Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So.. I have paid 100 euro for property tax

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Well then let's cut the waste first, then find out what the*actual* deficit is & start plugging it.

There's no incentive to cut the waste if we throw money at it first. It has to be done the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dvpower wrote: »

You have a cartoonish view of people who are on the dole that isn't shared by the vast bulk of people who are on the dole.

Ghandee pointed out those who play the system,we all know someone who does.A couple of pubs down my way have their busiest days on Mondays & Tuesdays,correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those days that are usually classed as workdays? They are also regulars in the bookies around the corner.Not a cartoon but real life in Ireland,maybe you don't get out much to see this.

Neighbour of mine paid the €100 & now regrets it,he only did it 'cos his elderly parent was scared of what might happen if she didn't pay up,so he ended up paying both of their charges online.He feels a bit foolish now when he found out that nobody else he knows has paid it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So has anyone got one of these...Pay up or else".... letters yet from "Big Phil"????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

paddy147 wrote: »
    So has anyone got one of these...Pay up or else".... letters yet from "Big Phil"????

No I havn't ...but mebby that's because I paid the household charge !

Country is in a shocking state....fcuck all use blaming everybody else...pay up you cheapskate scroungers and share the load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

If people aren't going to pay the household tax then how can they moan about the economy been in the gutter? How is it going to improve if people refuse to help? Instead people seem happy to sit back, watch the economy get worse and worse, while they just put up the feet and point the finger?

I'm only 21, I may be talking through my a*s, but I think it's a fair point, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    If people aren't going to pay the household tax then how can they moan about the economy been in the gutter? How is it going to improve if people refuse to help? Instead people seem happy to sit back, watch the economy get worse and worse, while they just put up the feet and point the finger?

I'm only 21, I may be talking through my a*s, but I think it's a fair point, no?

I don't feel responsible for the economy being in the gutter so why should I give money towards this government? There are public servants taking the absolute piss pay wise in this country - exorbitant amounts of money, some people in the public sector are on half a million a year and whinging and moaning because they can't buy a second holiday home in the south of France - these people who live of the private sector like leeches draining you dry.

Economically, this property tax/household charge/whatever you want to call it is nonsense. It's nothing about helping out the country - the country cannot be saved at this point. We will go down, the only question is when? We've already passed the point of no return - I hope you have plenty of precious metals saved away.

Maybe politicians should lead by example.

Oh wait,they dont,

Big Phil avoids his own "Villa Tax" in Portugal.

He then blows a wad of tax payers cash on a fancy Brazilian Holiday.

Enda Kenny buys in 10,000 silk ties with tax payers money...to celebrate things.

He then very recently gives all FG advisors a 3k salary increase too.

Yep its a tough life for a politician...buy everyone else has to hand over their money for them to have their nice "perks"

......"charity begins at home".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

K3lso wrote: »
    I don't feel responsible for the economy being in the gutter so why should I give money towards this government?

Economically, this property tax/household charge/whatever you want to call it is nonsense. It's nothing about helping out the country - the country cannot be saved at this point.

I know it's not our fault and it sucks that we all have to suffer as a result of all these greedy a*seholes I read about in the papers every day. But what happened happened, we can sulk or we can do something about it?

It is annoying when you see the amount Rte forks out on the green room and the wages the likes of Miriam o'callaghan and Pat Kenny are on, then you hear Enda Kenny wants to invite Kate Middleton and Will over which will cost the state another fortune, all of that puzzles me considering we are trying to save.

It sucks the way things have gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Think it was mostly people who paid the NPPR, for their second homes and hadn't paid the 100 euro charge, who received letters. Probably because they were on the various council's databases already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

K3lso wrote: »
    I don't feel responsible for the economy being in the gutter so why should I give money towards this government? There are public servants taking the absolute piss pay wise in this country - exorbitant amounts of money, some people in the public sector are on half a million a year and whinging and moaning because they can't buy a second holiday home in the south of France - these people who live of the private sector like leeches draining you dry.

Economically, this property tax/household charge/whatever you want to call it is nonsense. It's nothing about helping out the country - the country cannot be saved at this point. We will go down, the only question is when? We've already passed the point of no return - I hope you have plenty of precious metals saved away.

You're living in one of the most affluent countries in the world at the most affluent time in history. If you're waiting for everything to be perfect before you pay your taxes that is only an excuse.

If things ever get as bad as you seem to think they are now a pocketful of gold coins will be of no use, the only things of value will be food and medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

You're living in one of the most affluent countries in the world at the most affluent time in history. If you're waiting for everything to be perfect before you pay your taxes that is only an excuse.

If things ever get as bad as you seem to think they are now a pocketful of gold coins will be of no use, the only things of value will be food and medicine.

It's all about timing.

I'm not talking about a zombie apocalypse. I'm talking about how you can make a lot of wealth in times like this if you're intelligent. Those in the know have long insulated themselves from any impending problems the country, the EU or the western world is likely to face in the coming months and years.

It's inevitable, not scaremongering. Closing eyes and hoping it all goes away won't make everything alright. If you have a sizeable amount of money, you need to be making contingency plans now on how best to preserve that wealth when the sh!t hits the fan. To that end, you'd want to be looking into something financially stable and something nobody can devalue at the touch of a button so Euros are out the window....

My advice would be to get some gold and silver. Try and carry as little Euro fiat as possible. That's all I'll say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

paddy147 wrote: »
    Maybe politicians should lead by example.

He then very recently gives all FG advisors a 3k salary increase too.

Yep its a tough life for a politician...buy everyone else has to hand over their money for them to have their nice "perks"

How did I miss this? I mean the 3k salary increase. Tell me more.

+1 for leading by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Cheeky_gal wrote: »

Ireland has many problems - a large debt and a large deficit too. A deficit of, what is it now? 15Billion.

1 Billion is a million million.

Just how is the government going to bridge that 15Billion?
    Proposals for a property tax and water charges just won't won't make it.

What's needed IMO is complete reform of many different areas in conjunction but reform isn't happening or it's mickey mouse changes like the internship scheme where it's abused by some by offering internships as a shelf stacker or a floor sweeper or goodness knows what ie jobs, no matter how small being taken away from the economy.

That's only Irelands problems but it's not half of it.

Recessions happen in cycles. Back in our 1980s recession, other countries were in a healthy shape. Now there are many countries, their currencies and their economy fcuked with large debts and deficits. The USA is fcuked. UK is fcuked. Europe and the euro is fcuked. Speculation that china is. Australia on the way into a recession. With so many countries in recession, what governments are not saying is that this is a depression. Last depression was back in 1930s. I suppose governments are hoping for the best and hoping that we'll pull through. But they'll be pinching from their citizens until many will have nothing more to give/for them to take which is a roundabout effect because it will cause further unemployment. Something, somewhere is going to give at some stage and the whole house of cards is going to collapse at some stage. But when that happens many people will have nothing left. They won't even own the shoes on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ilovesleep wrote: »

1 Billion is a million million.

Incorrect, they all go up in thousands.

1m = 1000 * 1000
    1bn = 1000 * 1m
    1trn = 1000 * 1bn,

etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Ireland has many problems - a large debt and a large deficit too. A deficit of, what is it now? 15Billion.

Public Gen Govt debt was about 170bn at end-2011.

The 2012 deficit will be about 13bn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Geuze wrote: »

1m = 1000 * 1000
    1bn = 1000 * 1m
    1trn = 1000 * 1bn,

etc.

Well if I remember rightly, both are correct, at least until lately.

There was a Horizon episode on a while back about the biggest number and one of the interviewees was telling a story about the number billion and I think he explained the difference as being it depended on which side of the Atlantic you were. Episode name is "To Infinity And Beyond"

It was explained to me growing up as being 1,000,000,000,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Well if I remember rightly, both are correct, at least until lately.
    ilovesleep was referring to Ireland's deficit figure, so it does really matter what measure you're using - and hers is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There was me thinking he lived here !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    I have paid 100 euro for property tax.

Ah no OP, you paid €100 to register for property tax.

I paid it myself, :o but have absolutely nothing against those who didn't pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Geuze wrote: »

1m = 1000 * 1000
    1bn = 1000 * 1m
    1trn = 1000 * 1bn,

etc.

Yeh a trillion is a million million.

Or... is it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yeh a trillion is a million million.

Or... is it...

Here is something with lots of pretty numbers to help you decide.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

dvpower wrote: »
    ilovesleep was referring to Ireland's deficit figure, so it does really matter what measure you're using - and hers is incorrect.

Well I was not referring to the deficit figure.

I was only giving information on the figure of 1 billion -the number its self. and where i got it, and where everybody else can get the same information.

Just so everybody is on the same page.

Actually while we are on the subject, Wikipedia has a good page on the differences the Link is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_scale.

Maybe then some one can tell us which scale the government is using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Maybe then some one can tell us which scale the government is using.

The only scales you'll find in government are on yokes that crawl around on the ground on their bellies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

the 160million the govt hoped to take in with this so called tax, offset by the 170million reduction in LA funds (given to bondholders) is too close to call IMO

DONT REGISTER, DONT PAY

Advertisement