Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lambs not thriving

• 24-07-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

have lambs in very good grass...not thriving at all..is probably the fact that they are wet all the time and the grass is basically glorified water :mad:..thinking of different options as i don't want too many lambs looking at me come october/november, could start feeding them but afraid of cost :eek:... any views on that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Did they have a vitamin dose recently?

I find localboost works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

point me to animals that have had a decent thrive this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

I have found that lambs after they are weaned really benifit from a good dose of cobalt. 20ml at least each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Spot on.
    Had a good chat with our vet the other evening and she said that 90% of stock is just hanging on as the grass is no use. They don't expect winter thrive to be much better as silage quality is low and meal prices heading up and up. Even the pure lack of sunlight is affecting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

Thrive is not great but as advised you should dose them for cobalt every two weeks or so - you will see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This year is appalling; driving through mountains and seeing grass shaved at a time when it is usually greener.

Our ll is feeding cattle now as the grass is so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Since i woke early and it was a dryish morning i decided to go and footbath and dose my remaining 100 ram lambs. They have been weaned a month now and the ram lambs and the ewe lambs seperated and on drier ground which was reseeded last year with a clover and chicory mix. I have NEVER seen my ram lambs do as bad as they are doing this year, between scald, dirty arses and just general poor thrive -i'm gonna have to sell them as stores as i can't seem to get flesh on them and they have a creep feeder with them for the last month. they all got a shot of cobalt, were dysected and wormed, although worm levels were non existent when i did a worm count.
    :(

Advertisement