Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wwoofing close to cities?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am going to Australia soon.
    My boyfriend wants to work on farms, I want to get a job in a city. We are hoping that we will be able to compromise and live near both.

Has anyone tried this? Did they succeed?!

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

When you say he wants to work on farms? Do you mean as a career or to fulfill the 3 months Visa requirement?

If it's the latter then you haven't a chance as it goes by postcodes and the qualifying postcodes are no where near big cities.

If its the former then are you expecting Sydney / Melbourne type cities or something like Townsville / Cairns? And what type of farms?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Batgurl wrote: »
    If it's the latter then you haven't a chance as it goes by postcodes and the qualifying postcodes are no where near big cities.

That's not really accurate.

One of the things I've said repeatedly on these forums is work smart, not work hard - CHECK the postcodes. I spent four years living in a town within an hour's drive of Melbourne / an hour on the train from Melbourne - and I mean the CBD, not even northern suburbs. It was one of the qualifying postcodes. If you lived in a northerly suburb you could have commuted daily 45 mins each way.

Check the job listings, check the postcodes, and then search for the jobs that count in the postcodes that are near you. You don't have to bust your arse fruit picking in Woopwoop for 88 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Mandurah (6210) in WA meets the Postcode requirement.
    Its 50 mins from Perth by Train. Living in Mandurah you could commute to the cit to work while you partner finds work in the area. Alternatively move halfway between Perth and Mandurah you could work in the City and your partner could find work in a compliant postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lamplight

Thanks for your prompt replies everybody :)

I should have given more information ...

He would like to work on a farm to gain knowledge, it's not for a second year visa so we don't have to confine ourselves to the postcodes required for that.

I was thinking smaller towns, Cairns, Brisbane, Perth as farmland is obviously not as easy to find in the big cities!

We will join the Wwoofing Australia and will be able to narrow our search using their information.

I was just hoping for a little reassurance that it can be done,

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

There are parts of the hills right beside Adelaide that are farm land - within 30 minutes drive if you hit traffic right and some areas that would even be on bus routes for commuting. If you lived in a suburb in that direction you'd be well placed. Really beautiful areas too, some amazing vineyards but also plenty of other stuff, and some interesting biodynamic places too if he's looking to get that kind of experience!

May not be the biggest city but in terms of getting around and to the outside quickly it's pretty handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lamplight

Thanks,
    I'll look into that

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

If your talking cities Adelaide in SA or Hobart in Tasimania would be your best best as anywhere in these states counts as a regional area

If your looking for somewhere in Western Australia Bunbury or Busselton would be good options. They ain't cities but are big enough that you won't be too isolated.

Advertisement