Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite magician/illusionist/psychic

• 24-07-2012 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Dynamo and Derren Brown are my favourite. David Blaine has obviously done some amazing things too :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Enda Kenny. Enda thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

FLATHAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Tommy Cooper RIP just like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Confab wrote: »
    Enda Kenny. Enda thread.

Delusionist =/= Illusionist. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I love the amazing Johnathan. Cower as he eats five razor blades!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I didnt think this was something people generally follow, let alone have a "favorite". The most magic Ive seen is either that magic show they gave us in primary school or david blaine stuck in a box on tv.

Also op I should note that Kagawa is Japanese, not Chinese, just incase you wanted to fix your sig :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I love Derren Brown too, would love to go and see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

rednik wrote: »
    Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Derren Brown by a mile, due to the fact that he explains, at length, what he was doing/the real purpose of the illusion/how it was done etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Keith Barry is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm not into any of them.

This has been a useful contribution to the thread, hasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

nice_very wrote: »
    Derren Brown by a mile, due to the fact that he explains, at length, what he was doing/the real purpose of the illusion/how it was done etc..

Read his books, you'll end up confused as to whether or not anything he says is true, including the stuff in the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Always been a fan of Penn and Teller to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Ze number vun psychic in ze world Flathan of course!

Anyvun who disagrees vill have to renowate zeir flat for ze next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Does Jesus count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rednik wrote: »

it wasnt like that, it was like that

even though he messed up, it was part of the act. in reality he was a very gifted magician and an excellent comedian

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I didnt think this was something people generally follow, let alone have a "favorite".
    Exactly. Most people are naming the only two or three magicians they've every heard of as their 'favourite'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Exactly. Most people are naming the only two or three magicians they've every heard of as their 'favourite'.

I've heard of Derek Acorah, Keith Barry, David Blaine, Yuri Gellar, David Copperfield, Penn & Teller but I chose Derren Brown and Dynamo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Keith Barry is brilliant.

He's terribad.

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    I've heard of Derek Acorah, Keith Barry, David Blaine, Yuri Gellar, David Copperfield, Penn & Teller but I chose Derren Brown and Dynamo :)

he's an hallucinagenic scouser, not a magician. sam is probably the fella on the dole counter

he's an hallucinagenic scouser, not a magician. sam is probably the fella on the dole counter

psychic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

You'll like this...not alot but you will like it....Paul Daniels for me.
    Put the gic back into magic when times were tough and we all had one telly.
    And Debbie McGee wouldnt minded having been sawn in her box.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭leinster_fan

Ze number vun psychic in ze world Flathan of course!

Anyvun who disagrees vill have to renowate zeir flat for ze next year.

Anyvun who disagrees will have their moneybag stolen....in my opinion!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

The gay fella on RTE with the glasses back in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭leinster_fan

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

Derek Mooney??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Used to be one on Sky 1 a few years back, forget what it was called but the guy doing it wore a black mask over his head & wore all black clothes. That was good one.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Used to be one on Sky 1 a few years back, forget what it was called but the guy doing it wore a black mask over his head & wore all black clothes. That was good one.

Was thinking of him, he revealed himself then :D What a letdown :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Read his books, you'll end up confused as to whether or not anything he says is true, including the stuff in the books.

books??? if they make fillums of them I will watch them...

now... sleep, right the way down...:cool:

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

fergus gibson? that puddle jumper is from around the corner from me in raheny, yet i never saw him once in order to kick him in the gee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I think it's very unfair and a probably a troll that you put psychics in the same category as magicians and illusionists. Magicians and illusionists are only doing tricks and playing with people. Psychics are charlatans and are actively evil.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I think it's very unfair and a probably a troll that you put psychics in the same category as magicians and illusionists. Magicians and illusionists are only doing tricks and playing with people. Psychics are charlatans and are actively evil.

Well Derren Brown is down as a psychic isn't he? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

James Randi. A brilliant stage magician and scientific researcher who has been running the JREF Paranormal Challenge since the 1960s. At present the prize fund stands at over $1,000,000 of Randi's own money which he'll pay to any individual who can prove in front of him and a review panel to have psychic 'ability', 'powers'. Keith Barry cites him as being one of his career influences.

He's probably most famous for his long standing feud with Uri Geller who he has publicly exposed as a fraud on numerous occasions. Randi learnt and perfected Geller's methods of trickery and recreated the illusions in front of live audiences whilst explaining the technique. Geller has attempted to sue Randi in the past to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Derren Brown is unbelievable...went to see a live show of his once. I left believing that he has to be an alien living among us with supernatural powers!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Samich wrote: »
    Well Derren Brown is down as a psychic isn't he? :)

Nope, he discredits the whole area of psychics, did a program on it exposing some Liverpool fella, very funny.

Derren Brown is also a very accomplished painter.
    Check out his work
    http://derrenbrown.co.uk/artwork/

https://www.google.ie/search?q=derren+brown+art&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=lax&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnso&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UqUPUPieJYiwhAfkkIDIAQ&ved=0CDwQ_AUoAQ&biw=825&bih=387

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Love derren brown too some amazing tricks though i wonder how 'real' it all is.

On a side not isn't kawaga Japanese - why do you have the Chinese flag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dynamo, been watching his stuff on Youtube before the Magician Impossible series.

Some of his tricks and illusions are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Derren Brown is probably a polymath - someone who excels in several different (and often unrelated) disciplines to genius level.

The kind of person who wins a gold medal at the Olympics and then later invents a cure for cancer. One of those bastards.

Himself or Penn & Teller would probably be the ones I'd pay the most to see. Because they don't pretend that it's magic or mystical, like Blane does. They say straight up that it's just trickery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Paul Daniels.

Had his magic sets and all as a wee lad so I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Going to see Keith Barry against my will on Friday. Is he any use?

Suppose my favourite/s would be Penn & Teller. This is just boss:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Penn and Teller would be my favourites. Lost interest in Derren Brown after that lottery prediction trick - camera tricks just seemed a bit weak for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I went to see that Irish dude with the Asylum show; can only talk for myself but it depended for me on sheer goodwill. There I was fake orgasming in front of hundreds of on-lookers thinking "wtf am I doing?" If you're told you're going to do something, and you're given no time to think, and you've loads of people looking at you wanting to be entertained....
    I actually felt quite grossed out for a good while after. And disappointed in myself that I didn't say "eh, No buddy". But imagine how bad I would have felt just sitting back down... awkward...

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Love derren brown too some amazing tricks though i wonder how 'real' it all is.

On a side not isn't kawaga Japanese - why do you have the Chinese flag?

It's a joke! :pac:

Anyone been ever at a Derren Brown show and he's known what the person was thinking of? How does he do it?

Advertisement