Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So.. I have paid 100 euro for property tax

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*ASIDE*
    Dave! wrote: »
    We were previously getting loads of tax from stamp duty, but that only applies when people buy property, and the property market will never be the same again,
    Ohh I wouldn't be too sure about that D. I'll go on record here and make a prediction that in I reckon 15 to 20 years time we're going to have another property price spike, indeed I'd go so far as to say we'll even see an over inflation in the market. People have short memories and there's a new demographic wave coming along that will need housing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Wibbs wrote: »
    *ASIDE*Ohh I wouldn't be too sure about that D. I'll go on record here and make a prediction that in I reckon 15 to 20 years time we're going to have another property price spike, indeed I'd go so far as to say we'll even see an over inflation in the market. People have short memories and there's a new demographic wave coming along that will need housing.

Would you advocate continuing propping up tax revenues on stamp duty in that hope? I know I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

alastair wrote: »
    That's not income tax.
    Maximum income take rate:

55% (41% Pay As You Earn (PAYE) Tax, 4% Pay-Related Social Insurance (PRSI) and 10% Universal Social Charge (USC))

I thought that was pretty clear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wibbs wrote: »
    *ASIDE*Ohh I wouldn't be too sure about that D. I'll go on record here and make a prediction that in I reckon 15 to 20 years time we're going to have another property price spike, indeed I'd go so far as to say we'll even see an over inflation in the market. People have short memories and there's a new demographic wave coming along that will need housing.

Fair enough, I'll bookmark this post and come back to ya in 20 years' time :p

I'm sure we'll see house prices go up and down, but I couldn't see it getting to the same level again.

Regardless, we can't rely on stamp duty as a sustainable source of revenue anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'm sorry but since when did the Irish become such bitches? Kenny and Noonan do everything that is asked of them, waiting for the troika to give them a pat on the head. And the ridiculously over taxed population is asked to pay yet another ludicrous charge and people who dont pay it are admonished by the people who did because the politicians say they will have to pick up the tab for those who didn't. The Greeks rioted and yet we take everything and anything that is thrown at us.

If you are happy to pay the charge, then do, you choose to register and quite frankly it is nothing to you whether anyone else did or not, regardless of what they say in Dublin. You can't volunteer and then feel hard done by because others didn't, you had the chance to say **** em' this is a step too far and you choose not to.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    I thought that was pretty clear?

It is - but it's not income tax. The same bundled figure for Denmark is 54%, and then there's higher levels of VAT etc. We're paying a lot less tax than the Danes.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    You can't volunteer and then feel hard done by because others didn't.

No-one has the option to 'volunteer' - you'll be be paying yourself if you're liable - the only question is what overhead you pay for delaying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

It is - but it's not income tax. The same bundled figure for Denmark is 54%, and then there's higher levels of VAT etc. We're paying a lot less tax than the Danes.

could the danes have more personal allowances for that extra 1%? i cant find figures. could they have a lower cost of living? 1 % lower tax doesnt make life any easier when your loaf of bread costs twice as much

Apart from income tax (which is more or less the same), they get a lot more for in return for their extra taxes. We don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

No-one has the option to 'volunteer' - you'll be be paying yourself if you're liable - the only question is what overhead you pay for delaying.

I won't be paying for anything because I don't own a house, still wouldn't even if I did. And by registering oneself then I would consider that volunteering.

• Advertisement

Apart from income tax (which is more or less the same), they get a lot more for in return for their extra taxes. We don't.

Their income tax is higher. Their cost of living is higher. Their overall taxation overhead is higher. They do get a lot more services for their additional taxation.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I won't be paying for anything because I don't own a house, still wouldn't even if I did. And by registering oneself then I would consider that volunteering.

You might consider it so, but its not a voluntary tax.

They do get a lot more services for their additional taxation.

That's my point. We don't, never have and wont in the future either.

Not at the lower taxes we pay - no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

We have a massive deficit at the moment, so we need to cut expenditure and increase revenue. We have to do both. Without doing so, how do you propose we get the services you so desire? Or are you just throwing your hands in the air and saying "we've never gotten better services and never will, so let's just keep borrowing to maintain this massive deficit"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Not at the present taxes either.

Give them more and you just become an "enabler".

mikom wrote: »
    Not at the present lower taxes either.

Give them more and you just become an "enabler".

Fixed that for you there.

Sorry, but it's not all about higher taxes, it's about sorting out the underlying issues with government spending and wastage.

Sorry, but it's not all about higher taxes, it's about sorting out the underlying issues with government spending and wastage.

Even with Danish style levels of efficiency, we'd never get the quality of services they have without increasing our taxes. It's about the higher taxes.

alastair, if your wife had an expensive shoe and handbag addiction, that was costing you a small fortune, would you give her extra money at the end of the week or would you tell her start shopping in Dunnes stores?

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    alastair, if your wife had an expensive shoe and handbag addiction, that was costing you a small fortune, would you give her extra money at the end of the week or would you tell her start shopping in Dunnes stores?

That presupposes the state has something that equates to a handbag addiction - which I don't buy. Whatever problems we do have - they're not going to be solved by keeping our existing taxation model.

Even with Danish style levels of efficiency, we'd never get the quality of services they have without increasing our taxes. It's about the higher taxes.
    Yes we would if people got off their asses! Before Motor tax we had road tax which paid for the roads, and even back then you'd see 1 guy filling a 1 meter hole while 6 others watch him. There's wastage all over the country.

Yes we would if people got off their asses! Before Motor tax we had road tax which paid for the roads, and even back then you'd see 1 guy filling a 1 meter hole while 6 others watch him. There's wastage all over the country.

You're saying the Danes need to get off their asses too? They're needlessly paying extra taxation without benefit?

That presupposes the state has something that equates to a handbag addiction - which I don't buy. Whatever problems we do have - they're not going to be solved by keeping our existing taxation model.

theres no government waste you say?

You're saying the Danes need to get off their asses too? They're needlessly paying extra taxation without benefit?
    oh god :rolleyes:

Yeah - that's exactly it. :rolleyes:
    Why not engage with the point I do make?

oh god :rolleyes:

Me:

You:
    Yes we would if people got off their asses!

I don't think we ever had a road tax btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You would be better off spending the 100 euros at your local shop or business. At least that way it won't be wasted.

Yeah - that's exactly it. :rolleyes:
    Why not engage with the point I do make?

why not answer my original question?

is a 70 million spend on the European presidency waste duriing a time of recession?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If your fuel tank is pissin' out petrol from a hole in the bottom then topping it up won't help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I should never bought a house years ago, Because of property tax is €1,000, that means I am paying €20 a week in equivalent to a council council householders who never bought the house at the first place.

why not answer my original question?
    I did.
    is a 70 million spend on the European presidency waste duriing a time of recession?
    Well - it' a responsibility we can't really avoid, and I've no idea what the costs involved are - so can't comment if there's any waste involved. Are you aware of any waste in that overhead?

I don't think we ever had a road tax btw.
    We did! Do some research.

mikom wrote: »
    If your fuel tank is pissin' out petrol from a hole in the bottom then topping it up won't help much.

I think you'll find efficient running your car involves a fairly steady stream of fuel as well. Topping it up comes with the territory.

We did! Do some research.

Care to link to any evidence of same?

• Advertisement

I did.

Well - it' a responsibility we can't really avoid, and I've no idea what the costs involved are - so can't comment if there's any waste involved. Are you aware of any waste in that overhead?

70 million? cmon Alstair thats nearly the full take realised from the HHC. for what? so enda can be seen on the international stage getting his hair ruffled by merkel.

(Also, im aware there is a tender out for 10000 silk ties and 10000 silk scarves, that is waste)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

+1.
    I've seen Al's post in several other threads on boards (and each time he advocates mroe and more taxation of the general population). Not once has he come down on the side of cuts/efficiencies that need to be made to ensure proper spending of tax revenues. He made the point earlier that not everybody that owns property pays PAYE, fair enough, I'd go along with that. But by the same token not everybody that has a medical card, or receives free public transport, tv licences,electricity credits, children allowence payments etc are on low/no pay either. I'm pretty sure there are massive savings that could be made by ending universal entitlements that are paid out year on year. Instead though, we look at taxation to keep the machine fed.

phil1nj wrote: »
    But by the same token not everybody that has a medical card, or receives free public transport, tv licences,electricity credits, children allowence payments etc are on low/no pay either.

That would be an abuse of the system then - not a problem of the system itself.

its not Alastair, you can be a rich old person and get all those, or a multimillionaire with children and get childrens allowance. all legal, all bad legislation wasting more of our tax money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

You drive a car?

Yeah I sure do.

But a car isn't critical to my basic survival. A place to live is.

• Advertisement

Not really, it could just be a fault of the system. Not to pick on pensioners or anything but look at the debacle several years ago when the government wanted to end the right to a medical card for all over 70's ( a cheap vote gathering stunt that FF pulled). The amount of uproar that came from "the grey vote" frightened the govewrnment in to a u-turn. You mean to tell me that every single member of the over 70's population in Ireland (retired politicians, barristers, judges, doctors etc) could not afford to look after their medical needs if push came to shove once they hit 70? The answer is yes they could but they were entitled to a medical card. No abuse of the system, just a failing of the system.

That is my point.

70 million? cmon Alstair thats nearly the full take realised from the HHC. for what? so enda can be seen on the international stage getting his hair ruffled by merkel.

(Also, im aware there is a tender out for 10000 silk ties and 10000 silk scarves, that is waste)

From a cursory glance - it seems typical - Those efficient Danes appear to have tried to do a yellowpack arrangement and hoped to spend €35 million. The two previous presidencies were Poland at €115 million, and Hungary at €70-€75 million. Isn't Enda looking for corporate sponsors for some of the costs too?

Not really, it could just be a fault of the system. Not to pick on pensioners or anything but look at the debacle several years ago when the government wanted to end the right to a medical card for all over 70's ( a cheap vote gathering stunt that FF pulled). The amount of uproar that came from "the grey vote" frightened the govewrnment in to a u-turn. You mean to tell me that every single member of the over 70's population in Ireland (retired politicians, barristers, judges, doctors etc) could not afford to look after their medical needs if push came to shove once they hit 70? The answer is yes they could but they were entitled to a medical card. No abuse of the system, just a failing of the system.

That is my point.

Point taken - but the solution still requires rebuilding our tax system to a sustainable level. Rich pensioners medical cards and unrequired child allowance aren't going to shift the balance.

Yeah I sure do.

But a car isn't critical to my basic survival. A place to live is.

A place to own isn't though. And you pay your motor tax - which isn't applicable to all.

Point taken - but the solution still requires rebuilding our tax system to a sustainable level. Rich pensioners medical cards and unrequired child allowance aren't going to shift the balance.

I agree they are not , but they will certainly aid. IMHO there has to be balance in any system. Placing nothing but increased taxes on an already squeezed middle income earning working population will be conuterproductive in the long run. Eliminating government waste, inefficienies, tempering public expenditure on pensions/pay/benefits/allowences will help along with a broadening of the tax base. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Care to link to any evidence of same?

What do you guys mean by 'Road Tax'? surely what we have at the moment is a road tax...

*apologies for the off topic question but I was genuinely confused

I agree they are not , but they will certainly aid. IMHO there has to be balance in any system. Placing nothing but increased taxes on an already squeezed middle income earning working population will be conuterproductive in the long run. Eliminating government waste, inefficienies, tempering public expenditure on pensions/pay/benefits/allowences will help along with a broadening of the tax base. That is all.

Maybe you hadn't noticed but there is a balance to dealing with the deficit. You'd think that we hadn't had any change in expenditure. This tax won't be the last introduced, and we haven't seen the last of cuts either.

AEDIC wrote: »
    What do you guys mean by 'Road Tax'? surely what we have at the moment is a road tax...

*apologies for the off topic question but I was genuinely confused

We don't have a road tax - we've a motor tax - which goes into general taxation revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

We don't have a road tax - we've a motor tax - which goes into general taxation revenues.

Dont see the difference. What the tax money is used for is irrelevant to the reason for collecting it. That decision is down to the Govt (rightly or wrongly)

According to these guys a 'road tax' is exactly what we have

http://www.vrt.ie/roadtax.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Along with income tax, vat, vrt, and usc, various levies, service charges and now a grand a year on top all earmarked for the same pot?

This is getting ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement