Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Order Offence?

• 24-07-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭

I got three public order offences against me,I am truely shoock about this and cant belive its happening.

What happened was I was out on a stag and at the end of the night,I ended up arguing with a guard as one of the people in my party was cut up by glass by another person and I was mad the main man wasnt arrested.
    He did instruct me to move on or I be arrested and he was right,I was pretty angry while I was talking to him.I got peppered sprayed and arrested then put in cell,let go shortly after and handed 3 charges and a summons.

3 charges are
    Section 19 of the criminal Justice Act
    Section 6 of the criminal Justice Act
    Section 4 of the criminal Justice Act.

I ve got a solicitor,she is getting the court date adorned,as she wants to get cctv and statements and figure it out from there.
    I apologised to the guard.

I have never a conviction before and never in trouble with the guards.

Anyone with any experience with this,freaking out now as if I get convicted I lose my job.
    Any one been through this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's doubtful you will get a conviction. Assuming you are honest and unless your solicitor is terrible you should be able to avail of an adult caution or at the most receive the probation act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

thanks alot,sort of rests my mind a bit,it was just really a bad decision on my part and am full of shame.I wasnt actually fighting with the guard just arguing and was angry and wouldnt move when he told me :(

Thanks again

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What sort of job would fire you for public order convictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I would assume various security companies would take a dim view for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

MagicSean wrote: »
    It's doubtful you will get a conviction. Assuming you are honest and unless your solicitor is terrible you should be able to avail of an adult caution or at the most receive the probation act.

Quite the assumption! Being realistic, if he gets one of the judges that never apply the probation act then what? With 3 charges I would have thought a fine is a distinct possibility and therefore, a conviction.

No previous is a plus but IMO, saying the Probation Act is a shoe in is a bit strong.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

OP - Rely on nothing stated above re. Not getting a conviction.

Seek professional legal advice.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tom Young wrote: »
    OP - Rely on nothing stated above re. Not getting a conviction.

Seek professional legal advice.

Tom

Two replies to that...

1. The OP has already stated that he has engaged a solicitor

2. MagicSean is a member of AGS so has experience in the area and his advice is worth something to the OP in terms of setting out realistic expectations.

There's a charter here for a reason.

I'm not personalising/user associating my Mod remarks.

Point 3. There are a lot of new District Court Judges;

Point 4. We don't know the entirety of the evidence, factual basis for the charges;

Point 5. There is a charter. Don't breach it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As in if you wanna work security you have to have a section 2 assault or upwards before they'll even consider you?

Okay got me there :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

No. They don't mind. On the application forms - I have seen these - they have a big box for listing your convictions.

Yea secuirty i work in,the solicitor said the judge in question is not a big fan of the probation act,so i guess thats why shes getting it adjourned.
    A no conviction is a must.

Yea secuirty i work in,the solicitor said the judge in question is not a big fan of the probation act,so i guess thats why shes getting it adjourned.

Then you can afford a good solicitor. Be prepared to pay out in terms of a fine.

Tom Young wrote: »

Then you can afford a good solicitor. Be prepared to pay out in terms of a fine.
    Yea im prepared to pay, id be happy now with just the solictor fees and the fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

MagicSean wrote: »

Have you ever dealt with Public Order charges in Galway District Court?

Yea im prepared to pay, id be happy now with just the solictor fees and the fine.

OP a court fine is a conviction, be aware of that.

NoQuarter wrote: »

OP a court fine is a conviction, be aware of that.
    I thought there was a way to get a fine without the conviction.

I could be wrong but I think you are thinking of when they get you to make a donation.

I could be wrong but I think you are thinking of when they get you to make a donation.

Damn it. Adult caution is my only hope so. Would the judge take into consideration ill lose my job if i get convicted?

Between knowing dangerously less than nothing and the charter - I'm pretty sure thats one for your solicitor I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Between knowing dangerously less than nothing and the charter - I'm pretty sure thats one for your solicitor I'm afraid.
    Fair enough.
    Im back to freaking out again.

Having no privious convictions must stand for something?

Oh my lord.

OP your lawyers are the only ones who can sort this for you, not random strangers on the internet who may or may not be lawyers or even have a clue about the law.

The ways to avoid conviction are a "poor box" donation, an adult caution or any fine by the Guards not dealt with by the Courts or the benefit of the Probation Act. Thats not advice, its just stndard criminal procedure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement