Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dabbing hand needed

• 24-07-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

hi dudes,i had a DAB radio in the kitchen and working perfectly while placed on top of a huge fridge,i just taped the "wire thread" aerial to the side of the fridge and the reception was perfect!
    now,we've been doing some redecorating and the radio is on a floating shelf on the opposite wall facing the fridge
    and yes you've guessed it, the reception is sheeyite.
    i can still get the stations,just about;but this involves daily moving of the "thread",and it wont work next day even if i leave the "thread" in its last position
    should i go to local electric shop for some wire to modify?
    oh,i've already tried rescanning.
    hope this kinda makes sense,

thanking you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need an outdoor aerial for reliable DAB. Irish DAB coverage is rubbish.

Try a decent FM Radio :)

The wire has to be the correct length. Making it longer usually is no use for VHF (FM or DAB).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

thanx for that
    any idea what an outdoor aerial looks like and where to purchase one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An RTE VHF Band III aerial suits.

Or you can try a Discone. They work 27Mhz to 1200MHz. DAB is about 220MHz VHF RTE TV is 175MHz to 270MHz band. VHF FM Radio is 87MHz to 108MHz. So a Discone does FM and DAB and doesn't need pointed. A VHF TV aerial gives more signal for DAB, but needs correctly pointed and isn't so good for VHF-FM (though still will beat an indoor aerial).

Do NOT ever purchase a "Halo" type VHF aerial. They are useless and obsolete as they were for horizontal polarisation. All VHF-FM and VHF-DAB in Ireland is either vertical, slant or circular polarised to suit a car aerial or Telescopic whip.

Use satellite TV type double screened coax. But unless the radio has a socket for an external aerial, it's no use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

thanx for that
    any idea what an outdoor aerial looks like and where to purchase one?

There are two very similar videos here on Youtube showing what one looks like and how to assemble it. Not something I have any experience of but the guy looks as if he knows what he is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIUZsHuT01w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w713hKkZk8

Probably loads more on Youtube if you take a look.

Advertisement