Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about student accounts

Options
  • 24-07-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I have just found a summer job, meaning I need a bank account for my employer to pay me. I have only just finished my Leaving cert exams, so I presume that I can't open a third level student bank account? I recently found my old BOI 365 card, as I did open up an account 2 years ago when I was in transition year, however I did not have any money in the account and I have not used for 2 years, so I'm not sure what the status of it is.

Should I check with my local branch if the account still exists? If not, what are my options? I can't open another 2nd level account as I'm finished in secondary school, yet I can't open a 3rd level as I won't receive college offers until later in August. How should I go about trying to refresh my old account/get a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi ehshup,

Thanks for getting in touch. The account you've previously opened will still exist unless you have requested that it be closed at some point. After only two years, it's quite possible your account hasn't gone dormant yet. If you check with your branch, they will be able to confirm this for you. Just make sure you bring photo ID with you when you go.

If the account has gone dormant, you'll need to make a small lodgement to the account. Make sure the dormant indicator is lifted if it is there at all. They will also be able to order a new debit/ATM card for you if you need one. A member of the branch staff will be able to check your existing card to see if it's still in good working order. Also, based on the circumstances, they should be able to change over your second-level account to a third-level one. You may be asked to supply proof of your acceptance into college at a later date.

I hope this answers all of your questions. If you think of anything else or if there's anything else we can do for you just let us know.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement