Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fencing staples -rusting away

• 24-07-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

We did a lot of fencing this time last year, used top brand and heavy duty materials as much as possible. I was walking past one part of the fence yesterday and was disgusted to see that most of the staples used have rusted already. (see photos)
    I think the problem is that the staples used were electro-plated with zinc and advertised as galvanised as opposed to being hot dip galvanised.
    The big problem is that the rusty staple will prematurely rust the wire.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I put up a fence last year, I'll have a check tomorrow. That's not a good situation at all :(

I know of a particular farmer who thinks economising is saving rusty staples to use on new wire, and also putting rusty barbed wire over new wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

They don't look galvanised. Electroplated at best.

What kind of timber is it? Oak and stainless steel don't go well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Milton09 wrote: »
    We did a lot of fencing this time last year, used top brand and heavy duty materials as much as possible. I was walking past one part of the fence yesterday and was disgusted to see that most of the staples used have rusted already. (see photos)
    I think the problem is that the staples used were electro-plated with zinc and advertised as galvanised as opposed to being hot dip galvanised.
    The big problem is that the rusty staple will prematurely rust the wire.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    I was totally disheartened to see a section of sea fence that my dad or grandad never fenced as it was an ESB pole and steel stakes and concrete job that I did 18momths ago and staples gone all rustic on
    New wire. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Figerty wrote: »

Just standard pressure treated posts (although the post in the photo was treated with green cuprinol - but thats not the cause)

Was looking at them in the co-op yesterday, there seems to be 2 types , nice shiny staples that seem to be made from plated rod and then formed and then the proper type made from plain formed rod which is then hot dip galvanised.

I'll have to pull all mine and replace:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Just standard pressure treated posts (although the post in the photo was treated with green cuprinol - but thats not the cause)

Was looking at them in the co-op yesterday, there seems to be 2 types , nice shiny staples that seem to be made from plated rod and then formed and then the proper type made from plain formed rod which is then hot dip galvanised.

Make sure you buy longer one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Figerty wrote: »

Why would you pull em? Unless you were bored? They are in now sure may aswell stay there until they rust away, you'll get a few yrs outa them anyway!

Advertisement