Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bricked computer?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭

Tried updating bios on a computer but now the computer is on but no picture? Did I **** up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

• Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good and bad news. Pc has a picture but im getting that dreaded blue screen. The problem seems to be startup repair offline. Tried windows repair via windows 7 but no luck, just won't repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Can you reflash the bios from a USB stick?

Have you set your BIOS back up again?

Headshot wrote: »
    Good and bad news. Pc has a picture but im getting that dreaded blue screen. The problem seems to be startup repair offline. Tried windows repair via windows 7 but no luck, just won't repair
    is the bluescreen after you did the cmos reset ?

Can you reflash the bios from a USB stick?

Have you set your BIOS back up again?
    not sure I can get into the bios alright, so i presume I can but I got a legit bios I thought so id be worried getting another bios. My motherboard is http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD53.html
    bpb101 wrote: »
    is the bluescreen after you did the cmos reset ?

I never had the the blue screen before but maybe it happen during the ****ed up bios or after the reset of the mobo, very hard to tell

• Advertisement

If you've cleared your CMOS it could be something as simple as your drive going from AHCI mode to something else.

If you've cleared your CMOS it could be something as simple as your drive going from AHCI mode to something else.

Yes iv cleared cmos because I couldnt even get a picture until I saw bpb video post

Load optimised defaults then check your HDD/SSD setting are what they were - if you don't know what they were you've just learnt a lesson the hardway and need to experiment.

Load optimised defaults then check your HDD/SSD setting are what they were - if you don't know what they were you've just learnt a lesson the hardway and need to experiment.

what you mean by "check your ssd setting" ?

Iv tried that load optimised settings after cmos reset but no look. What iv also noticed is the hard drive isnt in the boot options

(ssd windows 7 and HD games et)

Right this is getting a bit confused...

The BIOS is the Basic Input Output System for your PC - if you clear the CMOS (its memory) it has no idea what settings your computer used to have.

Before you clear a CMOS (or upgrade a BIOS) you should be sure you know what settings you have as you will need to set them all up again.

I take it we're at the stage of not knowing the settings?

Let me confirm you have an SSD attached to a SATA port?

That SATA port needs to be told what mode etc to use. If its set to the wrong mode it will blue screen windows. Is it set to AHCI mode?

• Advertisement

I'm assuming also that Windows is installed on that SSD...

Chapter 3 - 16 of your main board manual shows you how to change the SATA port mode. Set it to AHCI

Your little lights gone out so you've probably gone to bed... thats where I'm going... mine not yours. Don't worry you'll get it up and running again you wont have done any permanent damage - not like the old days! :D

Everyone does this to a PC the first time the mess around with the BIOS.

If setting it to AHCI doesn't work try SATA then try RAID.

man i was so close

I enabled all my sata drives and by god My computer was alive but I turned it off to get the hard drive in it but im getting no picture again

this is really ****ed up **** here tbh

edit

this is getting to be the good, the bad and the ugly at this stage lol

Guess what my monitor is giving me false readings. its not picking up on the connection, for someone unknown reason I tried it in my tv and by jingo it was working

I think it was the 2 things the monitor and the bios fail that ****ed me up and had me scratching my head. MY bloody monitor dying on me when money is tight too:(

Thanks alot GCDLawstudent and bpb101 for the help, i really appreicate it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Monitor probably is fine, you just need to get within its ranges. If the default boot was 60hz say and its a 50hz only panel, then it wont be able to display anything.

Thanks for the PM man awfully polite of you. Let me know if its not fixed and I'll try help you as much as I can.

Make sure when you were clearing the cmos that you didnt knock anything lose(fan or graphics card or something) . Afaik , the blue screen is a hardware issues. Never got it as i mostly use linux and dont think ive ever got it on my windows

sorry for the bump but didnt want to start a new thread since the title you can say is still on the money so to speak

So i put my computer in sleep mode but now it wont turn on. Tired plugging it out for a few seconds and pressing power for a few seconds, nothing. Tried to reset cmos, no luck.

Was working perfect before the sleep. Maybe its the psu but there's a light on in the motherboard so im not sure what to think

tried the paper clip in the psu to see was it still alive and yes it is. I really thought that was the problem (dead psu) im a bit stumped now

Stop resetting your CMOS!!! :D

Unplug for five minutes then try again. Try shorting the pins on the MB istead of using the power switch.

When you say 'tried a paperclip' in the PSU - what do you mean?

• Advertisement

Jesus lol...

so turning on from the motherboard worked slightly but i have the infinite turning on and off problem

You just short it to get it on obviously... sorry have to check.

Goods news kinda. I finally got it started up now. My main grief is the keyboard and mouse power on and off during the boot, which isnt right

Mine always do that - its the USB driver being loaded.

Mine always do that - its the USB driver being loaded.

It was never like that before thou

Thanks for the help anyway GCD

It was never like that before thou

Thanks for the help anyway GCD

try using a ps2 keyboard and mouse if you can till you boot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What bios version are you using now? You should update to the newest one, the default bios can often be pretty crap depending on how new your board was, if it's the first rev it may not have support for your hardware yet.

Sticking bit's of metal and resetting the bios physically are also last ditch efforts, your always running the risk of destroying the board with static electricity every time you go poking around inside.

I've encountered problems with putting Pcs into sleep mode, I think your motherboard has to support it. I don't put my work PC into sleep mode because it can't handle it and I couldn't be arsed fixing it, I just don't use sleep mode. It goes crazy for a while and looks like it's fubar but it eventually comes right again.

I'd say the latest bios update may fix those issues just make sure you get the right one.

Advertisement