Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland online store prices?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I loved the old high street ESB shops from years ago as you were guaranteed that they would beat joe bloggs up the street on the price of a new tv or washing machine etc and you could even pay for it in instalments on the bill. but whoever now runs your online store now is taking the piss with some of the prices they charge.

I want to support local stores and businesses but ye are kinda of making it hard with some of the prices ye charge in the online store.

One example...

Eneloop Rechargeable Pre charged Battery (pack of 4)

Your price €18.99
    Amazon price £7.30 or €9.38 Link

Electric Ireland charging an extra €9.61 for the same item?.. and thats only one thing ive spotted on the site.

Can anything be done about the prices to bring them more into line? I do under stand that ye might not have the purchasing power of a giant like amazon or whoever else, but i would be more inclined to purchase from ye if prices were that little bit more in line with what they should be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Access,

I will send your feedback/suggestion now to the people who look after the Electric Ireland online Store.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Access,

We offer competitive prices on the majority of our products and do check to see how feasible it is to reduce costs, but for some items we simply cannot compete with large online vendors, e.g. Amazon. Much time however is spent sourcing the best quality, most innovative products for our customers.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Hi Una,

Thanks for the reply.

I do agree with you as above on the problems competing with other larger retailers, be it on-line or bricks and mortar...

But, in fairness charging over 100% extra on a simple item such as a pack of 4 rechargeable batteries is a bit much. And like i say that's only one item of many i have spotted at higher than average prices in the online store.

A few items i have been pricing in your on-line store over the past while i purchased elsewhere - (mainly from our local builders merchant and local electrical supplier) as in every case i got it cheaper (the exact same item) each time.

I am not saying your online store needs to cheaper for everything... but in-line with other suppliers would be a start.

Customer generation and retention is a huge part of your company policy im sure you would agree, but whoever is in charge of driving sales for the on-line store is not doing a very good job in my opinion.

Your on-line store is well presented and very easy to navigate, but to be honest, I don't think i personally would use it again - even to check prices, mainly due to the higher prices ye charge for a lot of items.

As i say Una, thanks again for the reply... I don't want to sound like im ranting and knocking the on-line store, but I feel strongly enough about supporting Irish companies and local businesses and just feel like Electric Ireland are following the Littlewoods way of doing things and charging high prices on the majority of products available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Access, you are looking back at the ESB Retail stores with rose-coloured glasses. They were certainly not cheaper than elsewhere. They were much more expensive! I know - I used to work there and we bought appliances up the street as they were chaper; even with our staff discount. ESB retail only hung on because people could put instalments on their electricity bills over 5 years. Cash Sales were only 3% of the total. So no real change there :)

Advertisement