Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Up to date land transfer process

• 24-07-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Some advice would be greatly appreciated here guys, if anyone has recent experience similar to what im heading into!

Hope to have planning sorted on a site at home in the next few weeks, so I want to go about getting the site transferred into my name from my father.

I have the green cert done and eventually will get all land transferred into my name but at the minute just want the site.

Do we need a solicitor to complete this transfer?

Do we need two solicitors?

Will I have to pay tax on the land?

Roughly what costs will we incurr in doing this transaction?

Thank ye for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

i think that you need two solicitors now ,or will very soon.you would probably be better off getting a whole field transferred as the value per acre will be lower than just a site,useful for your overall valuation for transfer purposes. remember that all gifts are added up over the years and to get agricultural relief your assets have to be 90%agricultural.as regards costs they are negotiable but i think a general rule is approx 1% of value of aaset plus outlay costs, could be a little more now.also you will have to pay stamp duty and get a valuation on the site/asset being transferred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

its baltic wrote: »
    Do we need a solicitor to complete this transfer?

In theory, probably not if you are not getting a loan and if you are versed in conveyancing practise. But I mean this in the same way that you probably don't need a builder either if you are compentent at building.

Do we need two solicitors?

Yes, which is something (as a solicitor) I can't quite fathom, it assumes the person getting land for "free" is exerting undue influence on a parent, when often it was the parents solicitor was doing the work.
    Will I have to pay tax on the land?

Interesting question. Id suggest you bring it up with your solicitor. More information here (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/certificates/young-trained-farmers.html). It doesn't immediately suggest a minimum amount that can be transferred, however there are conditions you need to be briefed on.

Duty is 1% where you are getting an asset from a parent. If however you are not married and it must go into joint names you are looking at 2%.

Roughly what costs will we incurr in doing this transaction?

Thank ye for your help.

Solicitor (one side of transaction): 700-1500+VAT
    Land Reg: €375 + €125 to register a mortgage + €60 to open a new folio
    Engineer to mark site & map: €200-€400
    Stamp duty as applicable
    Give another €150 for other outlays for the solicitor (searches commissioners fees etc).

Only thing negotiable are the professional fees of the Solicitor and Engineer.

Advertisement