Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable reading for 6 year old to start off.

Options
  • 24-07-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Looking to get my 6year old son some suitable reading material to start off. What would be good book's to get him to read. And more importantly to hold his interest?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How to you mean "to start off?" Can he read a little already?Does he know some of the high frequency sight words(aka the Dolch list?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

How to you mean "to start off?" Can he read a little already?Does he know some of the high frequency sight words(aka the Dolch list?)

Ya he can read "for his age", what I want him to do is get him into reading other than the book's he reads from school. I bring him to the library but he never seems to find any books he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi, would highly recommend the Dr Zeus collection - !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Dr Seuss books are always a winner.

When I was 6 I loved the Ladybird Classics, Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter etc, and they're equally popular with my nieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I got my lad (just turned 7) horrid henry books, ive also picked up diary of a whimpy kid even though they are for age 9+

I had c.s. lewis narnia books but there are a few hard words in those, so it's been shelved.

• Advertisement

Judith Kerrs Cat Books are a good starting level. Very limited word pool (youll be sick of the word "said" by the end of it) but good stories generated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Oxford reading tree series is good for that age group. Is he just finished juniors or seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Roald Dahl! Fantastic mr fox, the enormous crocodile, the giraffe the pelly and me - great for starting off :)

Oxford reading tree series is good for that age group. Is he just finished juniors or seniors?

He's just finished seniors, thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Roald Dahl! Fantastic mr fox, the enormous crocodile, the giraffe the pelly and me - great for starting off :)

+1 my little man loves Roald Dahl, as well as Horrid Henry. He also really enjoys looking at books that suit his interests, for example he has a book on natural events which he loves and he has an Egypt book, one on space. Anything like that will help to keep their interest.

• Advertisement

If he has just finished seniors the O'Brien Panda series are good, if he is able for them.The format is attractive to children, not too much text on any page, yet like a "proper" book.Have they been doing Jolly Phonics in school?Roadl Dahl may be a little hard atthe moment,as the words can be difficult. you could get him the audio books and let him "read" along with the paper books to get him started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My mum started reading me harry potter when I was 6, couldnt read it on my own but loved her reading to me! Id say Roald Dahl is a safe bet, Im not sure if they are still around but I used to love Funny Bones books, and also not sure if you can get this but the Puppy Patrol series by Jenny Dale were my absolute favourites (if he likes animals!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It can vary depending on what the child's intrests are.
    I would suggest that if there is a library near you that you take him.
    That way he can choose and if it's hit and miss you can just take them
    back and try again.

Thanks everyone,

We go to the library but he would pick out annuals to bring home. I will start adding one or two of the above to the list.

I usually do the reading to both of them (4 year old aswell) but want him to do some on his own.

Advertisement