

Failure to pay can result in............. (you get the drift)

Tactical bullying, cleverly worded to the vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bluecode wrote: »
    To answer the original question, they sent my wife a letter about her house in Dublin. Which she is now renting because she couldn't sell it. She could care less. If or when the property tax comes in, she won't be able to pay it. But we'll make sure the tenant forks up.

On the other hand they haven't caught up with us yet in our present house. We sleep well at night.

We sleep better from laughing ourselves to sleep at the fools who paid the charge, thus ensuring they will be the first to get caught for the full property tax when it comes into law.

Well done fools.:D
    Enjoy laughing yourself to sleep for as long as you can because in the not too distant future you will be crying yourself to sleep ;)

• Advertisement

The Revenue use this method routinely for a range of taxes.
    Nothing new or unusual about it.

We've been promised big protests by the 'ordinary worker' before and they've never materialised.

Why the delay in confirming this is what will happen?

Let the govt bring the fight to the ordinary people so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

billyhead wrote: »
    So the majority of posters here are in favour of breaking the law by not paying charge that was brought into law.:confused: I suppose if you felt you might get away with it you would try to avoid paying car tax, income tax ext

In the 30's in Germany a few things were passed into law. that doesn't make them right? That doesn't mean we should all be ****in sheep and do what we're told like silly little children just because it's law.

The OP paid his charge. More fool him. Not everybody will bend over and take it, just because the "law" says it's right, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

dave3004 wrote: »
    Democracy doesnt work :D
    What democracy man??? :D

The governments are elected by "everyone", which means - and also since the voting is anonymous - by no one really. There is no responsibility that can be attached to a person or a group. Majority (as in democracy) has NOTHING to say today. We are here to PAY.

I ask again - what democracy? :)

davyjose wrote: »
    In the 30's in Germany a few things were passed into law. that doesn't make them right? That doesn't mean we should all be ****in sheep and do what we're told like silly little children just because it's law.
    What? Those Nazi bastards brought in a property tax too???

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Enjoy laughing yourself to sleep for as long as you can because in the not too distant future you will be crying yourself to sleep ;)

Tut tut.

Sam encourages us to pay our taxes in this thread.

Yet encourages us to evade them in this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79735625&postcount=31

Sounds like a man wanting to ensure his agricultural grants continue to be funded by this charge.

Very hypocritical Sam. Very hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

What? Those Nazi bastards brought in a property tax too???

Jesus no. They weren't that bad ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I strongly suspect figures have been massaged.
    Ditto. When the subject has come up over the last few months very very few people I know/met seem to have paid. None of my friends have paid, of the people they in turn know you could count the number who have paid on the fingers of one hand that was involved in an industrial accident. I don't buy the 50% number at all.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    A few things in particular bug and bemuse me about the farce that is the household charge. All social housing has been exempted, regardless of whether they have people working in the particular house, so even if mammy daddy and 3 or 4 grown up kids all have jobs or other incomes they still dont have to pay.
    +1000. Farce sums the whole thing up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The Govt need money because of fu*k ups made by their fellow politicians and because of greedy and possibly illegal self serving crap by bankers. They want each of us to give them 100 so they tag a name onto it..."The Household Charge" but essentially its 'Give us 100 because we now need you to'. I built my own house on land belonging to my wife and the only service i get is a grassy road. Renters get much much more and dont have to pay squat.
    If the "House Hold" charge doesnt work perhaps a "People With Heads Charge' will replace it.

lol.
    I think you'll find it is squatters who don't have to pay squat......traditionally renters have to pay this stuff called....like you know.....rent:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

800,000 can't be wrong.

They're not - that's why they've paid their tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Let the govt bring the fight to the ordinary people so.

Remind me who "the ordinary people" are again.

Who is this a fight against?

The tax and late penalties roll along, more efficient collection process for next year, seems like the failure has been with the tax evaders.

Dear home owner , (Mrs Griffin, widow, 85 years old)

It appears you may not have paid your HHC as of yet.
    This charge is necessary to ensure continuing vital services remain..

Failure to pay can result in............. (you get the drift)

Tactical bullying, cleverly worded to the vulnerable.

Or a typical demand to pay owed taxes. Depends on your bias I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but if the government wanted to ensure payment, they should've just upped income tax.

Reduce the base tax credits of everyone by €100. Make an extra € 100 credit available to tenants on production of valid proof of tenancy. No big admin overhead (compared to what they're doing now) and no additional charge with bad PR attached.Tax credits get shuffled in the budget all the time.

Plus, they'd get a 'bonus' payment from anyone not bothered to claim the credit, inc those on dodgy tenancies.

They seem to really go out of their way to make things hard to implement at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Isn't a property tax pretty standard in most European countries? The implementation of this one is a bit dodgy so far because they rushed it through, but the government is planning on bringing in a more progressive/fair one eventually, so if they do will ye start paying, or just refuse on the basis that... you don't like paying tax?

Feathers wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been brought up before, but if the government wanted to ensure payment, they should've just upped income tax.

Reduce the base tax credits of everyone by €100. Make an extra € 100 credit available to tenants on production of valid proof of tenancy. No big admin overhead (compared to what they're doing now) and no additional charge with bad PR attached.Tax credits get shuffled in the budget all the time.

Plus, they'd get a 'bonus' payment from anyone not bothered to claim the credit, inc those on dodgy tenancies.

They seem to really go out of their way to make things hard to implement at times.

The property tax has the advantage of not being restricted to the PAYE sector. There are lots of well-off householders outside the PAYE net who can afford to pay this tax, and that helps reduce the impact on employment an equivalent income tax hike would have.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Isn't a property tax pretty standard in most European countries? The implementation of this one is a bit dodgy so far because they rushed it through, but the government is planning on bringing in a more progressive/fair one eventually, so if they do will ye start paying, or just refuse on the basis that... you don't like paying tax?

When you get down to it - it's the 'I don't like it' principle that most property tax evaders adhere to. What I find most ironic is those who say they won't pay until everyone else has - how's that ever going to happen with more than one person holding that position?

The fact that it standard in most European countries doens't make it right. I don't know there is something....feudal about taxing someone for their own home so I don't agree with it in principle (thankfully its not relevant to me however). Even as someone who doesn't own a home I think I'd rather see them increase income tax by a percent or two than invent new taxes like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Jesus I see all the old guns from the previous property tax thread have returned. :rolleyes:

Nothing better to be doing with your time? Why not go out and get a 2nd job and make the salary payable directly to NAMA, may as well save your beloved the administration costs while you at it.

The fact that it standard in most European countries doens't make it right.

It's something of a clue though, wouldn't you say?

alastair wrote: »

NO

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto. When the subject has come up over the last few months very very few people I know/met seem to have paid. None of my friends have paid, of the people they in turn know you could count the number who have paid on the fingers of one hand that was involved in an industrial accident. I don't buy the 50% number at all.

That doesn't sound terribly scientific.

NO

YES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If we were to follow other countries then lets do it properly and introduce a property tax, dramatically reduce VRT and motor tax, better healthcare and education, free childcare, cut public service salaries etc etc...

see where this is going?

smash wrote: »
    If we were to follow other countries then lets do it properly and introduce a property tax, dramatically reduce VRT and motor tax, better healthcare and education, free childcare, cut public service salaries etc etc...

see where this is going?

I do - we're not paying enough taxes to sustain the services we do have, and we've the choice of borrowing or closing the deficit through taxes and cuts. We're in no position to roll out additional services - and we're way behind the level of taxation applied in most european countries - to support those services.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

i didnt pay it and i wont. Its your own doing that you got sucked into their scare tatics

they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands

I just saw this job on Publicjobs.ie.

"Cold dead hand pryers required,

The candidate should have extensive experience in high pressure prying, be flexible and comfortable working in teams.

Own transport required, crowbars provided."

I do - we're not paying enough taxes to sustain the services we do have, and we've the choice of borrowing or closing the deficit through taxes and cuts. We're in no position to roll out additional services - and we're way behind the level of taxation applied in most european countries - to support those services.
    We do pay enough tax. But our cost of living is too high and the government don't know how to spend properly!

We do pay enough tax. But our cost of living is too high and the government don't know how to spend properly!

No - we don't pay enough tax. Compare taxation rates across europe and see where we rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The fact that it standard in most European countries doens't make it right. I don't know there is something....feudal about taxing someone for their own home so I don't agree with it in principle (thankfully its not relevant to me however). Even as someone who doesn't own a home I think I'd rather see them increase income tax by a percent or two than invent new taxes like this.
    They're trying to avoid "taxing work" any further so want to avoid increasing income tax.

We were previously getting loads of tax from stamp duty, but that only applies when people buy property, and the property market will never be the same again, so we need a more sustainable and reliable source of revenue, and this is a pretty widely used method.

I don't see anything inherently unjust or unfair about it, assuming the application is okay. We should be encouraging more stable revenue sources like this if we're to set the country back on the right path, rather than relying on precarious bubbles like we used to.

No - we don't pay enough tax. Compare taxation rates across europe and see where we rank.
    Compare anything across Europe and see where we rank!

Stop comparing us to the rest of Europe, we are our own country ffs.

Compare anything across Europe and see where we rank!

Stop comparing us to the rest of Europe, we are our own country ffs.

The fact that other countries require higher levels of taxation to remain sustainable has no relevance to our, presumably unique, economy? We must be very special indeed.

• Advertisement

They're trying to avoid "taxing work" any further so want to avoid increasing income tax.

We were previously getting loads of tax from stamp duty, but that only applies when people buy property, and the property market will never be the same again, so we need a more sustainable and reliable source of revenue, and this is a pretty widely used method.

I don't see anything inherently unjust or unfair about it, assuming the application is okay. We should be encouraging more stable revenue sources like this if we're to set the country back on the right path, rather than relying on precarious bubbles like we used to.

Taxing only a specific subgroup of the population. Sure that's not unfair:rolleyes:

Again speaking as someone who doesn't own property.

Taxing only a specific subgroup of the population. Sure that's not unfair:rolleyes:

Again speaking as someone who doesn't own property.

You drive a car?

The fact that other countries require higher levels of taxation to remain sustainable has no relevance to our, presumably unique, economy? We must be very special indeed.

Other countries have a larger population, lower public service wages, better infrastructures and get what they pay for. We have a small population, over inflated public service wages, crap infrastructure and rarely get what we pay for!

Other countries have a larger population, lower public service wages, better infrastructures and get what they pay for. We have a small population, over inflated public service wages, crap infrastructure and rarely get what we pay for!

Let's take Denmark then - roughly comparable population, far bigger public sector overhead - how do our taxes compare to them? Are they in deficit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Let's take Denmark then - roughly comparable population, far bigger public sector overhead - how do our taxes compare to them? Are they in deficit?
    Going by this, their income tax seems in or around the same levels http://www.taxindenmark.com/article.69.html
    Aquila wrote: »
    What do other countries in Europe such as Norway who have a similar population size do to pay for such services?
    Don't they have large state owned gas and oil fields?

Aquila wrote: »
    What do other countries in Europe such as Norway who have a similar population size do to pay for such services?

Ireland total taxation as % of GDP: 31.1%
    Denmark total taxation as % of GDP: 48.8%
    Ireland total taxation as % of GDP: 40.3%
    Ireland total taxation as % of GDP: 37.4%

(OECD figures)

Going by this, their income tax seems in or around the same levels http://www.taxindenmark.com/article.69.html

Don't they have large state owned gas and oil fields?

Income tax levels:

Denmark 36.57–55.4 %
    Ireland 0% - 41%

Income tax levels:

Denmark 36.57–55.4 %
    Ireland 0% - 41%
    Ireland, up to 55%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe

• Advertisement