Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2013 thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Good luck today MM! Hope you leave your apt feeling reassured whatever position baba is in :)

Girls had breastfeeding class today, really glad I went. Have no idea how it will work out but it certainly gave me an insight! I actually got pretty excited at all the skin to skin talk etc it just sounds so lovely and warm :)

Annnnyway! Midwife recommended Dr Jack Newman, if you google him his website comes up. He's well known in the breastfeeding field through his research and his website has lots of video clips you can watch if you fancy :) also if you google laid back breastfeeding and look at the videos, amazing the instinct to feed babies have, gave me warm fuzzy feelings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Digs Dr Jack Newman is tge messiah of breastfeeding! He's so knowledgable on all things breastfeeding. You can even email him with a query and he'll reply to you asap.

Kellymom is another great resource.

Skin to skin is THE big thing to do after birth. It can help regulate your baby's breathing, body temperature and blood sugars as well as regulate your own temperature. Forget the plastic box and keep your baby in bed with you under your nightie.

In a lot of hospitals in the developing world where infant mortality is quite high doctors now recommend kangaroo care over incubators as constant skin to skin with their mothers is much more effective at regulating their temperatures etc.

Oh that's good to know that he's open to contact! I hadn't heard of him before today, so much to learn. I am reading the womanly art of breastfeeding too but good to have a few different perspectives! I suppose no amount of preparation can prepare you for the real thing..

Love the idea of skin to skin, seems like the most natural thing in the world. The midwife today actually gave the example of the gorilla who gave birth a year or two ago in Dublin zoo, they couldn't even tell the sex of the baby for a few weeks as she wouldn't let him off her chest! It's all about instinct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Digs wrote: »
    Oh that's good to know that he's open to contact! I hadn't heard of him before today, so much to learn. I am reading the womanly art of breastfeeding too but good to have a few different perspectives! I suppose no amount of preparation can prepare you for the real thing..

Love the idea of skin to skin, seems like the most natural thing in the world. The midwife today actually gave the example of the gorilla who gave birth a year or two ago in Dublin zoo, they couldn't even tell the sex of the baby for a few weeks as she wouldn't let him off her chest! It's all about instinct :)

I did skin to skin first thing in the morn when we were still in hospital last week. We'd both be do toasty. My son would just fall asleep from the heat. It was by far the nicest time of the day for me.

As for breastfeeding, no amount of pre-reading prepared me for the actual process. If hurt like hell until my son got thd latch correct but after that it was instinct on both our parts. So far do good, I haven't had chapped or bleeding nipples at all. I would definitely recommend the multi mam compresses for the first few days. They give quick relief when your nipples are sore.

Edit to say: because of breastfeeding I am already almost back to me pre-pregnancy weight and I only gave birth 10 days ago. This is a massive bonus for Nd because I ate like a demon when I was pregnant and put on alot of weight. Definitely an added bonus to breastfeeding!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

yellow hen wrote: »

I did skin to skin first thing in the morn when we were still in hospital last week. We'd both be do toasty. My son would just fall asleep from the heat. It was by far the nicest time of the day for me.

As for breastfeeding, no amount of pre-reading prepared me for the actual process. If hurt like hell until my son got thd latch correct but after that it was instinct on both our parts. So far do good, I haven't had chapped or bleeding nipples at all. I would definitely recommend the multi mam compresses for the first few days. They give quick relief when your nipples are sore.

Edit to say: because of breastfeeding I am already almost back to me pre-pregnancy weight and I only gave birth 10 days ago. This is a massive bonus for Nd because I ate like a demon when I was pregnant and put on alot of weight. Definitely an added bonus to breastfeeding!!

Sorry to jump in, I'm due in May and really hope to bf my twins. Did a nurse or lactation consultatant help you with getting the latch right?

YH that is just great to hear and thanks for the info, delighted you and the little man are doing so well, he sounds like a guzzler!

The midwife said getting the latch right can be tricky but v important, she also said there will always be someone about to help you and don't be afraid to ask, am hoping to stay in hosp for as long as possible for this reason!

Love that the weight loss is going so well too. Tbh after my weigh in at my last apt I am getting a bit worried about it, hope breastfeeding has the same effect on me!
    Hasn't stopped me knocking back the doughnuts though :(

Last day of work..... WOOT!!!

Congrats Digs, I've 2 weeks left :(

The trick to the latch is probably doing laid back breastfeeding as much as possible until the baby learns how to latch properly itself. The main thing is to get help immediately if the latch is sore or uncomfortable. Pain or soreness is not normal.

Blueskye a friend of mine breastfed twins so it's very doable. I'd advise you find to get in touch with your local la Leche league or Cuidiu group now before the birth and create a good network around you for support and advise when the babies arrive. Of course it's going to be a tough start but feeding twins, no matter what way you do it, will be tough. Support is absolutely essential.

Oh and btw no woman's nipples are unsuitable for breastfeeding. Sometimes you'll be told by a well intentioned midwife that they're too big, small, flat, inverted, sticky out. There's always a solution so if you're told this ask someone else. That's why the la Leche league or Cuidiu are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Great advice ladies. I'm going to my bfeeding workshop this evening so really looking forward to it.

Digs, I'm also reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding ha.

Well done Yellow Hen, you are my inspiration now :). I really want the bfeeding to work out so advice about getting help at the very start if needed is brilliant,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

Good luck today MM! Hope you leave your apt feeling reassured whatever position baba is in :)

thanks Digs,yesterday was a bit of a rollercoaster,but the main big news is baby is head down and low,who would have though,I had a scan and there she was rightly tucked down,such a good little girl,keeping mommy on her toes already though:)I am so thrilled and feel a weight has been lifted from me,so we are back to the old fashioned waiting game,3 weeks to due date:)

My blood pressure was a little high for me yesterday and I had swelling in arms and legs,also have had headaches for a few days but I think they were more tension and anxiety than anything else,because I go to a satellite clinic it meant I had to be admitted to main hospital,they did bloods and I had a long talk with consultant who let me go home at 730pm last night as bloogs were good,just ordered as much rest as possible.

I feel now the stress of the breech is gone so I feel so much more relaxed and looking forward to hopefully going myself this time around:)

Loved the breastfeeding class also,really gald I went and I can't wait to give it a go this time,Yellowhen,you are indeed an inspiration and now and pro,good for you,delighted everything is going well for you and baby:)

Oh MM that's fantastic!!!! Good baby! Delighted to hear she's turned, it really is such a relief so hopefully you will have a weight lifted. Sorry to hear you had a rough day yesterday, maybe it is all connected and you were more stressed than you thought?

My fingers are gone beyond a joke now, really sore to bend them... Puffy in the face too. My bp is fine though so it's just good old fashioned water retention!

Nead enjoy the class, I got alot out of mine. The midwives know their stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well today's the day I have anomaly scan hoping to know what's happening and the plan of action. Fingers crossed its nothin at all. There talkin about induction as I'm showing signs of gestational diabetes in my pee pee test kinda always had glucose present and GTT test came back fine but the last two weeks glucose is higher and there's protein and somethin else present! When I get my finger pricked its around 6.9 on the sugars thank god only 4 weeks which I don't think I'll last body is defo gettin ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Fantastic MM!! delighted baby has turned :)

SS best of luck today...fingers crossed everything is ok. PMA ;)

Got the all clear baby is fine and average size and everything is in the right place and gettin all the nutrients it should be and cervix is the way it should be. Baby is near 6lb now so will be perfect size when arrives. They say they will check baby's kidneys when born to be safe but I can't stop smiling can't believe all the worry I had for nothin. She said she can't understand what the tech picked up on to worry me the way she did but it's all good now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That is great news SS

Brilliant news SS:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Congrats mm.... You must be delighted!! Did you feel her flip around at all?

Re breastfeeding, personally I did find it a little sore at the start. It's definitely not pain free. My little man guzzles away now but still the first 20 seconds when he latches on is often toe curling..it's fine after that and I almost forget he's there but I slightly (and respectfully I hope) disagree with how strange re the pain. I was very laid back about breastfeeding... If it happened, great but if not I was happy to use formula. Now that it works, I love the little bond we have while feeding. I express a bottle a day so my oh can feed him too, I think it's important that he gets to bond too.

Hope all your babies are moving south now and they don't keep you waiting too long :)

Girls I'm gonna have a complete whinge. The pain down low is unreal and talk about lightening crotch??? It nearly has me in tears although bouncing on the ball helps.... I think that means babies head is dropping which is obviously a good thing?

My face officially looks pregnant too, bloomin water retention!

I always knew the last few weeks wouldn't be fun but my god they better fly! DD 3 weeks on Wed, come on mini me!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Poor Digs, I feel for you!! I find my heartburn is much more constant, and I'm guzzling gaviscon all the time. And my ankles! I don't have any anymore! I'm wearing loose fitting uggs - so elegant!

• Advertisement

Due to what I'm assuming is baby being lower thankfully my heartburn isn't as bad as it was so holding my sympathies and hugs back at you, I'm glad to have relief there, it's rank!

The swelling and water retention is manky. Makes you feel so tight and uggggh. Can't imagine what it'd be like being preg in the summer or a hot country!

Digs my due date is 3 weeks from Wednesday too. Baby has been head down 2 months now so ribs have been beat from the kicking. As for pain/pressure down low I hear ya. Baby has ran out of room and started dropping the last 3 days or so. The end can't come quick enough. I swear I can feel baby's head hitting a bone down low and it makes me jump with the pain

Thankfully no heartburn ever

SS my ribs have been spared thankfully. I often feel intense pressure as if her bum is trying to push up through them but then she moves and I can breathe again :)

The lightening crotch however feels like she has a teeny pitchfork and is trying to poke her way out.... Ouchies :(

Already motherhood is so precious!!!

Aw I'd do it again once iv time to forget the pains. I think my baby has a fat bum it's funny to watch sometimes I can even see the leg so clear and felt the toes! My lil one is headbanging it's way out!

The kicks were painful but calming down now as the space is gettin tighter in there

yellow hen wrote: »
    Congrats mm.... You must be delighted!! Did you feel her flip around at all?

Re breastfeeding, personally I did find it a little sore at the start. It's definitely not pain free. My little man guzzles away now but still the first 20 seconds when he latches on is often toe curling..it's fine after that and I almost forget he's there but I slightly (and respectfully I hope) disagree with how strange re the pain. I was very laid back about breastfeeding... If it happened, great but if not I was happy to use formula. Now that it works, I love the little bond we have while feeding. I express a bottle a day so my oh can feed him too, I think it's important that he gets to bond too.

Hope all your babies are moving south now and they don't keep you waiting too long :)

Thanks yellowhen,about 2 nights before my appointment,i was lying in bed with a terrible pain in my side,i kinda felt she was lying across me so got up on all fours for a while and did some pelvic tilts,laid back down and went to sleep,i think she may have made her way down then:)

Girls we are all in the same boat,the lightning pain in cervix is just awful,i have it pretty constant any time i'm on my feet which is making getting around hard,but I feel things are getting in place for the birth,have been having a lot of cm,tmi but very snotty like and gross since sunday,think this may be my plug going gradually,i now have a space where my ribs are and feel baby is burrowing her way out,hopefullly all this action will make birthing easier when the time comes:)

MM sounds good you are seeing a bit of action! Did your daughter come on time or was she overdue?

MM sounds good you are seeing a bit of action! Did your daughter come on time or was she overdue?

Hi Digs,I was induced at 8 days over with her,there was no sign of any action from her whatsoever before I was induced,not a cramp or Braxton hick in site,it's definitely different this time,although I am aware that this could go on for 2-3 weeks,i'm now counting days-18 left to due:)

18 days omg!! Just did a count myself and I have 22.... Seems like yesterday I got a postive pregnancy test :)

Although mentally I am trying to add on another two weeks. Have no inclination of whether ill go early or late so preparing for late. Getting so so antsy to have her here safe though. Can't look at a baby and I'm a ball of mush.

MM the signs are looking promising, you may well be the first April mama, so exciting!

had a little chuckle there as knowing my track record baby will stay in way past again,it's just so unpredictable really,i've started on the red raspberry leaf tea and bouncing on ball as much as possible,I'm so ready to see her little face,it is by far the most amazing thing in the world to see there little face for the 1st time,i feel very blessed that we get to experience that all over again:)

Counting the days is a little shocking though,it has gone by so fast but I am ready to not be pregnant anymore and move to the next phase-breastfeeding:)

• Advertisement

Haha me too MM. Am bouncing and drinking the tea although not at the same time :P my poor doggie is bewildered by all the bouncing, he sits staring at me with the head half cocked, although he's going to get a bigger shock when she arrives!

Advertisement