Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you say hello to random people on street?

• 24-07-2012 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

So your walking down the street on way to supermarket or wherever and your eyes meet with a random person so you say hi. Does anyone else greet random strangers when they make eye contact and would you reply if they smiled or said hello to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

If it's a woman I don't be looking at her eyes ;)

Also in a large city I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah I do sometimes,especially elderly people for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Always.

Good manners cost nothing and are easily carried.

If that person doesn't smile or say hello back, they're not even worth speaking to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Very Hungry Catterpillar

In these parts we say "How's it going the day"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

If I make eye contact with a woman, I always nod and smile, like a true pervert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I just smile at them...beautiful women, I mean :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No, and the only people who do that around here are chuggers or junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Visions of crocodile dundee in new York for the first time walking down manhatton.

G'day
    G'day
    G'day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no but people do it a lot in arklow for some reason. never happens at home though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

So your walking down the street on way to supermarket or wherever and your eyes meet with a random person so you say hi. Does anyone else greet random strangers when they make eye contact and would you reply if they smiled or said hello to you?
    Of course, you have to be courteous if you make eye contact with someone. If you don't acknowledge them in some way it's almost as if you're expressing complete disdain for that person.

Do you yourself OP? I wasn't too sure from your post. I think you were implying that you do though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Yeah, as someone else said manners cost nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah I do sometimes,especially elderly people for some reason.

Same here. I think it's because they always look intimated when you're walking towards them, so I feel the need to show them I'm not a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

If its in a town/city, no. If its walking a country road, probably would just say hi to acknowlege them, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

if im walking my dog i do sometimes i dunno why:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I gave a few French a sneaky "Bonjour!" on the Aran Islands a couple of weeks ago. And I suppose I do it the odd time to other people, depending on my mood and whether I'm in a hurry or not.

Now if I'm out for a run, that's a different kettle of fish. The Runner's Salute, given to fellow runners, is a time-honoured tradition. A lift of the finger/semi-wave and a grunt normally suffices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Yup mainly old people tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Do you yourself OP? I wasn't too sure from your post. I think you were implying that you do though.

I do indeed Teddy, hate sometimes when I don't get anything back tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

if the person im meeting looks friendly il smile, if they're lucky il give them a nod too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

Yes I do this all the time, I get some sort of sick thrill out of the looks of confusion on some peoples faces (who is he, do I know him, does he know me etc)

I also randomly wave animatedly to people from my car for the same reasons...its a hoot, definitely worth trying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

amacca wrote: »

I also randomly wave animatedly to people from my car for the same reasons...its a hoot, definitely worth trying

I was bored last week driving from Kilkenny to Limerick so I started waving at every car that passed and was counting how many would wave back, childish but good fun at the same time and it passed the journey home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Im one of those muppets that walk down the road with a big goofy grin on their faces, especially if Im listening to music.....

So anyone who walks by normally gets a Hi from me, or depending how loud my music is, they get a NICE DAY ISNT IT!? and they sh*t themselves and run :)

Something to do with old people though, I always try extra hard to have a little chat with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I only salute if saluted. Gave up saluting just got sick of getting nothing back. Will always salute an older person- or any couple that I can't smell downwind or wearing a tracksuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If I'm walking down Grafton St, no.

If I'm walking down a country lane with no traffic, yes.

Incidentally, spent some time in China some years back. Lads were always kind of shouting 'hello'.....not saying it, but shouting it......and they'd turn around to their mates and laugh, as if they'd done something really mad. Got to be quite annoying after the 300th time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

HELLO
    EVERYBODY!!

*WAVES*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I always greet people when I am out walking, how you greet people seems to be different depending on what part of the country you are in, for example in Tipperary the standard greeting seems to be..how are you, but in Dublin its a ..hello and maybe a nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Only people that say hello when walking down the street are druggies asking for money and chuggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Where To wrote: »
    HELLO
    EVERYBODY!!

*WAVES*
    :rolleyes:
    (He's pretending not to see you:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Being from the countryside, one of the requisites of driving is that I MUST greet every car I drive past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mariaalice wrote: »
    I always greet people when I am out walking, how you greet people seems to be different depending on what part of the country you are in, for example in Tipperary the standard greeting seems to be..how are you, but in Dublin its a ..hello and maybe a nod.

I salute or nod if the person doesn't look like a mentaller. Of course, here the greeting is "Well", Wexford borrowed our "Well" and put a "hon" with it, thats the greeting you'll get there, especially anyone from Bishopswater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Another thing I have observed is that in rural areas everyone greats ever one else and its across all ages where as in urban areas greeting people is less common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Would always greet people when walking in the country.

I would greet people in town at "non commuting" times (if that makes sense)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Being from the countryside, one of the requisites of driving is that I MUST greet every car I drive past.

I love doing that when I'm down the country, giving the random two fingers hello wave over the steering wheel to EVERYONE. It's the little things really, that make your day. Like discombobulating other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Yep, I even try it the odd time in Dublin if tis quiet but the response rate is very poor there. Rude shower o bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I tend to say hello to elderly people as if to say, "Hello, don't be afraid, I won't mug or assault you I'm a nice guy see"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Only if they know me, whoever i am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yes if I'm in a quietish place where you are walking along and just meet one person, but no if it's a very busy area.

Reminds me of this for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Where To wrote: »
    HELLO
    EVERYBODY!!

*WAVES*
    HEY DR. NICK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

People my own age or younger, generally no. I'd always say hello or how're ya doing to older people whether I know them to see or not and they generally respond, probably because they were brought up in a time when people had manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I always do it, 1 of the reasons is I consider myself to be a people person, Costs nothing to be nice and polite. Can't stand people who are so stuck up and think they are the bees knees. Only going to live once and you never know who your going to meet next

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Depends really, in my home town i would, walking through Dublin, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Used to say Hi to the people on the street but not so much anymore. I've found people tend to look away when I pass them these days (even middle-aged and elderly people)

Maybe it's me but I think Galway has changed in the past few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Yeah I'd do it, especially if in small towns and villages where the two of us are the only two on the street. I make an effort with other drivers too, again, if out in the country. Seems rude not to.
    Running & cycling - it's compulsory to acknowledge others that are torturing themselves too. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kilnamanagh

I always salute people walking through my local small town, if I was walking through a town I didn't know I'd only nod or probably mutter something inaudible.
    Driving the smaller backroads I would salute every car I pass, I go for the 'flick of the wrist technique that turns into a pistol' salute, usually gets a good response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

In Downpatrick I do that quite a lot, especially in the morning. I was just the same in Belfast.

In London, on the other hand, that's something that one would not do, especially on the Underground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

No, I'm not a mental patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Being a Dub, It's something I feel is a countryside thing, waving/raising the finger passing a car/ saying hello walking home late at night.

When I went on holidays as a child to the countryside it was common practice and fun, as the countryside person would usually initiate the action first.

I usually do it to the older people in Dublin, they seem to acknowledge it and understand it; it also let's them know you aren't a mass murderer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Haha I always greet people on the street if I come head to head and make eye contact. I might nod at them, but in most cases I will utter the usual words "Are ya well". Suppose i'm used to doing it from my job. I feel it's rude to make eye contact with someone and not say hello. 9 times out of 10 people respond with a simple hello, which is grand by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Were the harm in giving some one a smile.. it take 14 mussel to smile and loads to frown I like smiling people always greet you better :D

Snowie wrote: »
    Were the harm in giving some one a smile.. it take 14 mussel to smile and loads to frown I like smiling people always greet you better :D

Ffs I have to go out and buy a shitload of seafood just to smile :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement